The Death penalty your opinion

I am in favour. Human life isn't sacred....there are 8 billion of us, easily enough to keep the species going. About 10% of males you meet are total harseholes, and 1-2% of women, ruining others' lives by drinking too much, beating their wives/husbands up, picking fights in the pub and murdering people, drinking and driving, thieving etc etc Put them all down, I don't care...maybe the 90% would have a chance at a good life without these scumbags. Set a gallis pole up and clear out the prisons. 

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

No, do it just before a football match so that others will learn.

And none of this dilly dallying with injections. which apparently cost loads, even though they can put me to sleep in seconds in a hospital.

One bullet in back of the head = done and dusted. And no chance to blunder it.

Perhaps you'd be happier living under the Taliban or ISIS? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Perhaps you'd be happier living under the Taliban or ISIS? 

No, don't talk silly. But these men, and sometimes women, who set fire to their wives, chop them up, rape children for years etc, do not deserve to consume oxygen, no matter how polluted it may be. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, DougieMax said:

It is unfortunate that the New Testament is silent on this point. On the other hand, the Old Testament is all for it. And islam loves nothing more than inflicting it. Choose your poison.

Hardly authoritative moral guides.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

The death penalty is not punishment. It's release. The criminal might not like the idea of dying, but once it's over, it's finished and the criminal no longer pays for his crime. He doesn't even know about it.

Instead, let the convicted felons do hard time. Rock piles, shoveling gravel from morning till night. Or civil construction work, stoop labor, chain-gang work.
No TV, no movies, no music. Nothing but three meals a day and hard labor.

That's punishment.

Still going for it, as it saves the state a lot of costs for worthless humans.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Are you heartless person, would you murder someone? 

Every country should have the death penalty, lots of animals committing horrendous, shocking crime in society, need to be put down. 

Doesn't that bring the executioner or people who vote for executions down to the same base level of the animals you describe?

73% of the worlds countries have abolished the death penalty on the grounds that its a inhumane act by the captors. Acts that hark back to medieval times. To be a proponent of the death penalty leaves you in a minority of the human race today.

• Like 1

While I am left of center, politically, socially progressive, I am also an American. When I lived in the USA, I was a gun owner, mostly target shooting and small game in a rural area. I also went through the training to hold a Concealed Deadly Weapon License (this was to cover me if I had a gun in the car but out of sight). So, we saw the actual shooting of Oswald by Jack Ruby. We saw the actual shooting of Reagan. In both those cases, I have no problem with the death penalty. Break into my home and threaten the life or bodily harm to me and mine? I would have no hesitation of killing and would not lose sleep. As to more subtle evidence presented to the Trial Jury? Too many cases where later DNA fact finds the jury was wrong … in those cases, I favor life without parole unless that DNA or more solid evidence comes forth clearing the accused.

On 9/1/2024 at 4:20 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

I don't know the full story but I reckon the murderer was heartless for killing the teenager back in 1992, did you not read that? 😂

Are you heartless person, would you murder someone? 

Every country should have the death penalty, lots of animals committing horrendous, shocking crime in society, need to be put down. 

The death penalty is fine, but only if it is proved 100%, not 99.9%, that the person is guilty of premedicated murder.

• Agree 2

On this planet, humanoids control noxious problems through eradication.   Except for fellow humanoids.  Premeditated murders and vicious drug lords / personnel should be eradicated.    It is totally amazing how the Worlds humanoid societies will protect a toxic group of murders at the expense of law abiding, tax paying citizens.  

Death is inevitable for all of us.    Why let threats to society linger at our expense when we could accelerate their demise, rather than stretch it out.  It is a choice they made.    Did their victims have a choice?

The age should not be a determining factor .

Edited by NORDO
It

An eye for an eye: the principle is sound. However what tends to happen is lynching crowds starting to demand the death penalty for victimless crimes (drugs) or tabu breaking involving no violence (pedophilia). 

Also, the death penalty would be reserved for males, female offenders being deemed born victims, however heinous and barbaric their crime. In countries such as France or the UK it's all that can be done for women who murder with premeditation to even spend a single day in jail!

So on the whole, the death penalty, however sound in principle, ends up being a mess.

