Window Seat for Sleeping.

When flying overnight I always get a window seat, but on my recent flight on KLM there was a 6ins gap from the window to my seat which made it impossible to put my pillow near the window, I may just as well have been in the middle or aisle seat.

Are other airlines planes like this now, or is it just KLM.

This is a warning to anyone flying with KLM who may want a window seat for an overnight sleep.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

When flying overnight I always get a window seat, but on my recent flight on KLM there was a 6ins gap from the window to my seat which made it impossible to put my pillow near the window, I may just as well have been in the middle or aisle seat.

This is a warning to anyone flying with KLM who may want a window seat for an overnight sleep.

Just ask for an extra pillow, jam your backpack in there, or roll up your jacket. That's what I did. But you are right, it is a pain.

• Thumbs Up 2

When I flew frequently as an air courier I kept a pillowcase in my carry-on.  When encountering this situation, I'd stuff it with some of the clothes and jacket in my carry-on and stuff it into the gap.  Even better if I could score an unused blanket as a gap stuffer.

1 hour ago, dddave said:

When I flew frequently as an air courier I kept a pillowcase in my carry-on.  When encountering this situation, I'd stuff it with some of the clothes and jacket in my carry-on and stuff it into the gap.  Even better if I could score an unused blanket as a gap stuffer.

I never pic an window seat I can't sleep on planes 

Edited by still kicking
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

flight on KLM there was a 6ins gap from the window to my seat

Sounds like an emergency exit seat, I've read some airlines charge you extra. 

You should have spoken to the other passengers around you who had window seat and swapped. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Cheers from 2D 💤 💤 💤

IMG_1607.jpeg

I travelled A380 every month for a few years, it doesn’t get better. 

When you get tired of talking to the sexy bar tender, you go back to your seat.

I love that the Business class seats have a mini bar, top shelf drinks to choose from. I preferred the Grey Goose 😎

IMG_20241015_051624.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

it doesn’t get better. 

Actually, it does get better. It’s called Emirates FIRST Class. 

I joined the Mile High Club in a hot shower @ 35,000 feet 🏆 

Black Caviar served-up soon after. 

IMG_1609.jpeg

IMG_1610.jpeg

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Same experience on Qatar Airways, plus about 4 inches of leg space was obstructed by the seat in front. From my observation, the middle seat was the most comfortable seat on that particular airplane. 

• Like 1

Flying back to Texas next month with my daughter and only hope  we can get lucky and have  one seat empty for the 11 hour from Tokyo to the US. Rare even more is when I fly myself and two seats are empty so I can stretch out and sleep. Not much else you can do as watching three movies doesn't take up 11 hours.

56 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Actually, it does get better. It’s called Emirates FIRST Class. 

I joined the Mile High Club in a hot shower @ 35,000 feet 🏆 

Black Caviar served-up soon after. 

IMG_1609.jpeg

IMG_1610.jpeg

Sadly, my company would never send me first class. 

For me, a mere peasant 😞, business class was my top level. 

Do you have any photos of the first class bar?

I only got to see the Emirates A380 business class bar. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

Just now, SAFETY FIRST said:

Sadly, my company would never send me first class. 

For me, a mere peasant 😞, business class was my top level. 

Don’t feel bad because us first class passengers on the Em380s need to share (your pictured) walk-up bar with you guys. Always a delight having a drink, or 6, with them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I love that the Business class seats have a mini bar, top shelf drinks to choose from. I preferred the Grey Goose 😎

IMG_20241015_051624.jpg

A sniper's dream ( thanks to Bob Mortimer).

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Sounds like an emergency exit seat, I've read some airlines charge you extra. 

You should have spoken to the other passengers around you who had window seat and swapped. 

No, it was not an emergency exit seat, and yes I paid extra for it, it was the last row of seats on the plane and only two seats, on the outward journey which was through the day I had the aisle seat and I asked the passenger next to me at the window seat if she paid extra for it, she said she never booked her seat at all.

I booked the window seat on the inward journey as it was a night flight and I wanted a seat and paid extra.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Just do what I do and get a business class ticket.  No hassle and you don't have to sit next to a fat smelly guy or worse .. a baby ... imagine that for 10 hours. :shock1: 

I have never had any fat smelly people or babies next to me in 20 years of regularly flying between here and the UK. Besides business class is way out of my budget.

Edited by NoshowJones
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Being, "vertically challenged" I always took a window seat. Quite correct about when facing the window/seat gap. What I did was use a blow-up neck pillow (so no packing issue) to supplement the supplied pillow.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

IMG_20241015_051624.jpg

Wish JAL had the 380’s with business class bar.

Only 787’s with individual compartments and lie flat seats.

IMG_3095.jpeg

I know what you're talking about. I book window seats too, in order to be able to sleep (at the cost of it being a hassle to go to the john). It is then infuriating to find a stupid gap wherethrough your pillow will slip 2 hours into your night's sleep.

Before you book a seat you may want to take a look at seat guru websites. They have seat maps for each particular flight. They may have warnings about "bad seats", without specifying the cause (gaps, seat non reclinable etc.).

Of course if the airline switches planes at the last minute it will all have been to no avail. You may find yourself having wasted money on a seat for nothing.

Not so long ago I had another mishap with a window seat: cold, coming from the window side. It would've taken a padded jacket and triple pairs of trousers to feel in any way comfortable. If that happens again I'll reconsider booking window seats at all.

I get the same seat, 63E, same flight, every time.

Aisle seat in a middle row of four.....only one person to disturb you......bulkhead behind, as I have yet see anyone competent enough to stand up without swing on the back of the chair in front.

32 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Wish JAL had the 380’s with business class bar.

Only 787’s with individual compartments and lie flat seats.

IMG_3095.jpeg

Emirates, best airline on the planet. 

The upper deck only 1st and business class, 2 bars, one at the front one at the back 

I had to go Houston urgently a few years back. 

My employer bought the tickets, Bangkok, Narita, Houston.

The flight was full, from Narita to Huston, no business class. I'm in economy, International flight, I was surprised I had to pay for a beer (I order 4 at a time on the credit card).I heard you got to pay for alcohol on all economy international flights into the USA. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST