China Denies Upstream Water Release Amid Thai Floods

24 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Why is Thaksin involved in this? He is not in any government capacity to be doing this.

Because he was proxy PM during the last major flooding back in 2010, that time on behalf of ‘little sis’

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

When I think of severe flooding in Thailand....

My first thought is to recollect the floods of just over a decades ago.

image.png.0ac9bd19d9947973e378e064e34756ed.png

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2011/10/worst-flooding-in-decades-swamps-thailand/100168/

I remember flying from CM to Bangkok at this time. All I could see was a mass of brown water as far as I could see with the odd hill or some rooftops breaking through. 

54 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

The good water management of Thailand.. It is because of China, we couldn't do anything about ...But for years nothing really nothing is done to solve yearly flooding in this country.. No cleaning waterways, no dam level management, but only sell land to built houses, businesses and no further infrastructure whatso ever

Havea good look at the photo mate, no amount of infrastructure is going to stop that. Have you ever been up there, near the Mekong? 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

China has denied allegations that water released from the Jinghong Dam in Yunnan has contributed to severe flooding in Thailand’s northern and northeastern regions.

OMG  you don't believe whatever China says. Where have you been? EV's saving the world while the electricity to power them is made with coal which is polluting the rest of the world.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Thaksin seems to have his finger on the pulse of exactly what the government is doing...

not meddling my ar$e

Idiots, this is about China not Thaksin.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had suggested that the unusually high water

Well,....he suggested....

It's common to point first to others than blame yourself 😐

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yea ... it pretty much floods along the Mekong every other year, sometimes very bad.  Been doing that the whole 24 years I've lived in TH.  

It's called rainy season.  Revolving floods, and of course droughts & low reservoirs.  You'd think after 80 years after WW II they would have figured out how to manage the water a bit better.

Oh wait ... the N & NE, was low on BKK's priorities for decades.  

I get your point mate but nobody can manage vast areas of low land with one of the biggest rivers in the world running through it during the monsoon season. The water has to go somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Coota said:

I get your point mate but nobody can manage vast areas of low land with one of the biggest rivers in the world running through it during the monsoon season. The water has to go somewhere.

You can, and other countries manage.   OR ... Buddha forbid, try not building on low level flood plains, would be even a better solution.   oops ... too late.

Nong Khai city as a retaining wall, and works ... most of the time  :cheesy:   Same with Vientiane, Laos, as haven't read about them being flooded out for some time, though don't really pay attention.