Anyone been bitten by a Thai scorpion? Is it the same as bee sting?

This morning I had a friendly scorpion walk past my shoes. I live in semi rural area with small plot of land. 

My wife says I can die from being bitten by it. I thought it was akin to being stung by a bee. 

Do hospitals have anti-venom for this? Nevertheless I will start putting my shoes on a chair from now on. 

image.thumb.jpeg.52fa041a8389ce93de9d69236835324c.jpeg

IMG_2679.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A few years ago i was stung by a scorpion,twice in about five seconds.

It hurt like hxll and the pain lasted for a few hours but my head kept pulsating for 3 days after!

A scorpion crawled into my helmet and when i put it on it felt like being hit with a hammer.

Before i could take my helmet off he hit me again!

I think being stung on top of the head must be one of the worst places to be stung.

It was almost White in color.

Edited by jvs
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, jvs said:

A few years ago i was stung by a scorpion,twice in about five seconds.

It hurt like hxll and the pain lasted for a few hours but my head kept pulsating for 3 days after!

A scorpion crawled into my helmet and when i put it on it felt like being hit with a hammer.

Before i could take my helmet off he hit me again!

I think being stung on top of the head must be one of the worst places to be stung.

It was almost White in color.

Holy crap. what a shocker. I will never leave my shoes on the ground in my carport again

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, advancebooking said:

Holy crap. what a shocker. I will never leave my shoes on the ground in my carport again

Only ever wear flip flops now.....and give them a good kick before slipping them on....5555

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, KhunLA said:

image.png.6fbe7e9230d45550fb39273896fc1e8e.png

Yes, the pain is excruciating, nothing like a bee sting, more like a red hot poker being stabbed into your foot (I trod on one barefoot a few years ago) it lasts a couple of hours but no, you won't die from it.

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Yes, the pain is excruciating, nothing like a bee sting, more like a red hot poker being stabbed into your foot (I trod on one barefoot a few years ago) it lasts a couple of hours but no, you won't die from it.

😂😂😂

Antihistamine over in a hour!

watch --> kings of pain

these guys get bitten by everything... even a python... to test the pain factor in each pain/bite/sting

image.jpeg.feade75feb5867d8c4cfe5e30a9f7375.jpeg

Category Rated from 1-10 (10 highest): 30 Point Overall Scoring
Episode Species Total
2 Uroplectes Scorpion 12.5
2 Lion Fish 18.25
3 Harvester Ants 20.5
3 Tarantula Hawk 16

image.webp

• Haha 1

I got stung by a small brown one in bed one night .

My bed cover was dangling on the floor and he must have climbed up it.

I was in a deepish sleep and I thought I had a fly on my chest and I tred to swat it away.

Then I felt a hot needle enter my chest and I let out a grown , the wife woke up , saw what it was and went and got an Ice pack.

I used that for 2 or 3 hours and although the pain subsided there was a bit of swelling and itching for the rest of the day.

When a (black) scorpion appears in the garden it has to be killed because we have 25 cats that roam around during the day. The cats are all indoors at night though. My wife has been stung before and has said that it hurts tremendously. 

• Confused 1

Black ones are not so bad and easier to just get rid off . The small brown / tan colour ones hurt like hell according to my wife .

She thought it would be a good idea to strim the small grass area outside our front gate wearing flip flops 😄

Couldn't walk properly for 3 days after getting stung and first day basically couldn't put her foot down on the floor it was that painful.

21 hours ago, advancebooking said:

This morning I had a friendly scorpion walk past my shoes. I live in semi rural area with small plot of land. 

My wife says I can die from being bitten by it. I thought it was akin to being stung by a bee. 

Do hospitals have anti-venom for this? Nevertheless I will start putting my shoes on a chair from now on. 

I was stung by one on the finger about 3 weeks ago. It was like a vaccination with a red hot needle and my whole hand became swollen, took about 4 days for hand to go back to normal and you can still see the puncture mark.

My niece is a doctor and said I should go along to the clinic and get tetanus jab and antibiotics. I had been moving rubble ant that type of scorpion lives in the ground so a bigger risk from soil bacteria than the venom itself.

The doctor said he didn't think the puncture was deep enough to be a tetanus risk but suggested I have it anyway. Gave me a course of antibiotic and some other pills for headache and nausea, job lot came to 240 baht. The vaccine was free, just 30 baht for the nurse to stick the needle in.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Do hospitals have anti-venom for this

No, I don't think so.

When I was bitten by scorpion in Thailand, I went to the hospital immediately. I was given Tetanus injection and pain killer injection, that's all.

Thai scorpions are not so poisonous. Death rate is only 0.1%

• Like 1

I grew up in an area of the US with many scorpions. I've lived in Thailand for 27 years come this late August (or at least called it home even though I was working in another country).  I've never seem a scorpion in Thailand...

This is the result of a sting from a paper wasp while I was trimming a shrub this morning. Instant sharp stabbing pain lasting a few minutes. Swelling and itching started about an hour later. From previous experience the itching will get worse and it will start getting better in about five days.

20240813_113312.jpg

I was once bitten by a scorpion on Koh Samui, and the pain was bad for many hours after! It was dark so I do not know what scorpion it was. Had some regular painkillers but they did not work at all. Took about 10 hours before the pain was gone. I did not go to hospital due to reasons I will not mention here. I was also stung by a bee last trip, but that pain was not nearly as bad. But my finger became discolored for many days after.

Another nasty flying thing is something that looks like a very big wasp! 

It was stuck under the helmet and stung me, Painful and I was dizzy and felt like <deleted> the whole day. Lol! This has happened over a period of 35 years, so I think I can say it is "safe" in Thailand as long as you are aware of these insects. They are a bit more poisonous than the types we have in Europe. 😂😁

22 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

If you are unlucky enough to be envenomated then immerse the area in hot water.  The venom is destroyed by heat.

No it isn't.     Handling Scorpion Stings

1. Apply cool compresses or an ice pack to the bite.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, alanrchase said:

This is the result of a sting from a paper wasp while I was trimming a shrub this morning. Instant sharp stabbing pain lasting a few minutes. Swelling and itching started about an hour later. From previous experience the itching will get worse and it will start getting better in about five days.

20240813_113312.jpg