Do you ever feel like a prisoner in Thailand?

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Most of them have, I never been there myself in Bangkok but pretty sure there is something. But maybe not, maybe that is why Bangkok is always so much worse in these situations. It would explain the stories.

Maybe IDC is the BKK holding cell - not the office in the Govt complex which is unlikely. Smaller stations probably have them and I know the OLD arany/poipet border office had them (although not from personal experience)

1 minute ago, mokwit said:

Maybe IDC is the BKK holding cell - not the office in the Govt complex which is unlikely. Smaller stations probably have them and I know the OLD arany/poipet border office had them (although not from personal experience)

Yeah I think actually usually people are moved to the police station, in that area, after they are processed. From there they are then moved elsewhere.

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

and now there are rumors of immigration spot checks happening at random.

Coincidentally, we had a second visit from immigration just the last week, not from the main Hat Yai immigration office but from the office in Sadao. This I was told had nothing to do with my extension, which I'd collected a couple weeks before, rather they said their task was to check on the validity of marriages; checking for fake marriages. All very polite, a few photographs, some questions, sign a document saying we're married witnessed by someone not a family member.

So this may become a regular thing?

I still don't think the extension and 90 day reporting procedures are particularly arduous, I've lived and worked in a lot of countries and I don't find Thailand's rules to be especially difficult. Certainly it's no prison, I have a passport and I can leave whenever I wish.

1 minute ago, Stocky said:

Certainly it's no prison, I have a passport and I can leave whenever I wish.

Yeah but if you have a girlfriend/wife and a kid that suddenly is not as easy, as of passport limitations on her side.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Celsius said:

This is something I do when I go with wife to do an extension. She helps me out as she owns a house, and this is where I am registered. 

It may become a bid deal, but last time (when I did a 60-day extension to visit wife) they did not even fine me for missing 3 90-day reports, they were completely clueless. 

This is why I have a great confidence they will never implement this tax nonsense, They are just not very smart to track even 1% of what they proposed.

You make a big thinking mistake there as the tax reporting systems are global and functional. The immigration system is not bad or complicated because they are incompetent, it is like that due to the corruption and money involved.

Just look at the Thai banks, they had more functions like inter transfers 24/7 etc etc since over a decade already, that the west only got since a few years. They are much more modern than the very old systems we still use in the west on all these ends. It's peanuts for them to make a list of each person.

Then the next argument is enforcement. They don't need to enforce at all, they only need to catch you on a random check and now it's a crime too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

3 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I have a passport and I can leave whenever I wish.

So long as you have filed your taxes might be a condition in the future - they did it before and did themselves a lot of damage by doing it - high level global experts Thailand needed for its development who could choose their assignment avoided Thailand as "that place that won't let you out without a mountain of paperwork"

• Sad 1

If your staying at a hotel --then you must show your passport at check in--they photo copy and the inform I.O at the end of the day list of guests.

If your renting a condo etc then why wouldn't your passport be there if you are genuine.

Yes the area around Arab town Soi 3 -5 will be policed more often-- and if you have a black face--rightly or wrongly you will be stopped more often

But these sort of fear posts --really grasp at straws --I mean if they put you in Prison, then when are they ever going to see your passport which is at your home 

Most embassy's warn you about Passport thefts,   carrying passports  ---

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

If your renting a condo etc then why wouldn't your passport be there if you are genuine.

Well, if they are out with the big black van they might just decide to sort through the nights catch back at Imm rather than go back to the condo of each and everyone everyone they stopped. Thai officialdom does things in a way that suits them not you.

I admit I am describing a worst case scenario, but it is possible and not fear mongering.

Edited by mokwit

2 minutes ago, mokwit said:

So long as you have filed your taxes might be a condition in the future - they did it before and did themselves a lot of damage by doing it - high level global experts Thailand needed for its development who could choose their assignment avoided Thailand as "that place that won't let you out without a mountain of paperwork"

if they ever return to those dark, dark days then even I will be shocked.

The amount of irreparable harm they will self inflict onto their own tourism industry would be catastrophic and would defy all logic, even the Thai version..

bob.

Just now, bob smith said:

if they ever return to those dark, dark days then even I will be shocked.

The amount of irreparable harm they will self inflict onto their own tourism industry would be catastrophic and would defy all logic, even the Thai version..

bob.

It is mostly Russian "tourists" that stay more than 180 days.

Just now, mokwit said:

It is mostly Russian "tourists" that stay more than 180 days.

Indeed they do.

Though I wish they bloody wouldn't!

bob.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Then the next argument is enforcement. They don't need to enforce at all, they only need to catch you on a random check and now it's a crime too.

We reported out last Taiwanese landlord for tax evasion (as was suggested here if they refuse to return the deposit).

Thai tax revenue did not care. 

Don't forget, all these foreign landlords have bank accounts with monthly income being deposited from Thai and foreign tenants. It would be extremely easy for Thai revenue to start with them just by checking title deeds.  as a matter of fact, if they are trying to enforce the existing laws they should start from foreign condo ownership. Nothing. Nada. 

However, I do not agree or disagree with you. I am just stating facts as I see them at this moment. Life can throw anything at you, so I always try to have plan B.

Edited by Celsius

1 minute ago, Celsius said:

so I always try to have plan B.

great advice.

a plan B is a must for anyone living here in Non-Immigrant status.

bob.

90 day reports.

Easily done online - but I get your point.

They are an unnecessary legacy of antiquated regulations.

arduos visa extensions.

Agreed to some extent - but aren't visa applications / permissions etc arduous for any country ?

If my wife want to live long term in the UK - obtaining ILR is a quite a process, but once complete - staying is easier.

immigration home checks.

