Why is Thailand so terrible at sport?

11 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

The Philippines with nearly double the Thia population of Thailand----in its history at the Olympic games has --how many Gold   == 1

Could the answer be--- because India and Philippines hate Farangs more then ...Thailand.........:w00t:

Please do not quote with my name and insert content I have not posted! 

3 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

Thailand has the same number of Olympic medals as India yet India has a population of 1 Billion.

It was the above member who posted that.

18 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

With the Olympics coming up it got me thinking.. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Thailand win a medal.. I don’t think I’ve seen them do well in any world recognised sport, all they seem to have is Muay Thai but mma has moved past that and they don’t have any ufc fighters..

for all the hate farang get from Thai’s they seem to be a hell of a lot better at sport than thai’s

anyone have any clue as to why they stink at sport? I can see them

having a massive advantage eventually if they let trannies compete in women’s events I suppose. 

Thais didn't learn to walk. Everywhere going by motorbike. Even running is possible for HiSos only, as Shinawatras eg. 🙏

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, TimBKK said:

I seem to remember some medalists in powerlifting, and they were rightly celebrated at home.  Thais are more than competitive in badminton, and competitive by SE Asian standards in football - probably should have advanced to the next round of WC qualifiers, to be fair.  No offense OP, but your premise is flawed.

The OP is probably the kind of person that likes to find fault with everything.

Posted (edited)

With the Olympics coming up it got me thinking.. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Thailand win a medal.. I don’t think I’ve seen them do well in any world recognised sport, all they seem to have is Muay Thai but mma has moved past that and they don’t have any ufc fighters..

for all the hate farang get from Thai’s they seem to be a hell of a lot better at sport than thai’s

having a massive advantage eventually if they let trannies compete in women’s events I suppose. 

Thais have won world boxing and badminton championships over many years, and has produced several world class golfers. 

Edited by Thingamabob
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yeah, was a good gateway for Thai players to get involved in soccer but they failed even at that.. they just aren’t very good sportspeople it seems 

the lowly farang could teach them a thing or two about sport but they don’t want to hear it, they are more interested in farangs money 

I see we have a new boy troll trying to Thai bash........🤨

Or perhaps not a new boy........🤔

So what sport are you good at, Bar Hopping.......Probably.........:coffee1:

A post with unnecessary derogatory remarks about Thais. Nothing to do with HATE, nothing to do with STINK in sports and nothing to do with TRANNIES.

And not a smidgen of research that would have saved you the trouble of even writing this post.

19 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Thailand win a medal.

19 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I don’t think

Try thinking...you might learn something about Thailand in sports.

Not previously mentioned by others: Golf, volleyball

Posted (edited)

Male and female Thais do very well for themselves on the world golf circuits. Ariya Jutanagarn was ranked the world's #1 female golfer in 2017.

While there is some argument over who is the GOAT in golf, Tiger Woods is up there with Nicklaus and Hogan in any discussion.

Tiger Woods is half Thai.

Edited by Lacessit

Certainly Thai badminton is of a high standard. Nong May (Inthanon) was ladies' world number 1 . Vitidsarn is a high ranking man player. The ladies' doubles and top mixed doubles pairing are very good to really excellent standard. It's just that the Chinese and Japanese are usually better! The standard in badminton is extremely high.

Top Thai golfers (ladies and men) are good as are snooker players. 

I can remember Thailand having a world boxing champion, Pone Kingpetch.

But my Thai daughter is now nearly eleven. She goes to a good international school but plays little sport at school. Shame on the school! There is a nice quite large sports field but it's mainly only the boys who seem to use it (for football, of course)

I think they play sports at a generally high standard, but struggle to meet the international standard. I guess investment, or lack of, is one of the problems. It's also very hot here. Would you fancy going for a run every day in this heat while being forced to spend hours upon hours in the classroom? Their families may also not see sport as a career and force their children to study subjects they don't want to. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, alien365 said:

I think they play sports at a generally high standard, but struggle to meet the international standard. I guess investment, or lack of, is one of the problems. It's also very hot here. Would you fancy going for a run every day in this heat while being forced to spend hours upon hours in the classroom? Their families may also not see sport as a career and force their children to study subjects they don't want to. 

Thai are "lazy" because they can allow themselves to be. They had easier life than most because of simple living standards, due to their climate, and no need to risk their lives to get food, and also store and maintain food resources. 

They have been wealthy compared to other countries and societies who literally had to fight for their existence.

Thai more sabai sabai

Edited by Hummin

I'm a cyclist here so I get to see that side of the population I would say these are simply warm climate people and their strategy has been to go slow and keep cool. In general I see Thai cyclists going very slow and just enjoying the scenery rather than getting a vigorous workout. The younger generation seems to be picked up steam and getting more involved in sports and putting out strong cyclists now.

