Tory Councillor’s Wife Pleads Guilty to Racial Hate Post Remanded in Custody

Social Media

image.png

Lucy Connolly, the wife of a Conservative councillor, has admitted to a charge of inciting racial hatred with a post she made on social media. Connolly, 41, who works as a childminder and is married to a councillor serving on West Northamptonshire Council, posted an inflammatory message on the social media platform X, previously known as Twitter.

Her post, laced with expletives, called for hotels housing asylum seekers to be set on fire and demanded mass deportations. The post was made on the same day that three young girls tragically lost their lives in Southport.  Connolly appeared in court via video link from HMP Peterborough, wearing a short-sleeved dress with a floral pattern. During the hearing at Northampton Crown Court, Judge Adrienne Lucking KC sternly warned her that she faced a likely prison sentence. Connolly’s post, which openly called for violence against migrants, included the statement, “If that makes me racist, so be it,” showing her willingness to accept the label in pursuit of her inflammatory views. 

The judge acknowledged the seriousness of the offense, stating that Connolly’s sentencing would be moved to Birmingham to avoid any potential local bias that might arise due to her husband’s political position. Judge Lucking emphasized, “Sentencing will entirely be a matter for the judge on the next occasion, but it’s likely to be a substantial custodial sentence. In the meantime, you are remanded in custody.” Connolly’s husband, Raymond Connolly, was present in the public gallery, witnessing the proceedings as his wife faced the consequences of her actions.

The case comes amid a broader context of legal actions involving young offenders across the country. In unrelated court proceedings, a sentencing hearing for a 12-year-old boy who admitted to participating in two incidents of disorder in Manchester was postponed because his mother was on holiday in Ibiza. Additionally, a 15-year-old boy from Sunderland became the first person in England to be charged with rioting over the disorder and appeared before magistrates, while another 15-year-old boy from Hull, who admitted to stealing from shops during the riots, also had his sentencing postponed.

Connolly’s case highlights the growing issue of hate speech on social media and the legal system’s efforts to address incitement to racial hatred. The outcome of her sentencing could set a precedent for how the courts handle similar offenses in the future, reinforcing the message that online hate speech intended to incite violence will not be tolerated.

Credit: BBC 2024-09-04

news-logo-btm.jpg

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, James105 said:

Yes, it was a horrible tweet that she wouldn't have made if she wasn't so angry about 3 little girls being slaughtered by a 2nd generation immigrant.  People do behave irrationally when angry.  Do you think she should actually spend more time in jail than this guy who spent zero days in jail?  

image.thumb.png.7ed937491fe05b790c55d2409b69d8c0.png

I think your whataboutary guy should be locked up too.

Next.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I look forward to comparing her sentence to that of the Labour guy who called for his opponents have their throats slit.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/ricky-jones-violent-disorder-charge-throat-slit-cps-b1175682.html

Should be interesting given the 2 tier system in Britain. 

Yep, lock that whataboutary guy up too.

Next.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 2

Just now, BKKBike09 said:

Next. Oh, alright, if I must.

This woman posted something stupid and crass: “Mass deportation now, set fire to all the <deleted> hotels full of the bastards for all I care […] if that makes me racist, so be it

But did anyone actually set fire to any hotel? No. Is calling for deportation illegal in itself? Is calling someone a bastard illegal?

There is absolutely no evidence that her post 'incited' anyone to take any action. Prison time would be ridiculous.

I recommend you don’t follow her example without taking professional advice on what the law has to say on the matter.

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If born in the UK it makes them British other than by descent - unquestionably British and not an immigrant.

If they are living in closed off communities and not integrating I would question that.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Her words absolutely are having a consequence.

Thankfully only visited upon herself.

Please answer the question: which hotels housing migrants were set on fire?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If born in the UK it makes them British other than by descent - unquestionably British and not an immigrant.

being born in UK doesn't make you British i believe

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

She encouraged people to commit arson and quite possible to burn people alive , I do recall that some people did indeed try to do as she suggested and burn people alive . 

She should be looking at attempted murder charges , its nothing to do with "1984" 

Absolutely correct.

• Sad 2