Somewhat invasive and again, a legacy of antiquated regulations - that said, I understand officials who 'suspect' that guys may 'only' be married for Visa purposes - thats more of an insult to Thai women, when their own (Thai male officials) recognise this potential loop hole - We don't get Western Women marrying foreign men for financial security in a sham marriage that gives the guy opportunities to live in that country.

Immigration don't do home visits in Bangkok - I'm not sure why.

fear mongering on the evening news about so called 'bad foreigners',

Not really. No fear mongering at all - thats just your bias bob...  The news circulates whatever it beleives is newsworthy, whether thats a foreigner behaving badly or a Mercedes driver killing a granny on a pedestrian crossing.... Thailand loves the 'drama and drumming up outrage' but it passes very quickly.

Thats not a rumour bob, thats just law firm drumming up business....  "Oh no, inspections, better go to Integrity Legal and ensure your visa is all correct"....  

The line between Thailand & China is becoming increasingly blurred as each day passes..

That is a very very thick line....  the differences are far greater than the similarities with regards to bureaucratic process for foreigners. 

90 day reports,

arduos visa extensions,

immigration home checks,

(removed)

fear mongering on the evening news about so called 'bad foreigners',

don't believe me?

take a look for yourself!

The line between Thailand & China is becoming increasingly blurred as each day passes..

bob.

Nothing but foreigner scum trying to profit.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Easily done online

Not anymore for some of us since the "upgrade" - rejected for BS stated reasons,and it was down for months another time

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Celsius said:

We reported out last Taiwanese landlord for tax evasion (as was suggested here if they refuse to return the deposit).

Thai tax revenue did not care. 

This is completely irrelevant and something entirely else. You also don't even know what they did with it or are still going to maybe do with it, reporting people like that, same as for immigration, can take long times before it comes to the right desk, unless motivated with money.

The point is that it is a crime to not file your taxes, that means still paying your taxes, a big fine, a possible jail sentence + blacklist forever.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Indeed they do.

Though I wish they bloody wouldn't!

bob.

I live in a city , that is not that affect so much by Russian tourist - I know they can cause some problems, but then so can the Larger Louts from the UK etc.

What I find amazing is some the comments about them being here because they wont fight in the war---- Good , they should get a pat on the back for refusing to fight in an Unjust war.

In the 60s in London we had a heap of young Americans--not wanting to fight in what they said was an unjust war--Vietnam-- but we didn't have as many as Sweden Canada, France etc.

So many fled that country--ones who didn't were either jailed or had other punishments dealt out to them,

Some of us use this forum to vent, but we do have some good things to say about Thailand and the Thai people, from time to time. In your case that just does not seem to happen.

Might I suggest a couple of brands of laxative? They're very effective and they can make a world of difference with your attitude. Life here is good. Take a look around. It beats living back home by a huge margin. 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Immigration don't do home visits in Bangkok - I'm not sure why.

Apparently they do when you apply for a Non O in country e.g. for a retirement extension and in EVERY case apparently. Not sure they do visits for marriage extensions though.

Bob I think you are like Brooks in the movie The Shawshank Redemption. You can't handle life outside of your self imposed prison.

I hope you can find something that will bring a little bit of joy into your life. Look for the good things in Thailand rather than focus on the bad.

18 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

This is completely irrelevant and something entirely else.

18 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

The point is that it is a crime to not file your taxes, that means still paying your taxes, a big fine, a possible jail sentence + blacklist forever.

You say this then you say that.

So you agree tax avoidance is a crime.

What percententage of foreigners pay taxes on their condo rentals in Thailand?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Celsius said:

You say this then you say that.

So you agree tax avoidance is a crime.

What percententage of foreigners pay taxes on their condo rentals in Thailand?

That would not qualify as the same, people were not made tax residents here before. It is not relevant at all, but you dont get it. It would technically be a problem for those same people from the first filing next year, if they also lived here 180+ days. Not before with the old law.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Posted (edited)

What finely pushed me over was this years heat, and the unclear situation around taxation of abroad transfers. Smoke and pollution I could avoid by moving around the worst times, but the heat killed it this year. 

Visa and 90 days is nothing compare to schengen visit and family reunion fees and paperwork. But at least she can work and  earn money, from day one on family reunion. Have social security, and after 3 years (suggested to be 5 now) have permanent stay, and after 7 years total living together and married, can apply for citizenship. 

you have resided in Norway for the previous 3 years with your spouse or partner in order to apply for Norwegian citizenship; your marriage must have lasted at least 7 years, and so must your time spent in Norway; you must have had a residence permit for at least one year throughout the

Edited by Hummin
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

point is that it is a crime to not file your taxes, that means still paying your taxes, a big fine, a possible jail sentence + blacklist forever

2000bht fine as far as I know. Hardly the end of the world, even if they did catch you.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

2000bht fine as far as I know. Hardly the end of the world.

You are missing 2 zero's + blacklisting. Up to 200,000 baht fine. The 2000 baht fine is when you paid too late aside of 1.5% interest: that means you did file them too in that case, that is entirely different.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Yeah but if you have a girlfriend/wife and a kid that suddenly is not as easy, as of passport limitations on her side.

I do, and there are plenty of places we could go as a family, I have little intention of leaving SE Asia, though I see little that might make me leave Thailand.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Stocky said:

I do, and there are plenty of places we could go as a family, I have little intention of leaving SE Asia, though I see little that might make me leave Thailand.

Plenty of places as in africa, or a country with drug cartels or like kazachstan? Very few places in reality except if it is nearby here.

Edited by ChaiyaTH