Fresh Push to Send Thaksin Back to Jail Intensifies

webfact

2 hours ago, Dr B said:

Just to get the facts straight, from what I have read about this since his return, he has never received a Royal pardon. His sentence was commuted from 8 years to 1 year, which is not the same thing, although the "journalists" employed by AN and Thaiger, as well as many on this forum, do not seem to understand the difference.

Yes..... that bit is as clear as mud.

Chances of him being sent to jail - zero.

Chances of him being sentenced to a jail term and then suddenly developing another "illness" that requires special treatment in a private VIP hospital suite until he's eligible for parole (again) - probably as close to a sure thing as you can get.

He's still facing a Lese Majesty trial as well though I suspect the brown envelopes are flying around thick and fast to make sure the outcome of that is "favourable" to him as well.

Could have settle this once and for all the first time he fled the country by having him arrested and returned while he was still in China. China cares a lot more about getting Thailand under it's thumb than it does about another corrupt former leader.

Then again, they can't even get a guy arrested who killed a cop in a drunken hit and run so they probably had less chance of getting Thaksin back, even from the UK where it seems owning a "footie club" makes you almost as untouchable as being (English) royalty.

15 hours ago, Muhendis said:

He's not too rich to be jailed, but he has supporters in extremely high places who control what happens with or without legal shenanigans.

False. Name just one centi millionaire or billionaire who has been jailed in Thailand. Bet you can't. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Red Forever said:

Phew. Just when the Thaksin obsessives were close to starving they're thrown this lump of red meat.

The Mr T hate mob must have a blind spot which prevents them from seeing that he (Mr T) has been granted a Royal Pardon.

The Royal Pardon I believe commuted Thaksin's Sentence to 12 months to be served in Prison. As Thaksin did not serve a single day in Prison he is in breech of the terms of his Pardon and an affront to 112 and should be hoiked off to serve 12 months actually in Prison

• Agree 1

On 10/21/2024 at 2:48 PM, Spock said:

Yes please.  End it.  Jail him.

Won't happen.  He will just put on a neck brace and say he got the sniffles again and ABRACADA!  Released and pardoned for 'medical' reasons.

Edited by shdmn
  • Agree 1

On 10/22/2024 at 3:08 AM, webfact said:

Charnchai is appealing to Thailand's Supreme Court to rule retroactively, asserting that Thaksin had utilised his influence to evade jail, a move that is "categorically against the law."

If true, then why has it taken so long for someone to use this law to re-incarcerate Thaksin? 

On 10/22/2024 at 3:08 AM, webfact said:

he crux of the matter lies in whether the Corrections Department legally transferred Thaksin to the hospital. Normally, such a transfer would necessitate prior approval from the Criminal Court, something that allegedly did not occur in this case, regardless of Thaksin's reported "critical illness."

The corrections department had no authority to move Thaksin to a hospital without the Criminal courts approval but none was sought. Surely they know about this law. 

Given Thaksin being the voice of his daughter now and making political decisions for her. I am most certain he will never return to prison. Worse case scenario he will flee again and run Thailand from another country through his daughter. 

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

False. Name just one centi millionaire or billionaire who has been jailed in Thailand. Bet you can't. 

There was that Ital-Thai guy some years ago jailed for poaching. He was wealthy, but you're right. I can't remember his name.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

There was that Ital-Thai guy some years ago jailed for poaching. He was wealthy, but you're right. I can't remember his name.

Construction tycoon Premchai Karnasuta was released from prison, seven weeks before the end of his sentence  ...

The former head of Italian-Thai Development Plc had been serving time in Thong Pha Phum prison in Kanchanaburi for hunting wildlife — including killing a rare black panther — in Thungyai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary in 2018.

The Department of Corrections said Premchai, 69, qualified for early release because he was suffering from diabetes.

1 hour ago, motdaeng said:

Construction tycoon Premchai Karnasuta was released from prison, seven weeks before the end of his sentence  ...

Many thanks. His name reminded me of the Kama Sutra (the book of love pleasures)

1 hour ago, motdaeng said:

The Department of Corrections said Premchai, 69, qualified for early release because he was suffering from diabetes.

Yeah!

If I remember correctly he was grossly overweight so prison may have done him some good.

Same could not be said about skinny old Taksin.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/22/2024 at 5:19 AM, The Old Bull said:

They always go after past crooks but not present ones. Who cares about Thaksin, what about that lot that stole the government from the majority of the Thai electorate.

You thinkThaksin had nothing to do with that do you?? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

My question is. How can anyone in Thailand go against a Royal Pardon?

Are there any Thais on this forum that can answer this question?

Just wondering.

His Royal pardon reduced his sentence from ten years

imprisonment to one year in jail. 

He failed to serve onr year in prison

• Thumbs Up 2