Ford Ranger vs Toyota Revo

This topic or similar has probably be posted before, apologies if it has, but...

Considering buying either a new pickup 4x2 Double cab automatic, either a Ford Ranger XLS or its equivalent Toyota Revo Prerunner (something like the 2.4 Mid). Which would you recommend and why?

The Toyota will definitely give you better resale value - if that is a concern.

The Toyota drives and feels like a truck - because it is.

The Ford is a more comfortable and civilised vehicle - much easier to live with.

I have driven both.

Spoiler alert… I am currently driving my fourth Ranger variant..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, transam said:

just look at the brands the delivery companies use, Kerry, LEX etc, either a Toyota or Isuzu, never seen a Ford used by any.

The reason for that is price and corporate discounts

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, G Rex said:

The Ford is a more comfortable and civilised vehicle - much easier to live with.

I have driven both.

Buy once and you won't need to be on your forth

Posted (edited)

I would love to buy a new Ford Raptor but everything you read about regarding reliability puts me off.

The fuel consumption is not the problem.
Toyotas will last forever if i did buy a Raptor i think i would have to keep my trusty Hilux 
Probably easier to wait for a V6 Toyota to come along 

Edited by kwak250

I went through the same debate last year. I'd love to buy a Ranger, it looks great, But it's a Ford and it's not as reliable as Toyota. I just sold my 10 year old Vigo, it had 160k on the clock and never once took a sick day or demanded a replacement part, not once. Plus I got 50% of my money back in trade in on a new Revo......which is going to be just as reliable, I know this. If there's one thing I want from my wheels it's knowing that they will start every time, not stop unless told to do so and not take sick days, Toyota does that for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, 300sd said:

There's a Toyota dealership almost anywhere you travel in Thailand. Of course you never need them! 11 yrs old with 235000km.

So basically you still have a new truck.

12-year-old Hilux, 400,000 km.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, steve187 said:

out of the 2 i would chose a mitsu triton

Better economy both priced for same standard and service. Reliability same as Toyota.

Ford have less reputation for reliability 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, G Rex said:

I have driven both.

I am still driving my 2001 Ford Ranger  double cab 2.5 4wd turbo with 470,xxx km on the clock. It rattles along with the same old noises and rattles that it has had for years.

1 hour ago, kwak250 said:

Buy once and you won't need to be on your forth

When I do more than 100,000 k per year , I need to change my vehicles - for reliability & 'modernisation' - and because I can.

BTW.  'fourth' not 'forth'.

Also I am not - and never have been - a Toyota fanboy.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, G Rex said:

When I do more than 100,000 k per year , I need to change my vehicles - for reliability & 'modernisation' - and because I can.

BTW.  'fourth' not 'forth'.

Also I am not - and never have been - a Toyota fanboy.

Ah yes Fourth you did at least get that bit right.

As you say reliability is a concern hence frequent changing of the brand of your choice maybe?

Is there such thing as a Toyota fanboy?

Don't get me wrong i would love to buy a Ford Raptor and if i was not in the middle of a house build i probably would have bought one but i would always be having that little worry that everyone has seen with the reliability issues.

I will be buying one in a year or so but if a Toyota arrives with a decent engine then that will be the one i get.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, NJHOUSE said:

Have a 7 year old Ford Ranger here. I bought it new. So, speaking from experience, I would not buy another Ford.

If you kept it for 7 years its doing well

43 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am still driving my 2001 Ford Ranger  double cab 2.5 4wd turbo with 470,xxx km on the clock. It rattles along with the same old noises and rattles that it has had for years.

Yes i think the older ones are bullet proof i do like those

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Don't get me wrong i would love to buy a Ford Raptor and if i was not in the middle of a house build i probably would have bought one but i would always be having that little worry that everyone has seen with the reliability issues.

I had a Raptor - but changed it for another Wildtrak.  The added comfort , and the fact that I don't do a lot of Baja racing were the main reasons.

If I want to drive fast - I prefer to drive a fast car or motorbike - rather than a light truck.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, G Rex said:

I had a Raptor - but changed it for another Wildtrak.  The added comfort , and the fact that I don't do a lot of Baja racing were the main reasons.

If I want to drive fast - I prefer to drive a fast car or motorbike - rather than a light truck.

The new raptor? or the old slow one?

Good points though about baja racing but still would be fun .
I used to race motorbikes but don't want to go fast here

Not the way people drive here and look at you and still pull out in front of you i don't trust them.

Quick car would be good but crazy prices

Thanks for all the comments/advice.

Had a Fortuner for many years and earlier had a Ford pickup, both were decent. 

This is proving a tough decision to make. Been to the showrooms but not test driven yet. The Ford looks a nicer car, the Toyota will probably be easier to sell later.

53 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

The new raptor? or the old slow one?

Yep.   The old slow one!   Same donk as the wildtrak. 

I get my speed thrills from my big bikes now , and memories of my Shelby Super snake I had in Oz before I moved here.