Outstanding questions remain about new visa rules for Thailand

3 hours ago, george said:

Don Mueang arrival this morning: 

30 days

(Thanks Tod Daniels for sharing!)

449969257_480133578108163_1102788962961176187_n.jpg

You thank Tod Daniels for info re crossing a land border and arriving at an airport. 

Is this correct?

5 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Start with the...

multiple entry, five-year DTV or Destination Thailand Visa

180 Days

After 180 days.

Do a border run get 60 days  then get a extension  30  days  then another border run 60 days plus another extension for 30 day

Then back to the five-year DTV or Destination  Visa for another 180 days

Keep doing this for 5 years...

Then get a new  five-year DTV or Destination  Visa ......Lol

Rubbish, you would not be able to enter exempt whilst you have a current DTV. In place. They insist on you using your valid visa when current 180 days that's your lot. 

3 hours ago, george said:

Arrival stamps at a land border this morning. 30 days.

(Thanks Tod Daniels for sharing this with us!)

449035464_498613765951579_3592553016248092136_n.jpg

Pony Express, hasn't reached the Land borders yet, besides no one up there can read.😂🤣

1 hour ago, transam said:

This all sounds quite normal for this country, you know, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing...........:coffee1:

There are even countries where certain people do not have either left or right hands, and in some cases neither hands. On the other hand, pun intended, the one legged man was seen running down the road to escape the mayhem.

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Thailand shows again they have no clue what tourists are... Most tourist come to visit the country for 2 /3 weeks, and than return home as they have to work or have  other things. They will not need a 60 days visa.. Who will benefit from it?? in fact nobody as the ones who are looking for a longer stay could obtain a 90 days visa already at the Embassy. Now this is not needed anymore it will cost the Government  money. And the question remains why are people want to have a 60 day visa?? Nobody gets a clue, nobody has control anymore But as usual the Government makes decisions without proper investigations

Agree with part of what you states, but retired people arriving as tourists would often like to spend more than 30 days in Thailand during the cold northern Europe winter and from other destinations, so 60 days with a possible 30-days extension of stay makes really good sense.

However, the total number of days staying that one can stay in Thailand within a calendar year, without a proper long stay-visa, year should be limited.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Thailand shows again they have no clue what tourists are... Most tourist come to visit the country for 2 /3 weeks, and than return home as they have to work or have  other things. They will not need a 60 days visa.. Who will benefit from it?? in fact nobody as the ones who are looking for a longer stay could obtain a 90 days visa already at the Embassy. Now this is not needed anymore it will cost the Government  money. And the question remains why are people want to have a 60 day visa?? Nobody gets a clue, nobody has control anymore But as usual the Government makes decisions without proper investigations

For normal tourists you may be right. But many tourists also make a tour through Asia, using Thailand as starting point and finish, they will be happy with 60 days. Also I know people who have relationships with persons from outside Thailand; if these people want to stay together for a longer period of time, then the visitors are forced to make visa runs every 30 days. In these cases a stay of 60 days would be a huge improvement, saving time, paperwork and money.

• Agree 2

Is it obligatory for every government scheme to get cocked up at the implementation phase.  You are successful in business when implementation becomes the strategy (think about it). Thais seem great at brainstorming ideas but are lost when it comes to turning those ideas into a good business or official improvement for their transactions. 

Cocking everything up is not a good strategy. 

• Agree 1

30 days aat BKK AIRPORT 13H TODAY  ofhhh f.*****************++ i go 20 august to europe, thanks last week again canbodia sick here

*** in the last 12 month was herenearly 4 month ..below 6 month all on Bkk airprt stamps

Edited by lapamita
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, retarius said:

Thais seem great at brainstorming ideas

I often think that many people involved in the initial process can foresee problems, but because of the 'loss of face' issue they are afraid to point out flaws in a superiors ideas 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, sikishrory said:

I doubt some immigration staff will be happy with this. Less bureaucracy means less extensions, less processing, less visa runs, less cash for their pockets.

