Phuket taxi driver hits foreign man on airport zebra crossing

snoop1130

Sadly that's gon a be so biased against you,  but maybe not depends on how your luck is it maybe 80 % against though , hitting a thai is highly probable a motor cyclists forget to turn off indicator,  I've.been a driver for 45 years cars bikes motorcycle vans pcv etc so I always use my common sence , 

1 hour ago, Judum said:

Feel very sorry for the pedestrian involved and driver should be jailed without a doubt and pay compensation for the man's emotional loss and pain , I'm a driver myself and like to remind citizens that you cross the road when the vehicle stops for you,  otherwise this happens pedestrians have right of way when on the crossing, in uk some crazy laws came about where citizens think they are superman or woman forcing drivers to stop even buses they need to be educated pedestrians need to be educated again or should not be so disrespectful by forcing drivers to stop 

In developed countries pedestrians have the right of way.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pedestrian crossings need to be marked better with Belisha beacons (Orange flashing globes) and zig zag markings prohibiting overtaking on the approach side and parking within them, as songtaews often park right on the crossing.

As someone pointed out above in Canada, UK, Japan etc there is an absolute duty for drivers to stop as soon as a pedestrian sets foot on the crossing, but here they are ignored.

Yesterday I crossed in Bangkok, waving my umbrella to stop the traffic at the crossing, which did, except for the first Fortuner driver (expected) and the Thais behind me were amazed. 

This should be normal, not exceptional , then children, old people like me and visitors could cross in safety. This requires education and enforcement, both sadly lacking here.

• Agree 1

Just now, Classic Ray said:

Pedestrian crossings need to be marked better with Belisha beacons (Orange flashing globes) and zig zag markings prohibiting overtaking on the approach side and parking within them, as songtaews often park right on the crossing.

As someone pointed out above in Canada, UK, Japan etc there is an absolute duty for drivers to stop as soon as a pedestrian sets foot on the crossing, but here they are ignored.

Yesterday I crossed in Bangkok, waving my umbrella to stop the traffic at the crossing, which did, except for the first Fortuner driver (expected) and the Thais behind me were amazed. 

This should be normal, not exceptional , then children, old people like me and visitors could cross in safety. This requires education and enforcement, both sadly lacking here.

Having recently suffered several hours of driver training and the driving theory test training I can assure you that at least the education part is firmly on the side of the pedestrian.  Whether at the crossing waiting to cross or actually on the crossing the correct answer in both cases is STOP.  Of course as enforcement is non-existent even the educated will know which rules they can ignore.

11 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Above is the reaction from citizens of the country! Still they can´t fix the problem. Totally useless authorities and leaders in this country.

That's harsh can't be worse then uk leader flooding illegal people housing them feeding them etc etc then jailing Britain's citizens for speaking up , oh and taking away oap heating rebates , na useless is not because they have not applied traffic cameras etc they are sitting on so much profits someone surly will take the lead useless no to be improved vastly yes,  if you was talking about uk your comments would be 1000% spot on 

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Can someone please tell me ............

did the pedestrian rush out when traffic was flowing  ?

did the taxi rush through and didn't see him on the crossing  ?

Thorough journalism would of answered that in story but sometimes need to post story and worry about speculation 0 % 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Judum said:

That's harsh can't be worse then uk leader flooding illegal people housing them feeding them etc etc then jailing Britain's citizens for speaking up , oh and taking away oap heating rebates , na useless is not because they have not applied traffic cameras etc they are sitting on so much profits someone surly will take the lead useless no to be improved vastly yes,  if you was talking about uk your comments would be 1000% spot on 

It's not ABOUT the UK for gods sake .....   IT'S about Thailand   !!!!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

There's a Zebra Crossing outside the entrance to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital in Pattaya. I go there every 10 days to get treatment for a knee condition so I use a walking stick. Cars don't even stop for someone like me to get across. I now deliberately stick out my walking stick so if they continue they will hit it and hopefully do some damage. If they hit me at least I'm in the right place to get instant treatment.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Judum said:

Maybe maybe not I did mention about England so maybe you a clue but had the pedestrian waited for the vehicle to stop it would of meant a lot of pain involved not happening in the 1st place,  when ever I travel my common sence always comes with me 

In the UK if a pedestrian is stood waiting to cross, you must by law stop for them. In Thailand, you should cross anywhere BUT a zebra crossing, because even if someone stops for you, pound to a penny that another vehicle will ignore the light and pass him. 