• Sad 1

I can give 20 reasons against the death penalty from a UK perspective:

Guildford 4.

Birmingham 6.

McGuire 8.

Barry George.

All 19 of the above would have swung if UK had not abolished this act of barbarity.

They all subsequently appealed successfully.

Oh, and number 20: it's just plain wrong and backward looking.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 7:29 AM, ChipButty said:

In China, do they still execute corrupt officials, I'm all for that, 

When it comes to executing Chinese Communist Party officials, I am all in.

I would recommend that you read the book "Red Roulette: An Insider’s Story of Wealth, Power, Corruption, and Vengeance in Today’s China" written by Desmond Shum.

It describes in minute details the corruption ongoing in nowadays China, with a special focus on Xi Jinping's family and close associates.

Xi’s sister Qi Qiaoqiao and her husband Deng Jiagui are the owners of Beijing Central People’s Trust Real Estate Development Corporation Ltd

In 2012, Bloomberg revealed that Xi’s extended family had total assets worth $376 million, which included 18% stake in the provincial state-owned Jiangxi Rare Earth and Rare Metals Tungsten Group.

Rare earths and metals are essential components in the manufacturing of electric vehicles, which adoption is currently heavily promoted in China.

And when it comes to executing corrupt Communist party officers, I would start from here.

Reality is that, when it comes to corruption, Western politicians are amateurs if compared to Chinese and Russian apparatchik.

Edited by AndreasHG

On 9/1/2024 at 4:37 AM, DougieMax said:

It is unfortunate that the New Testament is silent on this point. On the other hand, the Old Testament is all for it. And islam loves nothing more than inflicting it. Choose your poison.

SOD ALL to do with any religion! 

Murder is murder and all murderers should die along with their victims. No excuses. No diminished responsibility. All murderers clearly have diminished responsibility  and a few if not a lot of loose screws!

Not just murderers, but rapists. drug pushers, terrorists and many others.

HOWEVER, capital punishment should only be applied, where there is 100% total proof of guilt. When not, LIFE Imprisonment...meaning life, not a reduced spell behind bars and parole in next to no time. And hard labour to boot!

• Agree 1

I am against the death penalty because: 1.  I value life and the death penalty devalues it.  And, 2.  There have been cases of people sentenced to death being found innocent.  Yes, these cases are rare but even just one rules out having the death penalty, in my opinion.  I prefer life in prison without the possibility of parole.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Trentham said:

I don't believe in it but if it is Trump I will make an exception.

Why do you Americans need to bring politics into everything?

Who cares about some bloke in America where people are on $5 an hour wages and no free health care and laying homeless in the streets walking around with guns and after 6 months unemployment your on your own.fantastic system 

What a lovely place 

Edited by georgegeorgia

5 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

While I am left of center, politically, socially progressive, I am also an American. When I lived in the USA, I was a gun owner, mostly target shooting and small game in a rural area. I also went through the training to hold a Concealed Deadly Weapon License (this was to cover me if I had a gun in the car but out of sight). So, we saw the actual shooting of Oswald by Jack Ruby. We saw the actual shooting of Reagan. In both those cases, I have no problem with the death penalty. Break into my home and threaten the life or bodily harm to me and mine? I would have no hesitation of killing and would not lose sleep. As to more subtle evidence presented to the Trial Jury? Too many cases where later DNA fact finds the jury was wrong … in those cases, I favor life without parole unless that DNA or more solid evidence comes forth clearing the accused.

You need to hand those weapons in , you could scare people having a gun.

You should use diplomacy when threated not a weapon 

34 minutes ago, newnative said:

I am against the death penalty because: 1.  I value life and the death penalty devalues it.  And, 2.  There have been cases of people sentenced to death being found innocent.  Yes, these cases are rare but even just one rules out having the death penalty, in my opinion.  I prefer life in prison without the possibility of parole.

"I value life and the death penalty devalues it."    What utter nonsense. I am sure most of us value life, but when ones life is deliberately removed by a murderer, the murderers life warrants being devalued.........wiped out in its entirety!"...............subject to the normal safeguards

On 9/1/2024 at 3:50 AM, maesariang said:

The victim is dead. Never gets a 2nd chance. With dna much easier to prove cases now. Was dodgy before. 

