Tell us about the idols of your adolescent self

57 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah for sure.

Was crazy about this song.

Still love it.

Each to his own, but give me the singing voices of Elvis, Roy Orbison and country singer George Jones.

41 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Each to his own, but give me the singing voices of Elvis, Roy Orbison and country singer George Jones.

Those names were not big during my teens.

Richard Branson would had been a hero and Idol if my younger self was born a decade later. 

I can easily be inspired by his drive, creativity,work etics, generosity as well way of his style of having fun and activities.

Edited by Hummin

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Another suggested twist. 

Were there idols from your teens that are now very embarrassing to admit?

In my case the French author Celine comes to mind. Very dark subject matter such as graphic descriptions of VD clinics and to me a fascinating writing style though I was only reading translations. I went so far as copying his style in my own writing.

I only learned later that he was a notoriously extreme Jew hater.

So a racist. Half your heroes could be.

I liked Bette Middler.

So I told a hippie garage band friend who was a local legend because he had gone to Woodstock at age 13 that I wanted to go to her concert.

He said -- that's for gays.

I really hadn't realized! 

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I liked Bette Middler.

So I told a hippie garage band friend who was a local legend because he had gone to Woodstock at age 13 that I wanted to go to her concert.

He said -- that's for gays.

I really hadn't realized! 

Had you turned gay yet , at that time ? 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Had you turned gay yet , at that time ? 

No, so his comment was shaming and I never mentioned Bette Middler again.

I have a funny story about that.

A best girl friend (friend who was a girl ha ha) who I hung around with quite a lot, even walked her home sometimes, but never made a move, or even thought about making a move, basically informed me that I was gay. I was talking to her on the phone one day and she basically spilt her findings in an actually nice way. She was Japanese American BTW and her parents had been in the California concentration camps so the atmosphere at her house was kind of heavy. It definitely made me think.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No, so his comment was shaming and I never mentioned Bette Middler again.

I have a funny story about that.

A best girl friend (friend who was a girl ha ha) who I hung around with quite a lot, even walked her home sometimes, but never made a move, or even thought about making a move, basically informed me that I was gay. I was talking to her on the phone one day and she basically spilt her findings in an actually nice way. She was Japanese American BTW and her parents had been in the California concentration camps so the atmosphere at her house was kind of heavy. It definitely made me think.

Really didn't have any idols which is strange.  Never gave it any thought and wasn't really attached to anything.  Maybe I was a strange kid and now just realizing it 🙂  I did idolize my GF's body but that was more lust.  

Going off on a tangent.  Did you watch Piers Morgan's interview with Kevin Spacey? Never idolized the man but really enjoyed his acting.  Being Gay you might have a different perspective.  He is an incredible actor and maybe he fooled me.   I was disgusted with how the media ripped his life apart and never corrected their accusations.  I was glued to YouTube for the 90+ minutes.

On 7/19/2024 at 1:00 PM, Jingthing said:

Another suggested twist. 

Were there idols from your teens that are now very embarrassing to admit?

In my case the French author Celine comes to mind. Very dark subject matter such as graphic descriptions of VD clinics and to me a fascinating writing style though I was only reading translations. I went so far as copying his style in my own writing.

I only learned later that he was a notoriously extreme Jew hater.

Most answer in this forum are English or American.
Where I was living, most top songs were Dutch or French.
This was one of the Pop artists who wrote very good music and was copied by a lot of musiciens.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...