Expats angry at huge concessions in latest Thai visa announcements

5 hours ago, mokwit said:

If you don't extend DTV in country and just do border runs for a new 180 you would never under current enforcement have to do a TM30* or TM47 whilst living here for 5 years. So, those of us on extensions have to deal with "retentive" address confirmations via TM30 and 90 day reports, while the DTV people fly under the radar and Immigration may not know where they are.

In an interview a senior IO said that the reason for TM30 enforcement was that it was embarrassing when they could not find people when requested by foreign police forces or when a tourist hadn't posted on Facebook for 48 hours [and for some reason people back home assumed they had been murdered].

*Landlord might file TM30.

Well the senior IO doesn’t «  tink too Mut »  Even if you do a TM30 it doesn’t mean you can’t be on the other end of Thailand robbing and murdering does it. Or that a young mongering tourist in Hua Hin is out in Pattaya trying out all Soi 6. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, bdenner said:

I understand where you're coming from, living in retirement for over 20 years, and commend you for your efforts putting this post together, obviously English is not your first language.

A pox on the "ba ba bor bor" (idiots) who think you are confused!

well I have been a forum user for a few years and am amazed at all the confusion among the users and no matter the subject either, quite intertaining to say the least.  Good luck to all.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, G_Money said:

That is an option.

I will continue to transfer the required 65k or more every month to meet the needs for my retirement extension until I decide I’ve had enough of the Land of Smiles.

Don’t burn one’s bridges.

in theory from 2024 onwards, you will be taxed on your worldwide income as a thai fiscal resident and maybe a double tax treaty could be invoked to prevent it but it seems that you will need to file a tax report in Thailand...with all the fees and bother associated

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Where does it say DTV Holders are exempt from paying tax on their remitted income? 

guys can't do math or they don't unbderstand what makes a foreigner a tax resident according to the Thai Revenue Department

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Tourism numbers are increasing each year despite the inaccuracies you churn out.

Well done Einstein! Of course they are increasing year on year SINCE the Covid low. If they were not there would be very severe problems.

That the figures have not RECOVERED faster is the disappointment, there's a long way to go and Thailand, obviously, wants to get back to and beyond the 2019 high a.s.a.p.

Edited by pookett
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, pookett said:

Well done Einstein! Of course they are increasing year on year SINCE the Covid low. If they were not there would be very severe problems.

That the figures have not RECOVERED faster is the disappointment, there's a long way to go and Thailand, obviously, wants to get back to and beyond the 2019 high a.s.a.p.

well just the other day they announced 19 million tourists so far this year....however, the money folks say that the amount of money recvd from these tourists is below what was expected.

5 minutes ago, pookett said:

The current administration has set the goal of 80 million tourist arrivals by 2027, double the previous high. 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, fresher said:

Many people seem to be assuming this or have been told this. But nobody can have obtained a 30 day extension to a 60 day stamp yet. And this is Thailand. And the Thai Embassy clearly says you need a return ticket for 60 days or less to get a 60 day stamp. So will all Immigration offices be consistent and deal with this the same?

I thought any entry can be extended at immigration, that's how they make their money..😋

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, UWEB said:

Seems to be you simple don't understand how to become a Tax Resident. Regardless how many times you are coming and going to/from Thailand, if you stay more than 180 days in a Calendar Year in Thailand you are Tax Resident.

I didn't say anything else. But nice that you repeat it. Well done😂

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, stuarty said:

So basically if using extensions (cost not confirmed yet but either B10,000 or B1,900 prolly). You only have to leave every 360 days then return?

Seems like that. We will definitely hear more about it the next week's and months, even new regulations. My impression is they issued something and will adjust later.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Where does it say DTV Holders are exempt from paying tax on their remitted income? 

If you don't extend your stay then it's quite obvious that you don't need to pay taxes

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, racket said:

There are millions of individuals around the world who don’t qualify for retirement but have money in the bank. Therefore, a long-term visa option should be available for these individuals. For instance, many professionals and entrepreneurs accumulate significant savings but do not meet the age requirement for retirement visas. While one might argue that the 800k THB in the bank is still ‘your money,’ it essentially becomes a deposit fund you can’t touch as long as you are in Thailand, making it inaccessible for other investments or emergencies. The Elite visa, however, has no such requirements, offering greater financial flexibility. Additionally, retirement visas are only available to those over 50 years old, excluding younger expatriates who might want to live in Thailand long-term. Considering that the Thailand Elite Visa program offers residency options ranging from 5 to 20 years with benefits such as expedited immigration services and exclusive privileges, it makes perfect sense for those planning to stay more than 10 years to choose this option.

You are confirming what I wrote.

But not so many, of those millions of rich young entrepreneurs, under 50 (!) years old used it.

It was a failing attempt right from the beginning and a bad deal.

Some people bought it, because they had no other choice, and many bought, it because they fell for the "status", and those petty "privileges", which are making everything so "simple".

Everything has its price.

No matter what the market brings tomorrow.

The "retirement" visa was just an example to compare the smart calculation.

About the bank deposit, I think, there is a little difference between having to pay up in advance, which means it's gone! Or having the 800k in my bank account.

For "Elites" maybe not.

Edited by Maitdjai
  • Agree 2

Just now, newbee2022 said:

If you don't extend your stay then it's quite obvious that you don't need to pay taxes

It has nothing to do with the type of Visa or Extensions it's simply how many days you spend in Thailand in any 1 Calendar Year..

1. Enter on a DTV, spend 90 days, have a weekend away in Cambodia, come back for another 90 days - Tax Resident
  2. Enter on a 60 day Visa Exempt, extend it, do a border run & repeat -  Tax Resident
  3. Enter on a Non-IMM O, spend 90 days, go travelling for 7 months, come back for 2 months - Not Tax Resident.

#3 is exactly what I'm planning on doing when I take my PCLS (Pension Commencement Lump Sum) as it's Tax Free in the UK & I don't want to be paying >3Million THB in tax to Thailand when I bring it over.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Maitdjai said:

Oh, another "English" lecturer sharpening his profile.

Wot's wrong with you??

I'm trying to defend those who try their best to communicate on an English WEB site without full knowledge of the language.

Spare me days!!!!

Let me welcome you to "ba ba bor bor"

Edited by bdenner
To add
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

This is flip flop Thailand, anyone who has stayed here for some time, say retirees, know this will change in only a few days or weeks. They always publish without thinking, let the feedback come, then flip the rules. Sit back, and watch the chaos unfold.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

I will definitely look into this. My last trip there was a Pain in the $ss. I left with no intension of ever going back. Now?  I may head back for 6 months..  Perfect for people like me that have no intension of living there full time.  I ditched my retirement visa in Thailand when they went with the 800K in the bank. The polution was killing me there and I was only staying 6 months a year anyway. 

If that is the case then I may come back for 6 months at at time. At present I travel to countries that only let you stay for 6 months a year, but it is basically free and I don't have to do border runs and jump through hoops. I love it. As I have no intension of living there anyway.

Thailand is only livable for 6 months a year anyway. 

Edited by Gknrd
  • Thumbs Up 1

All these border runs will get the tourist numbers up.   Thailand has learned that the main thing they have for their economy is tourism.   They want the money but they don't try to better the experience by cracking down on those taxis in BKK that refuse fares.   Maybe they don't know how much just one such experience bothers some of us.     This fake government is trying to make the pubes feel like they care.