Everybody is born and dies the same way

People hoard money because life on this planet is hell for most people. Money (or material things that you can exchange for goods) make things more comfortable.

Coach or business? If I had money I would fly first.

Thai mattress? No thanks.

Thai food? Disgusting. 

Thank you for reading.

Edited by Celsius
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Celsius said:

People hoard money because life on this planet is hell for most people. Money (or material things that you can exchange for goods) make thinks more comfortable.

Coach or business? If I had money I would fly first.

Thai mattress? No thanks.

Thai food? Disgusting. 

Thank you for reading.

What about Thai people?

1 minute ago, 2baht said:

Oh! Conditions exist???

Of course. You got health, money you got life. A chair won't buy you a plane ticket or a massage. 7/11 doesn't accept leather shoes as payment for beer.

Just now, susanlea said:

Of course. You got health, money you got life. A chair won't buy you a plane ticket or a massage. 7/11 doesn't accept leather shoes as payment for beer.

So what? What will buy you a chair or an airline ticket, leather shoes? Money Susi, generally accumulated from working. Accepted by 7/11!

3 minutes ago, 2baht said:

So what? What will buy you a chair or an airline ticket, leather shoes? Money Susi, generally accumulated from working. Accepted by 7/11!

Deep

14 hours ago, susanlea said:

I notice how 90% of responses are people attacking the op. Happens on every topic. Lots of really uptight defensive people. Very strange.

You've only been on the forum since April @susanlea. After 10 years you'll consider it 'normal'. And in my case, I've been an expat for much of my adult life so I'm quite used to being in the company of malcontents. It seems to come with the plane ticket! 

It's one of the main reasons why I'm quite happy now living in a small village with few possessions and well away from the 'maddening crowd'.

I recall my ex brother-in-law. When he married, they bought a nice house which was plenty big enough for them and their 2 planned offspring. And then they filled it with junk, including the garage whilst their  expensive BMW was parked on the drive. (and vulnerable of course)

They then decided that it wasn't big enough and so they extended the house and inevitably continued to fill it with junk. They then decided to buy a bigger house to accommodate them (and their junk) Now their 2 girls have grown up, found hubbies and moved out, so now they are rattling around in this huge house full of junk.

Why didn't they simply get rid of the junk in the first place?

Clinging to stuff achieves nothing in my opinion.

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally, I think the part between being born and dying is the interesting part.

How should I take anything with me when I die? I am dead. It doesn't hurt and I won't miss anything because I am dead.

You cold do like me and ask your wife to write a check to put in your coffin…😄

1 minute ago, Kwaibill said:

You cold do like me and ask your wife to write a check to put in your coffin…😄

And then god will pick it up and think let's party? Or what is the idea about such check? 

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Clinging to stuff achieves nothing in my opinion.

Clinging onto stuff that you'll never use again...  perhaps. 

Clinging onto stuff that offers no cosmetic improvement or personal value to your life... perhaos.

We could go as far as, whats the point in decorating our house?, we can't take that with us... Whats the point in ornaments ?...   they serve no practical value. 

This binary concept that inanimate objects are 'junk'...   is flawed.. 

Our belongings fall on a spectrum of individual value from the utterly useless and pointless, through to the highly valued and useful items... 

... some folk have no need for a car - and thus argue a car is not needed, while others find a car essential...  

The same can be said of a nice house full of items someone else may consider junk...   but they find enjoyable to have around.

Just because something is not 'needed' does not mean it is not benifitial to have around as we may need it at some point, or may find solace in keeping it...   

Watches are a perfect example - completely unnecessary in todays world...

I had a lovely watch, purchased at a key moment in my life - later on I figured I didn't need it and sold it for a profit. 

I regret selling it on and would have taken a degree of happiness in passing that watch to my Son.

Thus: I'll now look at getting another watch, something my Son can have when I pass, something that he will take sentimental value from.

This perhaps leads me on to the main point - some people find no sentimental value in belongings, they call it junk. 

But, life is to be enjoyed, and if a person takes value from items, then it has contributed to their enjoyment.

Thats not to say that without such items their life is not enjoyable, this would be a binary fallacy, but life can be complimented by many things we have and do.

3 hours ago, susanlea said:

Yes it does...   everywhere does... You have simply not understood that money creates a 'double coincidence of want'...

... You can sell your chair for money...  you can sell your leather shoes for money...   you can purchase items with that money.

... then there is the other facet to the point you argue...  you can't get to 7-11 in the first place without those shoes.

Edited by richard_smith237

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes it does...   everywhere does... You have simply not understood that money creates a 'double coincidence of want'...

... You can sell your chair for money...  you can sell your leather shoes for money...   you can purchase items with that money.

... then there is the other facet to the point you argue...  you can't get to 7-11 in the first place without those shoes.

You can buy good health for money, and happiness 

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Flip flops :cheesy:

14 hours ago, Hummin said:

Cant have more happy endings, Im happy with the happy endings I get from my wife in her prime 😂

I prefer the ones from randoms I rent on a per house basis.

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I do not wear leather shoes and to date have never been refused entry.

17 hours ago, susanlea said:

Born naked with nothing. When you die you don't get to take stuff with you. So why do people accumulate so much junk? 99% of everything you own is junk.

Well, I know one in Thailand he got assets of at least 55 billion USD. And a castle in Germany. Guess, who is it?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well, if the 'Op' makes a dumbed-down over simplified and generalised assumption and turns their own comprehension into a statement projected towards everyone else, then what would you expect ???... 

You're very thin skinned for someone who makes so many daft comments.

Your Op makes no differentiation between animals and those of us with consciousness - while you are correct, we can't take anything with us, that does not mean our possessions are junk... they are a facet of life we experience, enjoy, and some of these items can be passed down to our loved ones.

I'm wondering what possessions you would consider junk... 

From cars, motorcycles, coffee machines, TV's etc - all have their uses towards enjoyment of life.

Clothing, of various types also bring comfort and enjoyment, especially those who may enjoy being more stylish than the average bum

There are also items of great sentimental value, we can take them with us, but the though that they remain with loved ones is of value to some (many of us).

Thus: the idea presented that 'objects are junk' is fundamentally flawed... 

Such comments are not to far away from such comments as "whats the point of living if we are going to die?"...  Or..

"why bother getting educated, we die and thats it, so we can't take our education with us"...

Given the Ops content - I suspect he has bought into this latter concept....

You will wake up one day. Probably take you 10 years to realise though.

6 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I prefer the ones from randoms I rent on a per house basis.

Never done short time, not even for a random chick I met, 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, susanlea said:

99% of everything you own is junk.

99% of what you own may be junk. Zero of what I own is junk. I don't buy, nor accumulate, junk. Only high quality necessities and conveniences. 

You may think chairs, tables, beds, fridges, cookers/stoves, cupboards etc are junk, but I find them useful, as may those who get to use them after my death.