High-Speed Pickup Truck Crash in Phuket Leaves Two Dead

Georgealbert

IMG_5219.jpeg

Pictures from responders.

A high-speed accident occurred in the early hours of September 6, involving a white Isuzu D-Max pickup truck. The driver lost control, crashing into a traffic sign on the central road divider before slamming into a sugar palm tree. The impact left the truck severely damaged and resulted in serious injuries for three young passengers.

Emergency services quickly transported the victims to a nearby hospital, while investigators noted that the vehicle’s speedometer was stuck at 150 km/h, indicating the high speed at the time of the crash.

The crash took place at approximately 03:15  near the Sri Suntorn Municipality on Thepkasattri Road in the Thalang District. Police Lieutenant Thanyaphisit Muangchan, of the Thalang Police Station, received the initial report and immediately dispatched rescue teams from Sri Suntorn Municipality and Kusoldharm Foundation. Ambulances from Thalang Hospital were also sent to the scene.

Upon arriving at the scene, authorities found the severely damaged pickup truck, bearing a license plate from Phuket. The truck had crashed into a road sign and then hit a sugar palm tree, splitting the vehicle’s cabin from its bed. The wreckage was extensive due to the force of the crash. Three passengers were found injured inside the vehicle, and were later identified as 19-year-old Nattawut (surname withheld), who was driving, along with 19-year-old Thanawat and 17-year-old Natthapong (surnames withheld), who were passengers in the truck. All three sustained serious injuries with two later recorded as dead by the hospital.

With the speedometer needle stuck at 150 km/h, suggesting that the truck had been traveling at a dangerously high speed prior and the wet road conditions, following a rainstorm earlier that night, contributed to the driver’s inability to control the vehicle.

Eyewitnesses also recounted that the pickup truck had been traveling at high speed when it suddenly veered onto the central road divider and crashing.

Police have recorded the incident and are awaiting the recovery of the injured man to obtain further statements. Meanwhile, the authorities are in the process of conducting a full investigation to determine the exact cause of the crash.

IMG_5218.jpeg

IMG_5220.jpeg

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-06

Cigna Banner (500x100) (1).png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

I am beginning to think the "D" in Dmax stands for "D"-bag. Just like the "R" in "Raptor" too often seems to stand for "Retard"..... luckily they didn't take down any innocents. Sorry, empathy level zero. 

I like to think the S on my S-class means special or superior.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

I like to think the S on my S-class means special or superior.

Ahhh, now I know why the MB dealer put an "E" on the back of my car. So everyone knows I have the Elite visa!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

The truck had crashed into a road sign and then hit a sugar palm tree, splitting the vehicle’s cabin from its bed. The wreckage was extensive due to the force of the crash. Three passengers were found injured inside the vehicle, and were later identified as 19-year-old Nattawut (surname withheld), who was driving, along with 19-year-old Thanawat and 17-year-old Natthapong (surnames withheld), who were passengers in the truck. All three sustained serious injuries with later recorded as dead by the hospital.

At least no innocent people were killed with them.

1 hour ago, Sandboxer said:

Ahhh, now I know why the MB dealer put an "E" on the back of my car. So everyone knows I have the Elite visa!

Oh heck, I had better keep quiet about my W 123 Merc

57 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

At least no innocent people were killed with them.

Presumably only 1 of the 3 was driving.  The other 2 might have been screaming 'slow down!!'

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

I am beginning to think the "D" in Dmax stands for "D"-bag. Just like the "R" in "Raptor" too often seems to stand for "Retard"..... luckily they didn't take down any innocents. Sorry, empathy level zero. 

There were two innocents in the cab that died

9 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Presumably only 1 of the 3 was driving.  The other 2 might have been screaming 'slow down!!'

9 minutes ago, itsari said:

There were two innocents in the cab that died

Fair enough I suppose. 

I'm sure the other two would've ended up as  well adjusted, basic traffic laws/common sense abiding future drivers like most here^^.

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

Fair enough I suppose. Far be it from me to even possibly think that the other two would've ended up as anything else besides well adjusted rule/sens abiding future local drivers^^.

We will never know as the two passengers are no longer a part of the future.

Luckily for you didn’t buy a c-class.

They might have thought you were a bit of a…….can’t……. swear on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MalcolmB said:

Luckily for you didn’t buy a c-class.

They might have thought you were a bit of a…….can’t……. swear on this forum.

Well played 555.

2 hours ago, Upnotover said:

"Leaves Two Dead"

"All three sustained serious injuries with later recorded as dead by the hospital."

Not that it makes much difference, or maybe the word "two" is missing in the second statement.

"

Expecting advanced math knowledge is probably as silly as this accident.

2 hours ago, Upnotover said:

"Leaves Two Dead"

"All three sustained serious injuries with later recorded as dead by the hospital."

Not that it makes much difference, or maybe the word "two" is missing in the second statement.

"

Sorry, yes a typo error, I have since corrected. Thanks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

With the speedometer needle stuck at 150 km/h, suggesting that the truck had been traveling at a dangerously high speed prior and the wet road conditions, following a rainstorm earlier that night, contributed to the driver’s inability to control the vehicle.

The stuck needle isn´t indicating anything. When are they going to educate themselves?

11 hours ago, brianthainess said:

That means nothing, that could happen on impact from inertia, or the wheels/drive shaft still spinning. 

Based on the damage, I am sure it's not far off from what the drivers speed was at the time of the crash.

A tragedy for their families. Looking at the road, it was very wet. Speed definitely involved. Probably far too fast for the road conditions, skidded or aquaplaned, and then into the sign and trees is most likely scenario. So easily preventable with better training and awareness. RIP.

Edited by soi3eddie

On 9/6/2024 at 11:13 AM, brianthainess said:

That means nothing, that could happen on impact from inertia, or the wheels/drive shaft still spinning. 

The wreckage however indicates that speed on impact was somewhere in that area.

12 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

60 years ago, what were most Thai people driving?

Ox carts?

Too bad we cannot return to those much simpler and safer times.

This would be better for Thai youth, too....!

Now the buffaloes are doing the driving.........:coffee1:

• Agree 1