Also much easier to plant ...

6 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Reagan was just attempted murder. Don't agree with that one. Kennedy, still too many unknowns. A few others, I would agree. In general, I think prison is a more severe punishment.

16 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Reagan was just attempted murder. Don't agree with that one. Kennedy, still too many unknowns. A few others, I would agree. In general, I think prison is a more severe punishment.

Not really concerned with their punishment, more about ridding them from society.  Total waste of money & resources keeping them alive for 10-20-30-40-50 yrs.

All for prisons and death penalty for that reason.  Rarely does it rehabilitate or stop crime, obviously, as the system in USA now is simply a revolving, money making door.

House them for as long as possible in private facilities, make money, let 'em out, rinse & repeat.

Actually more in favor of a penal colony.  Some hell hole island, and just drop them off, and they are on their own.  That would be a crime deterrent.

F'em all.  If you can't play nice, you're not allowed on the playground :coffee1:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Not really concerned with their punishment, more about ridding them from society.  Total waste of money & resources keeping them alive for 10-20-30-40-50 yrs.

All for prisons and death penalty for that reason.  Rarely does it rehabilitate or stop crime, obviously, as the system in USA now is simply a revolving, money making door.

House them for as long as possible in private facilities, make money, let 'em out, rinse & repeat.

Actually more in favor of a penal colony.  Some hell hole island, and just drop them off, and they are on their own.  That would be a crime deterrent.

F'em all.  If you can't play nice, you're not allowed on the playground :coffee1:

I get it but where do you draw the line? Drug dealers? Rapists? Traffic infractions? 

5 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I get it but where do you draw the line? Drug dealers? Rapists? Traffic infractions? 

I don't, as there is no lie for predators of society.  Anyone is allowed to be an idiot, but prey on people, sorry, no, not sorry ... you don't deserve to be walking among us.

Murderers, and any person that rapes, mutilates or tortures a fellow human being loses all their rights.

By doing these heinous crimes they lose any  human rights they may have had.

They did not treat their victims with any respect and therefore the same should apply to them.

Firing squad is too good for these scum. 

On 9/1/2024 at 9:11 AM, Gandtee said:

Yeah right. What about AN posters that make inane comments? But I get your sarcasm.😉

I suspect your original post was a troll posting, and you are being disengenuous about the US. Its widely known/

Also, the US government very rarely executes anyone. There are 40 prisoners on Federal Death Row. But you might be confused by the difference between punishments carried out the Federal government and punishments based on State Law.

Not all cultures consider financial crime as being excluded from the death penalty. A good friend from Taiwan was very serious that Nick Leeson ("Rogue Trader") should have been executed for destroying Barents Bank. I was a big shocked, and he justified it because the man caused great harm to society, with people losing their savings. Now the extent of personal losses might not have been exactly like that, people lost their jobs because of him, so the principle remains.

Time on death row is not part of the punishment, but is due to the rights of the convicted to appeal.

When the UK had the dealth penalty, sentence was usually carried out quickly. The condemed had a right of appeal; within 2 weeks of conviction, and if that failed, an appeal for clemancy to the Home Secretary. Sentence was carried out within 4-6 weeks of the court appearance. The condemmed were usually not told of the date of execution . The first notice they would get would be the priest, then a few prison officers to take the prisoner to the execution chamber, final words, bag on head (no option not to have the bag), noose, drop. Vividly dramatised by Channel 4 imagining if Paul Gadd had been executed according to the previous UK guidelines. I suspect if he's ever allowed to look at Youtube, this would be a tough watch for Gadd (aka Gary Glitter).

The last capital conviction in the UK was in 1973, following the murder of a soldier. The condemned man was in the death cell, before capital punishment was finally abolished.

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

"I value life and the death penalty devalues it."    What utter nonsense. I am sure most of us value life, but when ones life is deliberately removed by a murderer, the murderers life warrants being devalued.........wiped out in its entirety!"...............subject to the normal safeguards

'normal safeguards'  Talk about utter nonsense.   Since 1973, there have been 196 exonerations of prisoners on death row in the United States.   So much for 'safeguards'