60-day visa exemptions are now unlimited at land borders

7 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS: (I edited this to better show the entry / stay (overstay) history 😛 )

We interrupt this broadcast to bring you a breaking News bulletin..

The new 60 day entry stamp program that started 3 days ago is not limited to two entries by land in a calendar year, it is unlimited entry by land.

Just had somebody that did two free stamp land entries this year bounce out and back and get a new 60-day entry with no questions at al.   The officer said unlimited.

Here are the  two 30 day land entry stamps and the new 60 day stamp they just got this morning.. as you can see they even had a 3-day overstay this morning when they left.

Remember you heard it first from Tod Daniels.

EDIT:

Okay here's the stamp "trail" and it's a screwy one with an overstay at every step of the process 😮
The person entered their FIRST ENTRY BY LAND on March 16th was stamped in 30 days until April 14th.
They went to the immigration office on the 17th of April paid a 3 day overstay (no stamp image) and got a 30 day extension good until 14 of May
They went to the border on May 17th paid a 3 day overstay (no stamp image) and got a 30 day stamp until Jun 15th (note the stamp has 2/67 meaning second land entry this year)
They went to the immigration office on the 18th of June paid a 3 day overstay AND got a 30 day extension good until 15th of July
They went to the border July 18 paid a 3 day overstay AND got a NEW THIRD LAND ENTRY STAMP for 60 days

1st entry -overstay- extension.jpg

2nd entry -overstay- extension.jpg

3 entry by land w overstay.jpg

If you think about it. this makes sense now. they want you to stay 180 days total so they can make you pay taxes. All these with so many reentries will most likely be caught when the time comes. I pity those who are not prepared. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Letseng said:

In theory after 2x 60 day stamps within 180 days the person becomes liable for tax on his wwide income? Or not?

In theory I guess the answer is yes , but this is Thailand  and you think too much 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

yea, if u leave 800,000 in the bank, but not if u use an agent

BUT as everything, i bet they dont allow UNLIMITED 3 month stays in Thailand

still its great for expats in Cambodia and Laos wanting to cross monthly for shoping

Even if using an agent in Pattaya 12,500 baht a year probably still cheaper than extensions and border runs

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Even if using an agent in Pattaya 12,500 baht a year probably still cheaper than extensions and border runs

With all the shake ups, it wouldn't surprise me if that came to an end, after all, is just a money earner for a few..........:ninja:

I really still do not believe that tourist visas no longer be needed. I do not believe that Thailand will allow people to stay "for ever" in Thailand, only crossing a border now and then! I will follow this topic for a while before I believe it.

6 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

If it's really true that now is possible to do unlimited border run then there is no need that I go to Vientiane to apply for another tourist visa 

That is why I do not believe a word of this until confirmed from other official sources. If thus is true no embassy anywhere will be issuing tourist visas any more. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CM Dad said:

How long will this last before it is curtailed or changed in some way?  I will stick to my yearly Non-O stamps.  I do wish that the government would focus more on those of us who have Thai families and have lived here for many years making substantial and continuing financial contributions to the country instead of temporary "tourists" who have no lasting commitment to Thailand and spend far less money.

I agree with you , the thai immigration have no intention to make you feel welcome or secure .

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JesseHumphry said:

I really wouldn't hang a hat on this. All it'll take is one high-profile crime linked, however tangentially, to the abuse of these exemptions, and that'll be the end of it. 

rubbish

43 minutes ago, Bvor said:

I wonder where i can see a media announcement from these officials confirming "new" policy/practise re this topic. 

Looked, haven’t seen anything regarding this on mfa or gazette 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bvor said:

I wonder where i can see a media announcement from these officials confirming "new" policy/practise re this topic. 