1 hour ago, Judum said:

Feel very sorry for the pedestrian involved and driver should be jailed without a doubt and pay compensation for the man's emotional loss and pain , I'm a driver myself and like to remind citizens that you cross the road when the vehicle stops for you,  otherwise this happens pedestrians have right of way when on the crossing, in uk some crazy laws came about where citizens think they are superman or woman forcing drivers to stop even buses they need to be educated pedestrians need to be educated again or should not be so disrespectful by forcing drivers to stop 

I don't like these laws either. It puts the drivers on edge and gives people walking the idea you should just walk out into street at any moment and  you'll be safe 100% guaranteed but it's The Law the drivers must stop for you. Of course in the real world mistakes happen and now you're standing in the middle of the road and get hit and killed. Sure they broke the law but does it matter at this point?

It even annoys me when I'm walking that cars slow down when I get to the edge of the road because they're paranoid I may walk across without notice.  It was better to have a button you can press so the drivers are aware in advance.  Safer and less hassle for everyone involved.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

11 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Above is the reaction from citizens of the country! Still they can´t fix the problem. Totally useless authorities and leaders in this country.

"Leaders"!! They couldn't lead a horse to water.

2 hours ago, VBF said:

May I correct you.......

Pedestrian crossings on Phuket  in Thailand  are simply strange patterns painted across some roads.

Better? 😎🙄

Partly correct. As a disabled person living in BKK I can't cross streets that quickly and cars will often stop for me when they see me waiting at a pedestrian crossing. The trouble is, as I'm crossing the street on the pedestrian crossing, a motorcycle will zip between the stopped cars and miss me by inches even when I have my wits about me!

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Cynical, but very difficult to disagree. Pedestrian crossings on Phuket are simply strange patterns painted across some roads and serve no purpose other than to give the unwary a false sense of security - they do more harm than good!

Not only Phuket...COUNTRYWIDE. :coffee1:

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There must be a deterrent, there must be a reason for people to stop beyond courtesy, beyond respect, beyond doing it because it's the right thing to do. There has to be a threat of huge fines, or prison time, or confiscation of the vehicle. Somebody needs to step up and take charge and take care of this problem, or it will simply continue for decades into the future. 

I thought hitting someone was a criminal offense 🤔. Do they just say it was an accident?

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

Thai drivers do not know what a Zebra crossing is, because they are not taught the Highway Code as we are in the Real world.  They dont know what it is.  Same as a red light on a Zebra crossing.......to them its a pretty light that shines 2 colours, red and green.  Take into account also, the Me, me, me attitude of Thais in general.  No one else matters........dont get in my way....especially if you are walking or on 2 wheels.

Yes they do know what a zebra crossing is , they are so self centered that they don’t think of anyone else and they know how good/ bad the police are 

54 minutes ago, jesimps said:

In the UK if a pedestrian is stood waiting to cross, you must by law stop for them. In Thailand, you should cross anywhere BUT a zebra crossing, because even if someone stops for you, pound to a penny that another vehicle will ignore the light and pass him. 

Not by law but to be courteous yes 

3 hours ago, Judum said:

The whole system is messed up, just by painting a few lines down, can’t make people stop. It’s probably not true in this instance, but zebras have no place on a 6 lane major route to a city center. They are for low traffic / speed restricted areas, otherwise pelican crossings with control light should be used. These are also ignored.

I have experienced young people just walking out into the road, and expecting the drivers to stop - the right of way is not for the pedestrian. If the driver can stop in a safe manner, then they are obliged to, often here there is an idiot rider or driver sitting behind, the speeds on some roads do not allow for safe stopping.

When I was at school in the UK, we were taught how to use zebras, you don’t just walk out onto the crossing as I have seen local kids here do. 

This country needs a system of education and enforcement or nothing will change, however we should be careful what we wish for, does anyone want 5km/h speed limits in residential areas in Thailand. 

Highly likely the Taxi driver was fiddling with his phone & not watching the road.    I’ve been in a taxi where the guy had a phone in each hand & steering with his knees & cruise control on.    
I’ve had 5 accidents over the years ( mainly hit from behind) & phones usually the cause.    Their devices are virtually surgically attached & constantly played with. 
Hope that guy gets back on his feet & enjoys his stay. 

• Thumbs Up 1