Thailand raises retirement age to 65 for all sectors

webfact

Thailand raises retirement age to 65 for all sectors

That's great, people has to wait a few years more until they can get the measley pension of 600 baht/ month.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Additionally, the ministry plans to amend the Social Security Act to include approximately two million migrant workers from Myanmar, Laos, and Cambodia in the social security benefit scheme.

And this dosn't help The tahi people, but it'll help them to build houses, because Thais are too lazy for manual labour.bankrupsy

Bankruptcy is near.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, watchcat said:

The  government is surely in problem, want to adjust the pension age to 65 for the measly pay of 600 baht/month. Just confess, the country is in deep trouble, and comparing the country with Singapore and Switzerland is a joke.

Yes, and?  600baht/ month doesn't help.

600 BAHT is old age payment, not retirement payment which comes from social security. 

42 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Moving the goal posts ... 5 yrs is a big jump.

A bit irrelevant, as the average life expectancy of someone born 65 yrs ago is only ~54 years old :cheesy:

Born 60 yrs ago, and it's ~57 yrs old

I know many Thai villagers that lived into their 80s

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

600 BAHT is old age payment, not retirement payment which comes from social security. 

I know more than a few, that didn't make to 30 yrs old.  Wife's brother died at 21 yrs old.  One of 8 siblings, so brings the average life expectancy of the family down a bit.

It's an average life expectancy.

Posted before (off topic), but my life expectancy, born 1954 (USA) is 67 I think, and coincidentally, I had a med oops 2 yrs ago, that potentially could have killed, without intervention, maybe.   Would have been right on time, sort of, as USA Soc Sec starts at 66 for folks born in 1954.

I know many family and peers, that didn't make 30-40-50 or 60 years old.  A few didn't even make 20 yrs old.

And then there is my cousin (Mother's side) who just passed yesterday, @ 84 yrs old, I think 👍

Gives me 14 more years.   Although, I thought I'd beat the odds on long retirement, and did it 24 yrs ago ... JIC :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA

I almost poopoo my pants reading just the headers... imagine... retirement visa for expats raised to 65 years and up... that would create a serious s...storm

what do thai people expect, if they never contributed into the system ?  you have one dude that is the richest ...  in the world with about 2000 billion baht and the rest can listen to his predecessor that said something like, do not expect any handout from the government, do it yourself , with lots of photo ops... and his mummy that created the law if you insulted any of them, you get 15 years of free rent and food...

Edited by john donson

As it where... Thailand (in 2017) lowered the mandatory retirement age for certain groups of civil servants from 65 to 60. This change was largely a result of the government trying to create job opportunities for younger people.

5 minutes ago, john donson said:

I almost <deleted> my pants reading just the headers... imagine... retirement visa for expats raised to 65 years and up... that would create a serious s...storm

It is currently 50 while the Thai retirement age is 60. It was lowered from 60 to 55 to 50 IMO because the Thai authorities realised US Govt pensions can start at 50.

1 minute ago, Cabradelmar said:

As it where... Thailand (in 2017) lowered the mandatory retirement age for certain groups of civil servants from 65 to 60. This change was largely a result of the government trying to create job opportunities for younger people.

I believe my wife is in that group, but with the shortage of Nurses and especially highly educated Professors to teach them, they typically sign/contract for another 2-4 years.

• Haha 1

The way I understand it, life expectancy calculated from a particular birth date includes all deaths from childhood, through idiot youth and later age illness.  To exceed the end figure is no great achievement in itself, other than you weren't one of the unlucky ones who dragged the average down.

Having reached that age, your life expectancy actually rises quite a bit higher because all the fools and unlucky soles are no longer part of the equation.

1 hour ago, watchcat said:

The  government is surely in problem, want to adjust the pension age to 65 for the measly pay of 600 baht/month. Just confess, the country is in deep trouble, and comparing the country with Singapore and Switzerland is a joke.

Yes, and?  600baht/ month doesn't help.

They are following China's move to increase the retirement age. 

41 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

That's like saying many foreigners live past 100... but, of course, the majority don't. Retirement/pension ages are set hoping the majority die before the payment age, saving the government money.

40 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I always suspected that it's the stuff of fantasy when Thailand says that it has a 1%  unemployment number.

Considering you are considered unemployed if only working 1 day, even in your own paddy. Do not be confused with your home country.