Ideas for a low speed room fan?

Kenny202

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

it was a Hatari 16" fan too noisy with a capacitor. I binned the Capacitor and don't use the fan night time

Oh, so not a variable voltage regulator then like the one posted earlier.

I settled on this Xiaomi one. Look like pretty good reviews re gentle speed, low noise and easy to clean. DC inverter which means you have very low and overall good speed control and torque. Basically an aircon fan but a lot easier to clean. Take off the back panel and the whole rotary turbine thing comes out to pressure wash outside. Got a pretty good deal too with Lazada coupons for 1600 baht delivered. Should be the ticket hopefully ๐Ÿ™‚ย Thanks all for the advice

ย 

ย 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deadbeat said:

I got lucky. Some years ago I had a Hatari fan that for some reason started going real slow. Was gonna ditch it but then in the winter months it's real handy as it gives a nice gentle breeze, just enough to move the air.

No good in the summer but as you know, you cant buy these.

Some years ago I had a Hatari fan that for some reason started going real slow - most probably the capacitor needs replacement?

undervolt the fan
you could do as others suggest

another option (same same but different)
use a 12vdc fan like this one
https://www.lazada.co.th/products/nnc-12-15-fan-12voltt-18w-16-bfe-40-dc-12-i4096882497

with an adjustable dc power supply, which there are many to choose from
like this one for 90 baht

i do similar on PCs with standard 120mm case fans
if no controller but i want the fans to run at low speed
i simply switch the molex connector around and force it in
so the 12v fans are powered by 5v

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I have 5 speed ceiling fans in my house. The one above me now is on the lowest setting and slow enough to just keep the air circulating.ย  Perhaps not the price bracket you want.

ย 

Mitsubishi Ceiling Fan With Sleep Mode And Rhythm Mode (Natural Wind ...

Depends on ceiling height, i decided it was too big

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

I settled on this Xiaomi one. Look like pretty good reviews re gentle speed, low noise and easy to clean. DC inverter which means you have very low and overall good speed control and torque. Basically an aircon fan but a lot easier to clean. Take off the back panel and the whole rotary turbine thing comes out to pressure wash outside. Got a pretty good deal too with Lazada coupons for 1600 baht delivered. Should be the ticket hopefully ๐Ÿ™‚ย Thanks all for the advice

ย 

ย 

Let us know if it works well

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, patman30 said:

undervolt the fan
you could do as others suggest

another option (same same but different)
use a 12vdc fan like this one
https://www.lazada.co.th/products/nnc-12-15-fan-12voltt-18w-16-bfe-40-dc-12-i4096882497

with an adjustable dc power supply, which there are many to choose from
like this one for 90 baht

i do similar on PCs with standard 120mm case fans
if no controller but i want the fans to run at low speed
i simply switch the molex connector around and force it in
so the 12v fans are powered by 5v

You cant run an AC fan on DC can you? And I wouldn't use a DC rated controller to control the voltage either

• Confused 1

Kenny,ย  I use a 9 watt fan near my desk and it does the job.ย  Costs nothing to run and was only 160 baht.ย  ย Low-medium speed,ย  even ok for sleeping 2m away.ย 

ย 

I run it 24/7 ....

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

27 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Kenny,ย  I use a 9 watt fan near my desk and it does the job.ย  Costs nothing to run and was only 160 baht.ย  ย Low-medium speed,ย  even ok for sleeping 2m away.ย 

ย 

I run it 24/7 ....

ย 

fan.PNG.59222ddcb31739020f3732ebabed7e0e.PNG

ย 

Edited by steven100

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Just get yourself a .....

ย 

PUNKAH PUNKAH Man.....

ย 

image.png.de1283f034c2defc652d14d8e4c09645.png

ย 

ย 

What is a Punkah Wallah?

ย 

ย 

image.png.198c6d363cd3bc545a48f935b4831305.png

ย 

Sometimes, when it gets too hot.....

ย 

I send a wire to India....to find a Punkah Wallah to come here to Chiang Mai, in order to fan me.

ย 

I suggest the same for you.

ย 

When it's really HOT here in Thailand, ....

ย 

A good Punkah Wallah can make all the difference.

ย 

You can also talk to them, free of charge, if you have a credit card, and call the Credit Card Service Center numbers.....because....

ย 

This is the best way to find a Punkah Wallah, in India, without even trying....

ย 

I have called them MANY TIMES....

ย 

English....NOT TOO GOOD.....

ย 

And, they NEVER ADMIT IT.....

ย 

But, they are GREAT at fanning....

ย 

Try it....!

ย 

image.jpeg.1f59a405ac4ad845c43c88a41d1c67e4.jpegimage.jpeg.1f59a405ac4ad845c43c88a41d1c67e4.jpeg

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

3 minutes ago, patman30 said:

as i first stated "do as others suggest"
undervolt your current fans with a volt adjuster

i received that poor advice before, probably on AN, i tried a volt adjuster which was a big fail, no one mentioned the additional noise you get which is useless at night

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i received that poor advice before, probably on AN, i tried a volt adjuster which was a big fail, no one mentioned the additional noise you get which is useless at night

i have never used one with AC, personally i would not be keen on using a cheap AC volt adjuster either
which is why i suggested a 12VDC fan, it would likely have a much lower setting right out of the box and be designed to run slower
(similar to how the tower the OP has decided on is also DC)
and using 12VDC, it would only need slight undervoltage for a noticeable decrease in speed
which would likely be low anyway on low setting

maybe i will but that fan just to find out what they are like and use as portable
i do have milwaukee 18V portable fan but that is a bit noisy, but it is not built to be quiet but does its job well

The IRIS Woozoo PCF-SC15T is a brilliant, smaller fan with 5 speeds. I doubt the lowest setting will bother you and let it oscillate. Sorry, it's only 6" but pushes a lot of air for its size, and it's cheap on Lazada.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jmccarty said:

The IRIS Woozoo PCF-SC15T is a brilliant, smaller fan with 5 speeds. I doubt the lowest setting will bother you and let it oscillate. Sorry, it's only 6" but pushes a lot of air for its size, and it's cheap on Lazada.

You have a link for that? can't see it on Lazada.

ย 

Edit: found itย 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.qm9kH

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

There must be something for people sleeping I would have thought (apart from a 30k Dyson). I see some of these tower fans look ok but the reviews mostly in Thai. The long thin upright ones. Only concern I would have about these apart from if you can have a slow speed is they look like an air con style rotary fan and wonder how easy they would be to dismantle and clean the blades

I bought a cheap, B400 tower stand from Lazada for a temporary situation.ย  Very flimsy but the "Low" fan speed is actually comfortably low and quiet, nice for sleeping.ย  No longer "temporary"

ย 

While on fan topic.ย  My bathroom has no fan nor an outlet for a stand fan and can get uncomfortably hot.ย  I bought a couple of small 6" USB fans and power them each with 10,000 mAh power banks.ย  Makes a big difference circulating the air and the battery charge lasts for about 3 weeks as long as I don't forget to turn them off when I leave.

Edited by dddave

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sure? my ceiling fan seems more powerful than floor and desk fans

I'm an electrician used to live in North QLD spent a few years installing ceiling fans. On low speed they are definitely slower than a pedestal fan but move larger volumes. IMO the best fan for a room or patio. If I wasn't renting the place I would definitely install them. Other upside they are cheap as chips

38 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I'm an electrician used to live in North QLD spent a few years installing ceiling fans. On low speed they are definitely slower than a pedestal fan but move larger volumes. IMO the best fan for a room or patio. If I wasn't renting the place I would definitely install them. Other upside they are cheap as chips

You are talking about those very large big blades fans i guess? i have a ceiling fan like pedestal fan that rotates