Just try using a credit/debit card in any shop in Thailand.  "No like, No want"  is the usual response, followed by over-charging to cover the car company's fee.  

Thailand is a "cash only"  economy.  It suits the numerous criminals who live here, and supports tax evasion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

agree, but over the past year I have noticed in Robinson's Mall Latkrabang that some stores/restaurants say "no cash" ( in Thai but I understand it)  I only use cash, while my wife and daughter seldom do!   Anyway I ask if I can pay in cash only - 90% say yes others say they can't accept cash.  If not, then I move on to someplace else - wife just smiles.  I note from the PI forum that cash is king there.  They recommend for visitors to immediately upon arrival at airport change money into local pesos as most shops except for big malls

don't accept foreign charge cards.

• Like 2

I usually 1st try to pay by Thai credit card (gives points), unless they have a 3% charge. My Thai wife always asks before I pay, asking if they have an extra small charge for credit card payment.

If they have a 3% charge for credit card use, then I will typically pay by bank transfer from a Thai bank account of mine.

And if my small bank (currency) notes is getting low (ie I have none or very few 20-baht or 50 baht notes) I will pay by cash with a 1,000 baht note, so to get smaller notes as change in return.    I like to use the smaller notes for tips, as I prefer to give tips in cash (as opposed to adding to bank transfer or credit card).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robin said:

Just try using a credit/debit card in any shop in Thailand.  "No like, No want"  is the usual response, followed by over-charging to cover the car company's fee.  

Thailand is a "cash only"  economy.  It suits the numerous criminals who live here, and supports tax evasion.

But it is the Government (in fact most governments) that want to create a cashless society, as (a) it gives far more control over it's citizens, and (b) it can see where all the money goes, and tax it, confiscate it, or take away your right to spend it how you please.

• Agree 1

Virtually everything I pay with my phone and banking app , only things I pay using other methods are 

1) Gasoline - Card

2) 7/11 - Cash

3) Utilities (Electricity , Internet ..) - Direct Debit

• Like 1

I am about 80% cashless now.  Year by year my vendors require cashless.

Even though my condo has an office with staff they will not accept cash for fees and utilities anymore.

My airplane vendor charged me $200 because my bags were overweight on the last overseas trip.  Cash denied.  They only accepted credit cards.

While overseas I attended a ballgame concession stand ordering the $20 hotdogs and beers for a group of 5 and cash rejected.  Only cashless allowed.

The noose keeps tightening.

Over 50% of monthly expenditures paid by Bank App, Q code scan or transfers. We pull out 15 or 20 K, first of the month from the ATM. Ready baht in hand for local markets & whatnot. We are regular market shoppers, cash & carry.

Edited by Dcheech
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just about everything scan to pay with banking apps, big ticket items credit card, cash very seldom now. I only carry a few hundred baht in my pocket.

Edited by Stocky

I pay for everything by debit card by just tapping my phone. Supermarkets, 7-11, etc. Online purchases I also use debit card. It literally takes one second.

People using cash slow things down. Having to count bills and fumble through coins. I wish everyone would use the same tap-and-go contactless payment method. Fastest and most secure way to go. 

Only thing I still pay for in cash is short-time. 

2 hours ago, garygooner said:

Saw an article saying Thailand could be cashless by 2028. Don't believe this will happen so soon, but just interested in knowing how most people here pay for things nowadays. Shopping, taxis, apartment etc. Do you use debit cards, Promptpay etc? I personally still believe cash is king and we should always have options. 

Debit cards and a lot of QR codes as well as PromptPay and on rare occasions with the bank account. However, always walking with 10k baht, if something just pops up.

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

However, always walking with 10k baht, if something just pops up.

Like what? The ladyboy threesome offer (buy one get one) you just can't resist? Pops up and then pops off innit. 

• Confused 2

In most places I pay the way I want. 

If it's over maybe 2000B then mostly I pay with credit card.

Or i.e. a 20k payment with transfer on my phone.

Small amounts normally in cash.

The only really annoying place I know is starbugs. Even for one coffee, no cash. Annoying. Another reason to avoid that place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, garygooner said:

Do you use debit cards, Promptpay etc? I personally still believe cash is king and we should always have options. 

I pay for my 2lt milk at Tops with my credit card. 

I pay most things with cc, have been for years. 

24 minutes ago, RSD1 said:

Like what? The ladyboy threesome offer (buy one get one) you just can't resist? Pops up and then pops off innit. 

What the f-k is wrong with you? Why would I have 10k baht in wallet for ladyboys of other sexual services? Are you basing that on your own preferences?

I was thinking, when you are out and maybe meet friends, and wish to go eat together, or goes in to a shop and see something you like to have in home. You know, what I think. If you really slow down you sexual frustration, and overflow of testosterones. Just maybe, you can also see outside the sex-tourists eyes. Or, just maybe, you are incapable of that. Anyway, I feel sorry for you, that such a comment was the first that hit your main frame.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I pay for my 2lt milk at Tops with my credit card. 

I pay most things with cc, have been for years. 

Yes, just make sure you keep a close accounting for your taxes if paying your bill with assessable income.

Cash, don't do/understand other ways and so it seems do many when in line at Lotus.

Don't have a CC and the only way to get one in Thailand is apparently by having a portion of your bank money blocked. 

Edited by bubblegum