Man Bitten by Snake During Night Hike, Uses Folk Medicine to Survive

IMG_6131.jpeg

A man recently shared a harrowing experience on TikTok, after being bitten by a snake during a nighttime hike in the mountains, sparking widespread debate online. The man, identified as TikTok user @arunsrisuwan512, posted a video describing his ordeal after being bitten by a venomous green pit viper while searching for fish in the Banthat mountain range, Phatthalung.

The video, which he called his "final clip from the trip," shows him using traditional survival methods passed down through his family to address the snake bite. The man explained that the snake bit him on his foot, causing immediate swelling. In response, he tied a vine-like plant above the bite and applied herbal remedies to the area. He also took painkillers to alleviate joint and leg pain, with the goal of making it down the mountain and getting to a hospital.

In the clip, the man describes his injury: “The snake bit me on the back of my foot. The inner sole hasn’t swollen yet, but the outer side has. I used an herbal vine to tie around my ankle, applied some green oil, and took painkillers to reduce the pain. I just need to walk home first, then I’ll head to the hospital.” 

He recounted that the incident occurred after he had finished setting up fishing traps and was preparing for the next activity when the snake struck. He was later treated at the hospital for seven days before being discharged to recover at home.

Once the video went viral, many netizens voiced their concerns, with some warning against his use of a tight vine around the ankle, a traditional remedy for snake bites. Commenters advised that this method can worsen the injury, increasing the risk of severe tissue damage. Several users suggested immobilising the bitten area instead of tying it off to prevent further harm.

One commenter shared a personal story: “Tying the area is outdated and dangerous knowledge. My younger sibling was once bitten by a cobra. What made it worse was the necrosis caused by tying the leg, leading to surgery to remove dead tissue and replace it with healthy tissue from the thigh. It was a painful experience, especially for a five-year-old child.”

The man who posted the video is known to be a descendant of a family of traditional healers, specializing in snake bite treatments passed down through generations. His grandmother is the fourth-generation practitioner, and it appears that the fifth generation of this knowledge will be inherited by him.

Picture taken from TikTok video below.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-29

news-footer-2.png

image.png