Pickup Spins Out of Control After Being Honked at by Motorcycle, Crashes in Drainage Ditch

Georgealbert

2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

if any government property was damaged, Mr. Samai would be held responsible for compensating the authorities. 

What of everything else, owned privately, he might have damaged?

• Confused 3

oh dear Georgealbert ....   I've honked at a few drivers but the never crashed afterwards.

I hope everyone is ok from the accident.  It sounds like he was speeding Georgealbert.

Many nasty drivers here in Thailand.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

As he approached a three-way intersection, he turned right, only to encounter a motorcycle coming straight towards him, honking aggressively. Startled, he attempted to accelerate and overtake the motorcycle,

How do you overtake a motorcycle which is coming TOWARDS you?

• Agree 2

Post breaking forum rules have been removed.

Rule 17. ASEAN NOW news team collects news articles from various recognised and reputable news sources. The articles  may be consolidated from different sources and rewritten with AI assistance These news items are shared in our forums for members to stay informed and engaged. Our dedicated news team puts in the effort to deliver quality content, and we ask for your respect in return. Any disrespectful comments about our news articles or the content itself, such as calling it "clickbait" or “slow news day”, and criticising grammatical errors, will not be tolerated and appropriate action will be taken. Please note that republished articles may contain errors or opinions that do not reflect the views of ASEAN NOW

• Thumbs Up 1

Most educated drivers with a skill set, when faced with a obstacle of any sort tend to slow down and try to determine a solution to the issue. Why anyone would speed up on a slippery surface is anyone's guess. It sounds like this goon is intellectually challenged, and possesses very poor driving skills. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Most educated drivers with a skill set, when faced with a obstacle of any sort tend to slow down and try to determine a solution to the issue. Why anyone would speed up on a slippery surface is anyone's guess. It sounds like this goon is intellectually challenged, and possesses very poor driving skills. 

Agreed...  something is different with the mentality of many on the Thai roads when it comes to the simple application of caution.

... There seems to be some underlying resistance to braking, which in so many of these incidents is taken as a last resort when all other possibilities have been ruled out... 

Just look at cars approaching a pedestrian crossing - its long been said that 'drivers will speed up' to prevent a pedestrian from crossing, though in reality, the cars will simply not brake... and if you cross they will leave the braking to the last possible moment. 

In this example: I wonder if there was a bike at all... 

If there was a bike, was it or the pickup on the wrong side of the road... 

I've also seen drivers of other vehicles get angry at another driver, they then show their anger by driving in the most erratic fashion...     I wonder if the pickup got angry and drove in this highly erratic manner and overcooked it.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:
6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So when a vehicle is coming straight for you, you accelerate????

If it is coming towards you, you can only pass it and NOT overtake it.

I figured most people would have understood from the article... that the translation is not the best (as is usual).... and  the pickup driver actually meant 'avoid' (as in swerve to pass / avoid / go around the oncoming Motorcycle)...

... Though, more likely, the driver who ended up in a ditch is lying, attempting to save face for his cr*ppy and dangerous driving...    I wonder if he was tested for booze and drugs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Police recorded the incident and noted that if any government property was damaged, Mr. Samai would be held responsible for compensating the authorities. 

I'd be furious IF in the process of having to avoid a psycho-motorcyclist or another vehicle travelling the wrong way down the road (i.e. avoiding a head on collision) that I swerve and cause damage to government property, the authorities are going to come after me for the costs of damage. 

Dash-Cams - Just another reason to have them.

2 hours ago, Phantom57 said:

My thoughts, the car was approaching a T intersection ( 3 way intersection) along the vertical part of the “T” wanting to turn right. The bike was travelling straight through the T from left to right. He beeped the car to tell the car to hold to avoid a collision. After the bike had passed,  the angry car driver then turned right to chase down the bike and overtake him and spun off. 

Also plausible.

They are so immature that a horn honk can provoke them into anger, recklessness and dangerous behaviour.

2 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

When oh when are they going to make pickup trucks that can drive on wet roads. 😡

When are they going to make pick ups, buses and trucks that are brake failure proof,  and can go at high speed on wet roads.

These are a must for Thailand and the drivers ... it just stands to reason.  

3 hours ago, Phantom57 said:

My thoughts, the car was approaching a T intersection ( 3 way intersection) along the vertical part of the “T” wanting to turn right. The bike was travelling straight through the T from left to right. He beeped the car to tell the car to hold to avoid a collision. After the bike had passed,  the angry car driver then turned right to chase down the bike and overtake him and spun off. 

It is not a good junction, many people dont realise that vehichles travelling along Tungklom Talman have right of way when turning right there, the road approaching from the left has a solid white line meaning vehicles (ie: the motorcycle) should stop there.

• Thumbs Up 1