13 year old Thai boy dies after ketamine injection by his friends

webfact

COVER-PIC-25.webp

The family of a 13 year old Thai boy suspected his friends of killing him with a poisonous kratom drink. The teenager’s friends later confessed to giving the victim an injection of ketamine, which led to his death.

The teenager, Akkarawat “Tigger” Phonlasen, was found lying lifeless on the sofa in his home in Bangkok on the morning of July 7. He had foam around his mouth and his body was covered with vomit stains. His family performed CPR and called medical workers to the scene but Tigger could not be saved.

Tigger’s aunt, Palita, told KomChadLuek that Tigger left home on the evening of July 6, saying he was going to a barbecue restaurant with friends and arrived home at about 9pm. He then lay on the sofa and fell asleep.

Palita said she heard Tigger snoring louder than usual, so she went to check on him. She thought Tigger was exhausted and sleepy, so she gave him a blanket before going to sleep, only to wake up to see his lifeless body.

With foam around his mouth, the family suspected that Tigger must have consumed something poisonous, which led to his death. They checked his mobile phone and conversations with his friends, discovering that Tigger attended a kratom party, not a barbecue.

Ketamine overdose

In a conversation with an older male friend, Tigger asked the friend to bring him a kratom drink. This made the family suspect that this friend and the kratom drink might be involved in Tigger’s death.

Aside from the conversation about kratom, the friend also sent Tigger a picture of a gun. The gun was placed on a table, together with a syringe that was supposedly for drug use, making the family suspect a conflict between Tigger and his friends.

The family decided to seek help from non-profit organisation Saimai Survive to follow up on the case. The family wanted the police to conduct an autopsy on Tigger’s body to see if there were any toxic substances in his system.

The family then contacted Tigger’s friends to ask about the situation at the party. The friends initially revealed that they gave Tigger the kratom drink but then eventually confessed that they also injected him with ketamine.

Tigger’s family filed a complaint against the friends, accusing them of intentional murder. The police planned to summon all the friends for questioning. If the police find that Tigger was willing to take the drug, the friends may face a lesser charge.

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via KomChadLuek

Source: The Thaiger 2024-07-12

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

How do we know that this was not ketamine adulterated with Fentanyl?

Ketamine is easily purchased in Thailand but I have not seen much Fentanyl around.

It is definately as it is used widely in hopsital... but not common on the streets.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

What a fakd up world we live in. 13yrs young and playing with death at such an early age. 

You would be surprised at how many around that age are playing with substances.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

You would be surprised at how many around that age are playing with substances.

Agreed.

Was doing weed and glue at 13 also dabbling in some chroming.

Educate your  children from a young age to try and prevent a tragedy like this.

Easy to say I accept, but the children need to make a decision by themselves rather than follow there so called friend's like a sheep.

32 minutes ago, itsari said:

Educate your  children from a young age to try and prevent a tragedy like this.

Easy to say I accept, but the children need to make a decision by themselves rather than follow there so called friend's like a sheep.

Agreed.. I think every parent has concerns about the influence others may have on our children...  At the same time we can't be overbearing as this may push them away...

... I try to provide my son with the confidence to think independently so that he can walkaway if or when exposed to such things - but also he has to be fearful to a degree... my son should know that if ever if he accepts being involved in such activities or with those involves in such activities that the $£it would hit the fan so significantly, it would be life changing.... 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed.. I think every parent has concerns about the influence others may have on our children...  At the same time we can't be overbearing as this may push them away...

... I try to provide my son with the confidence to think independently so that he can walkaway if or when exposed to such things - but also he has to be fearful to a degree... my son should know that if ever if he accepts being involved in such activities or with those involves in such activities that the $£it would hit the fan so significantly, it would be life changing.... 

Keep your good work up as it will pay dividends for you and your child .

Explain the consequences of what can happen with life choices.

Thank you for your reply 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

If the police find that Tigger was willing to take the drug, the friends may face a lesser charge.

...Please tell me what I'm reading here is a bad joke!

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Pique Dard said:

...Please tell me what I'm reading here is a bad joke!

It could be good if he had any brothers or sisters who could take a note of the incident.

Based on published seizures by the police, ketamine use is definitely on the upswing.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/man-caught-smuggling-100kg-of-ketamine-worth-100-million-baht

It is popular amongst the youth in party scenes, often in a concoction called Happy Water (which includes Kratom)

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/tourists-warned-against-taking-happy-water-drug-in-thailand

Ya Ice (Crystal meth) is coming down in price too.

At some point, Opioids will start falling off the trucks and causing all sorts of problems.

On 7/13/2024 at 9:58 AM, bamnutsak said:

Ya Ice (Crystal meth) is coming down in price too.

Which is great, much better than Yaba.

On 7/12/2024 at 6:58 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I try to provide my son with the confidence to think independently so that he can walkaway if or when exposed to such things - but also he has to be fearful to a degree...

Random piss tests would be a big “get out” of peer group pressure for him.

He could say “ I can’t take this because my dad WILL find out”.

Without that hanging over his head he will think he can get away with it, and probably will. Kids are sly when it comes to covering up their drug use.