Expats in Thailand urged not to worry about negative income tax

webfact

I don't worry about any of  this talk on taxing expats 

If it happens I am sure we will all be advised on what's required when we apply for our yearly visas ( retired  )

As already mentioned its light years away 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, kuzmabruk said:

Many of you are talking about the new tax laws, which have nothing to do with NIT.

But I thought I would share some Thai tax laws with you, for those who are planning to not file their tax return next March or fudge the numbers on their Thai tax return.  I am working with two of the largest tax accountants in Thailand (still undecided as to who will be my accountant) and they advise, file your tax return or possibly pay some large and painful penalties, as shown below.

1. Late Filing Penalty - 1,000 to 2,000 THB

2. Late Payment Penalty - penalty of 1.5% of unpaid taxes per month until paid - max 100%, possible for an additional penalty of up to 20% of the outstanding tax amount.

3. Failure to File Penalty - fine of up to 200% of the unpaid tax if it’s determined that the failure to file was intentional or involved fraud or evasion.

4. Additional Penalties - If they find that you have under-reported your income, they may impose penalties ranging from 100% to 200% of the unreported income.

5. Tax Evasion: Deliberate tax evasion or fraud can result in criminal charges, which may include imprisonment, fines, or both.

I am in contact with HMRC, they are going to get back to me regarding whether Thailand are allowed to tax my income from the UK

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

Nonsense and spin of what I wrote!

Adoption of negative income tax doesn't affect how much or how little tax I pay here, that's a totally separate issue. Don't adopt NIT and I pay X in Thai tax, adopt NIT and I still pay X in Thai tax.

This is not what I read on your graph, in the years 2022 and 2023 purchases are stable and the forecasts in 25 would be the fear of being invaded makes the Taiwanese invest in Thailand but these are only forecasts nothing concrete.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Again wasted time for a useless rubbish and misleading headline. Some human intelligence would do good.

The above article is one of the Worst Stupid/Meaningless ones I have ever read.

Just don't understand What The Editor Wrote It For.

That writer raised the Nonsense to the Art Form.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Bravoxray said:

https://fintechnews.sg/97066/digitalassets/bank-of-thailand-to-test-programmable-payments-in-enhanced-sandbox/

What is more likely to happen is that the Central Bank will implement their programmable Central bank Digital Currency (CBDC) and once that is done the controllers will be able to do as they please with our money. There needs to be a law that bans the Central Bank from even offering a CBDC in any form to individuals. And for those who think that they do nothing to be punished, they should ask themselves what happens if a not very friendly government takes power? Maybe expats will be exempted, but the goal of the globalists is a single world programmable digital currency from which no one will be exempt if they get their way. A one world programmable CBDC linked to digital IDs and ESG behavioral scoring spell slavery, no privacy at all and no freedom.  

More conspiracy propaganda. The only country conducting behavioral scoring is China. Their type of govt is the only model that will support that in the near future.

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

I don't worry about any of  this talk on taxing expats 

If it happens I am sure we will all be advised on what's required when we apply for our yearly visas ( retired  )

As already mentioned its light years away 

I will do my next  90 day report in early January, 2025.

Then I will check out things & find out With or Without Any New Requirement for visa extension(e.g. Retirement O).

And I will post in in this Forum.

45 minutes ago, newnative said:

Yet another totally misleading and inaccurate headline designed, I imagine, solely to get AN readers to click on this time-wasting, utterly irrelevant article.  

A clickbait at its dumbest.

Edited by black tabby12345
  • Sad 1

Expats and Thais are already required to file tax returns, if they receive annual earned income over THB 120,000 in Thailand or remitted to Thailand or passive income remitted from overseas or arising from Thailand over THB 60,000.  The penalty for not filing a tax return is THB 2,000. NIT will make no difference to this.

Millions of Thais ignore the requirement to file tax returns and probably most low income Thais below the tax paying threshold are totally unaware of the requirement and/or have no idea how to file.  The idea of NIT would be to provide an incentive to file in the form of means tested welfare payments. The government believes this will increase its taxpayer base over time, as some recipients of NIT will eventually earn enough to pay tax and will find themselves stuck in the tax net as a result of having claimed NIT benefits in the past.

The idea comes from the bureaucracy and was promoted by the Prayut government as well as the current Thaksin government which shows how lazy and bereft of ideas politicians are, as they just take up bad ideas from the bureaucracy and make no difference themselves. May as well save the cost of elections and allow unelected corrupt bureaucrats to govern in place of elected corrupt politicians.  Means tested welfare is not a great idea because leaves out millions who can’t get into the system. In particular means tested welfare that only pays to people in employment is ridiculous because it excludes people unable to work or unable to find work. The Prayut government as one of its parting shots eliminated the non-means tested old age allowance of THB 600 a month for over 60s introduced by the Abhisit government, although those already in receipt are grandfathered in. The Thaksin government hasn’t bothered to reinstate the allowance.

Essentially it is obvious that an attempt to raise more tax disguised as a welfare scheme for employed citizens only is doomed to failure both as a means to raise more tax and as a fake welfare scheme. It is pathetic that the last two governments have taken this seriously.

Edited by Dogmatix

15 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Expats and Thais are already required to file tax returns, if they receive annual earned income over THB 120,000 in Thailand or remitted to Thailand or passive income remitted from overseas or arising from Thailand over THB 60,000.  The penalty for not filing a tax return is THB 2,000. NIT will make no difference to this.

Millions of Thais ignore the requirement to file tax returns and probably most low income Thais below the tax paying threshold are totally unaware of the requirement and/or have no idea how to file.  The idea of NIT would be to provide an incentive to file in the form of means tested welfare payments. The government believes this will increase its taxpayer base over time, as some recipients of NIT will eventually earn enough to pay tax and will find themselves stuck in the tax net as a result of having claimed NIT benefits in the past.

The idea comes from the bureaucracy and was promoted by the Prayut government as well as the current Thaksin government which shows how lazy and bereft of ideas politicians are, as they just take up bad ideas from the bureaucracy and make no difference themselves. May as well save the cost of elections and allow unelected corrupt bureaucrats to govern in place of elected corrupt politicians.  Means tested welfare is not a great idea because leaves out millions who can’t get into the system. In particular means tested welfare that only pays to people in employment is ridiculous because it excludes people unable to work or unable to find work. The Prayut government as one of its parting shots eliminated the non-means tested old age allowance of THB 600 a month for over 60s introduced by the Abhisit government, although those already in receipt are grandfathered in. The Thaksin government hasn’t bothered to reinstate the allowance.

Essentially it is obvious that an attempt to raise more tax disguised as a welfare scheme for employed citizens only is doomed to failure both as a means to raise more tax and as a fake welfare scheme. It is pathetic that the last two governments have taken this seriously.

Well, in order to spend, they need to tax people more first. It's the Progressive Liberal thing to do, rob Peter to pay Paul.

Edited by lordgrinz

32 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I have a Tax id number in Thailand. For more years than I can remember I have claimed back my tax on my bank books, not a a dickie bird has been said to me in the Thai tax office 

5 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

It would be for all tax residents. Which most expats are.. 

Get ready for next years tax filings. 

Did you comprehend the part in discussion. This has been floating over a year now and it is still in discussion.

What is in discussion still is how to repair a simple pothole, how to fix traffic declare by former PM he could Bangkok in a month, how to address traffic deaths in Thailand :cheesy: for me twenty years.

Relax residents you give them too much credit it is wait and see so far there hasnt been a discussion. :crazy: