7-Eleven Introduces Convenient PromptPay QR Code Payments Nationwide

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I doubt Wise have the functionality?

Curiously it was there in the app some months ago, you had to swipe left on the cards page - "pay like a local" it said.  It never worked as far as I know and it's been gone for some time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gobbler said:

I have 2 banking apps. I pay all my bills directly from my bank app? Why do I need to walk to 7/11 and pay them? 

Someone help with this one. 

Still pay the bills with the apps but you can scan a QR code to buy a beer or whatever. This is how I usually pay now in Thailand.  News to me that 7-Eleven is only now doing it.

9 minutes ago, Kinok Farang said:

You've obviously never stood behind anyone using this system at Big C etc.Takes 3 or 4 times longer.Remember all the people are different individuals,some smart,others piiss stone dumb.

But the same is true of cash users.  I can't count the times I got behind some lady digging into the bottom of her purse to look for some coins to pay the exact amount instead of forking over a 100 baht note and getting some change back.

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Do you have a safe at home or keep the money under your mattress?

Nah ... there's rarely more than a couple 100 thousand baht on hand.  More than 200, and it's a pain to carry in my little bag, w/PP/license/wallet & such.  

Since at the bank the other day, for Imm, made a withdrawal, and now have about 200k COH.   Won't need to make another withdrawal for 3 or 4 months, and that will go directly into the play account, as wife has that account at BBL also.

I tend not to lose things, so not much of an issue, security wise.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

English is the International Language of Business catchup Thailand !!! 555555

And in English we use THEIR for the posessive article!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

I don't think that the poster was talking about ATMs either.

I think that he was using ATM as the widely accepted text messaging acronym for 'At the moment'.

No I was talking about ATMs. I always sigh when there are the oldies (I'm not young myself) at all the machines. A lot of them just take forever. They don't have the necessary skills. I actually had an old woman ask me to key in an amount for her. She was obviously innumerate. Fortunately I understand enough Thai to know what she was asking me to do for her.  

30 minutes ago, Seppius said:

BigC and Lotus I just tap my K-Bank debit card on the terminal and it's done

And????? Does everyone do this or do some perhaps take forever going through their phone to find the app?

12 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

No I was talking about ATMs. I always sigh when there are the oldies (I'm not young myself) at all the machines. A lot of them just take forever. They don't have the necessary skills. I actually had an old woman ask me to key in an amount for her. She was obviously innumerate. Fortunately I understand enough Thai to know what she was asking me to do for her.  

OK, I stand corrected.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Great, thanks for sharing that, I don't know what we would have done if we didn't know.

I'm always there for anybody needing help, it's they way I am, all I ask for is a smile now and then to brighten up my day as I have brightened yours.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Open your bank app and select the "My QR" option.
Enter the amount to be paid.
Show the QR code to the cashier for scanning.
Complete your purchase with PromptPay.

Backwards.

The QR Code should come up on the cash register screen.

Scan.

Confirm.

Finished.

But no, we have to open up a QR Code on our phone, manually enter the exact amount, then present the screen to them to scan.

Backwards.

• Agree 1

it happens you are right that sometimes the banking app doesn't work. in my case, I step aside or pay cash if I have enough. but to be honest it's one out of hundred times. the other 99 times I am faster than some of the posters here trying to pay a 36.55 item with  a 1000 note and waiting for the cashier to compute and check and re-check the change,

Personally I always avoided 7-11 because I hate small coins back. Maybe I'll finally shop there too.

58 minutes ago, impulse said:

But the same is true of cash users.  I can't count the times I got behind some lady digging into the bottom of her purse to look for some coins to pay the exact amount instead of forking over a 100 baht note and getting some change back.

So true.I forgot to mention that.

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I'm cash guy at 7-11, as best way to break 1000 baht note.   Needed for smaller vendors, as don't want to use up all the small notes paying with 1000 baht notes.

One less transaction in my bank account makes things easier at visa extension time.   My bank passbook usually has 12 or so deposits, and about 4 withdrawals for the whole year.

Keeps the paperwork down ... save a tree ... :cheesy:

I withdraw 20k a month as required but I change the 1k notes into 500s.