Whilst there will be an official announcement regarding any change in the law, there will never be any official notification as to how the new laws will be interpreted by the individual officers or how it will be applied in practice,  that side of things is generally "at their discretion" it will probably be a while before the officers themselves have worked out how they can best abuse the law in their own interests  

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, itsari said:

I agree with you , the thai immigration have no intention to make you feel welcome or secure

I doubt its part of their job description

2 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

never been an issue one way

In the past had multiple one-way in the past from the west coast US on exempt, never once was asked for an onward or return, but that was coming from the US. Different airlines from different countries, different policies.

Just now, Polaky said:

I won't renew my non -o then, no more re-entry permits!!, no 90 day reports, win win.

Please keep us posted of the outcome.

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I doubt its part of their job description

Quite the opposite from my observations . 

I have come across one or two that have a positive attitude.

5 hours ago, recom273 said:

... with little budget ...

How many times the average Thai salary in foreign-sourced income being spent in Thailand is "little," though?   It appears they have decided to stop shooting themselves in the foot by refusing what amounts to repeat-customers.

The only error I see, is not having restrictions on those entering from countries with a lower median salary than Thailand, which could allow flooding the Thai labor market, which hurts Thai workers.  But, they were doing that all this time with Myanmar, Cambodia, and Laos - had unlimited border-entries, while we did not.

• Confused 1

I was reading some news (can't find it now) Thailand is disappointed to low numbers of Indian, Chinese and Russians coming to Thailand.

They were counted to save the economy...

That may be the main reason to relax rules to us?

10 minutes ago, novacova said:

Looked, haven’t seen anything regarding this on mfa or gazette 

typical TIT - leave it up to "discretion" of insolent IO's. 

2 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

FALSE......Ive been here 16 yrs...6 months at a time--due to the 2 land border crossing allowance per year....

Ive always flown ONE way....and NEVER came with a visa     30 day stamp=ext   plus 2 allowed land crossing ..ext both=6 months..been doing this yearly since 2008 without problems or questions from IO ....so your claim in FALSE

the ONE exemption was on the covid return and all the rules and paperwork.....i wanted to be sure so I bought a fake onward

This claim has been beaten to death here....and I am proof it is isnt true..also never been asked to show $$$..which i also have

NOW...MY PP or country may be why....ask IO......but what laws am I breaking?....none ..according to IO officers as they stamp me each year without issue....maybe have been asked less than 5 times by airlines or IO and i only have a carry on and my reply on why i dont have a VISA......I tell them im a traveler and will leave after the 30 days....never asked about onward travel

Short answer..FALSE..... currently on PP #3....lots of stamps...and yes Im aware of the risk...as should all...

Your particular experience doesn't prove anything at all, because people from different countries are treated differently.

For example, If you were from a SE Asian country, you might have had to prove ongoing travel, and hotel bookings and show cash if you had a long history of visa-free stamps in your passport.

When you describe personal experiences, you should indicate what passport you're traveling on. It matters.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Suggest you continue with annual extensions until a time when you are confident that ongoing living in Thailand can be done using visa exempt.

I doubt it. 

Or do it until you are told not too, one can always go back to extensions....🤗

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, cnx101 said:

Yes exactly I just got an email off the agency saying I can renew the retirement visa two months in advance and price drop of 5000 baht, no thanks I won’t be renewing it.

price drop to what

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Or do it until you are told not too, one can always go back to extensions....🤗

Good idea! I predict they will go back to putting warnings in the passports of people who have stayed on 60-day visa-free entries for what is considered too long... so the worst case is you'll get one last entry and then decide on your next plan. The visa-run operations will have on-the-ground information after some time.

Edited by JensenX
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

A few years ago they wanted to stop people making repeated trips on tourist or transit visas, whom they claimed were probably working illegally.  Now they can't get enough of them and will even let them work without WP.  

Yes - said they were worried about "illegal working" from people coming from countries where one day's 8-hour wage is greater than 6 * 12-hrs per-day, here. 
Meanwhile, they kept the no-limit land-border policy for those from poorer, neighboring countries where the vast majority of Illegal Workers were sourced. 
Clearly "illegal working" was a sincere concern with that policy.  /s

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1