Even so they'll never be able to compete with Europeans for genetic reasons. Just like how a certain region of Africa dominates the ranks of runners globally. Just how it is, doesn't matter though sports are more about having fun and feeling good than global competition anyways.

• Like 1

Yeah but that’s cycling. If you really want to dissect this just take sports China has excelled at like diving or idk maybe swimming. Thais just suck. It’s obviously possible. But they are not good at it, and the one who are good don’t get to develop due to lack of infrastructure unfortunately. Most people can have access to swimming pools for example though so there is no excuse. 

• Agree 1

On 7/5/2024 at 8:46 PM, Smokin Joe said:

As of 2021, Thai athletes have won a total of 35 medals in the Olympics.

Which is the same number won as India, with 1.3 billion potential standout athletes vs. Thailand's 73 million.

8 hours ago, Gilligan In Drag said:

So what anyway? What does achievement in sport or any field get you? Unwanted attention. Psychological problems that annoy others like arrogance and pride. Jealous family and community?

If you like sport then play it, why does anyone need a medal. Theres plenty of people in Thailand to play with too.

The guys in my village play a hell of a lot more semi-organized football than 90% of people from my developed\

Olympic medal raking western home country. They have two teams in my village and they play against many other teams from surrounding villages.

The rest of the country doesn't care and these guys don't care that bigshots in Bangkok don't care, they ad hoc organize their own tournaments and lots of people turn out to cheer. My driver is way into it all. Sometimes he says I can't take you shopping we've got a big game today at 3 pm. He doesn't need medals and fame and money to want to play his ass off.

Being happy is a natural tribute of our mind, we just need a bit of mind training in meditation and then every circumstance is fine,

you don't have to win medals at the Olympics or be number 1 that's a sad and preposterous waste of a human life

that misses the point.

And another troll. Forums full of em.

It may be a question of what comes first - the chicken or the egg. There is certainly an enormous lack of investment in sports by government in Thailand, but is this because government thinks that Thais in general would not make use of greater investment. This might be because they are perceived as lazy or uninterested because of heat and humidity - which may apply generally throughout south and southeast Asia - or that they lack the physique necessary for success in many sports.

48 minutes ago, oldestswinger said:

It may be a question of what comes first - the chicken or the egg. There is certainly an enormous lack of investment in sports by government in Thailand, but is this because government thinks that Thais in general would not make use of greater investment. This might be because they are perceived as lazy or uninterested because of heat and humidity - which may apply generally throughout south and southeast Asia - or that they lack the physique necessary for success in many sports.

Thailand just lack the bottle and courage 

15 hours ago, siftasam said:

Certainly Thai badminton is of a high standard. Nong May (Inthanon) was ladies' world number 1 . Vitidsarn is a high ranking man player. The ladies' doubles and top mixed doubles pairing are very good to really excellent standard. It's just that the Chinese and Japanese are usually better! The standard in badminton is extremely high.

Top Thai golfers (ladies and men) are good as are snooker players. 

I can remember Thailand having a world boxing champion, Pone Kingpetch.

But my Thai daughter is now nearly eleven. She goes to a good international school but plays little sport at school. Shame on the school! There is a nice quite large sports field but it's mainly only the boys who seem to use it (for football, of course)

Why did you mention snooker in a sports topic? Snooker, like Pool and Billiards are not sports, they are just pub games trying to put balls in a hole with a piece of stick. Just like darts it is a pub game full of overweight boozers.

• Haha 1

even amongst thais, the discussion is that while Thais individually might be gifted enough to compete at the top levels in their sport, see tennis, golf, snooker it comes apart at team sports where they just don't have the discipline or the teamwork,

Even football where there might be a few Thai players in european and japanese leagues, together in a national team they fall apart 

The top teams in Thai league alone has to supplement their rank with foreign players 

On 7/5/2024 at 8:39 PM, Yellow Fever said:

A genuine question spoilt by a dig at the end

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

Why did you mention snooker in a sports topic? Snooker, like Pool and Billiards are not sports, they are just pub games trying to put balls in a hole with a piece of stick. Just like darts it is a pub game full of overweight boozers.

Chess is a sport 🤔

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

Chess is a sport 🤔

I never mentioned Chess, but No! It is not a sport, there is no physical activity involved.

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

image.png.a7bb66ddbf512eb728655b55555a11e7.png

I don't care what anyone says, these same deluded people probably think darts is a sport too. I have seen photo's of darts champions and the vast majority look overweight.

Can you post a photo of a Chess champion?