Is it possible to apply for membership now ? I tried several times and they told me foreigners could not!

Most of the app is not translated in English

I just tried again  and it seems it could be possible now but I get this error message :

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก

กรุณาลองใหม่อีกครั้ง

ตกลง

which means, translated by Google  :

Sorry for the inconvenience

Please try again

OK 

1 hour ago, impulse said:

My old lady is that lady. 😄

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Great news. More time spent waiting for some idiot to get their phone out, scroll through their photos before releasing they need their bank app to scan, couple of minutes to remember their login code and another couple of minutes to work out how to scan. Sometimes it takes way too long as it is. Seven 711 workers in the shop with one serving customers. The other 6 are either stacking shelves, getting home deliveries organised or making drinks.

p.s. It will come in handy though; sometimes.

It can be the same with any payment method if people aren't prepared with the payment in advance. Fishing for the wallet, finding the right notes and coins, or looking for the cc. However with cc and scanning the cashier doesn't have to count and recount the money, doesn't have to count and recount the change, and the customer doesn't have to count the change and then look for the wallet to put it in.

• Agree 1

Cash is much quicker and easier than this QR crap.

I used to use it a lot but got tired of the long process and the ridiculous need for staff to take a picture of my phone with my full name included.

2 notes - yeh 7/11 won't be taking photos of your phone and I think the speed of the process largely depends on how many layers of security you have on top of this. For me it is:

Fingerprint/password to unlock the device.

Fingerprint/password to access an area of hidden apps.

Fingerprint/password to access banking app.

Fingerprint/password to access the banking part of the banking app.

I am sure there are people who roll with no security whatsoever except maybe the 1 password to access the banking app.

I don't often shop at Tesco but I notice there is often some granny or someone fumbling with QR holding up the queues there.

It's nice to have this as an option but I think it will slow things down ultimately.

This is without even taking into account the possible implications of society's declining use of real money.

22 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

Cash is much quicker and easier than this QR crap.

I used to use it a lot but got tired of the long process and the ridiculous need for staff to take a picture of my phone with my full name included.

2 notes - yeh 7/11 won't be taking photos of your phone and I think the speed of the process largely depends on how many layers of security you have on top of this. For me it is:

I am sure there are people who roll with no security whatsoever except maybe the 1 password to access the banking app.

I don't often shop at Tesco but I notice there is often some granny or someone fumbling with QR holding up the queues there.

It's nice to have this as an option but I think it will slow things down ultimately.

Quite an over egged reaction.

I find paying by QR code much quicker than getting cash out of my wallet and waiting for change.

Some people are slow to use the App... I have the App open and standing by ready to pay as soon as the QR code pops up.

Even better would be RFID payment such as Apple Pay or Google Wallet - a simple tap of a button on the phone and hold the phone over the 'point of sale' machine (or whatever its a called) and the transaction takes a second.

But to counter your comment above - consider the following steps:

>> Take walled out of Pocket

>> Take bank note out of wallet

>> handover bank note

>> await change

We can add as many written steps as we wish to suit our agenda when presenting our opinion in such discussions.

Face scan - superseding the fingerprint makes things quicker too.

Personally - I find PromptPay much faster than paying with cash and always have.

22 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

This is without even taking into account the possible implications of society's declining use of real money.

This I agree with 100%  - we should never lose the option to pay with cash. 

This is the 'only' strong argument I have read of that counters the efficency of using digital payment methods.

We've been using credit / bank cards for 'tap and go' for years now, using our phones is no different. 

BUT... I don't want to lose cash - cash must always be an available option and I don't want to shop at places that are cashless.

1 hour ago, Cabradelmar said:

Love PromptPay. Use it for nearly every purchase (whenever possible). Fast, easy, convenient. What's not to like?

I think the advantage of these payment methods is that they are 'free'... i.e. not like a credit card were the money is devalued with each use.

i.e.  Pay 1000 Baht - and 3% is bank charges...  that 1000 baht is now worth 970 baht and so on..

After approximately 23 cycles the value of that cash is halved, or rather the banks have made 50%