I think the Immigration offices will be very happy to get rid of the 30 day extensions clogging up their offices all day long.,

lots of people are snowbirds, as myself, who come for a few months through the EU winter. The new rules suit me fine , if they ever come  into force.

6 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Me i want 60 days along with a lot of people i know. And it’s 60 day visa from the thai embassy in UK that’s why we have go to immigration for another 30 days. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I haven't lived in Thailand for the past four years but I keep a close watch on what's going on, and nothing ever changes. The Thais can democratically vote for who they want to be the government who are then not permitted to take control. The Ministry of Whacky Brainwaves keeps coming up with ideas (such as marihuana legalizing) and then backtracks soon after they come into effect, and  whatever the government does is always an ill-conceived dog's breakfast. I am living in Cambodia which is a breath of fresh air after Thailand - here you just pay your annual retirement fee (without any conditions) and renew it in  12 months time, with no need to contact government agencies in the meantime. Maybe the Thais should send a study group over to Phnom Penh.

• Haha 1

OK....and this government wants to introduce the new tax system for foreigners. It was actually long overdue.....the new system has been in force since January 1, 2024 and nobody knows anything for sure.....Hold my Beer:coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1

New Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme (60 Days) Effective Date 15 July 2024

Nationals of the following 93 countries and territories are entitled to visa exemption for the purpose of tourism business engagements or urgent work or ad-hoc work, for up to 60 days period of stay and can be extended for another period not exceeding 30 days. Extension of stay is solely at the discretion of the immigration officer. Before the maximum stay of 90 days are eligible to apply for a new type of visa in Thailand.

https://washingtondc.thaiembassy.org/en/page/visaexempt-voajul2024

Edited by radiochaser

A friend of mine just sent me a message that at about 6pm local time he received a visa for 60 days (viz until Sept 12). So it seems that the new regulation has finally become known at the immigration counters in Suvanaphum.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Most tourists maybe, but a sizable minority do want to stay longer, and some of them can't be bother with visa applications or extensions. I am one of them, several times over the post covid period, I stayed only 30 days ,would have stayed longer,  but decided to spend more time ,and money, in Cambodia and Vietnam. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, LudwigK said:

Must be Published in the Royal Gazette!!!!

Indeed, prior news reports on all this, including the change to 60-day visa exempt stamps, made it clear that the new policies could NOT take effect until...

A. they were officially signed off by the Prime Minister, and

B. then after that they were published in the Royal Gazette

Typically, AFAIK, once the PM approves something, there's also an intermediate step where I believe what's called the Council of State reviews such measures for their legality prior to RG publication.

It seems more than a bit strange that the above news report only talks about action by the Interior Minister and makes absolutely no mention about actions by the PM or Royal Gazette publication.

I'm not going to believe the 60-day visa exempt change has or can come into effect until AFTER I read a news report here announcing that all these changes have been published in the RG.  And AFAIK, that hasn't happened yet.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Indeed, prior news reports on all this, including the change to 60-day visa exempt stamps, made it clear that the new policies could NOT take effect until...

A. they were officially signed off by the Prime Minister, and

B. then after that they were published in the Royal Gazette

Typically, AFAIK, once the PM approves something, there's also an intermediate step where I believe what's called the Council of State reviews such measures for their legality prior to RG publication.

It seems more than a bit strange that the above news report only talks about action by the Interior Minister and makes absolutely no mention about actions by the PM or Royal Gazette publication.

I'm not going to believe the 60-day visa exempt change has or can come into effect until AFTER I read a news report here announcing that all these changes have been published in the RG.  And AFAIK, that hasn't happened yet.

Just checked Royal Gazette - lots of entries dated today, even covering the management of waste and welfare of dogs, but nothing about any tourist entry rules...

24 minutes ago, chrisbangkok said:

Arrived today Suvarnabhumi ( Monday 15 July) stamped in until Sept 14 .

That's 62 days. 

People who were stamped in 60 days got until Sep 12

Reports of several people getting stamped in for 60 days this afternoon and evening.

So finally it's in effect, at Suvarnabhumi at least.

The question was asked to the immigration officer if the 60 days could be extended with another 30 days. The answer was YES.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1