Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

me and wf.went to renew our driving licence from 1yr.to 5yrs.once again i was made out to be a fraudulent person.

as the thai's have only got to produce an id.card,i took along my thai.tax id card with my name and address on it,my notification of address at immigration done tues.2april [90days],a letter from tax office with my name and address on it,and the letter from immigration last year which cost 500bht.[land and transport dept.bkk.]say its free,none of these they would except,this was at the licencing dept.next to tesco on mittapap rd.korat,my wf.protested and they then phoned the other place at jo ho and she was told they will not except any of these[proof of address] only a letter from immigration will do the wf said the websight says its free but imm.charges 500bht.i dont know about that she said.

another pissed off farang.t.i.t. taffy in thailand.

You come with lots of papers but not with the required paper: recent proof of address from immigration or workpermit.

The only one you should be pissed of at is yourself.

i was at imm.on tues.90day reporting i thought that was to confirm your address,do they actually know that i live there what proof have they[ imm.]have.thai tax id.card confirms my name/add.cheque stub with refund of tax to me.jan.2013.so what you say being charged 500bht.for something that is suposed to be free is ok.

Charging for something that should be free is a different subject.

You came not with the correct papers, so of course they won't/can't help you.

so because i tell immigration that i live here and they take my word,no check in over 3yrs.they are the only ones that are able to confirm your address,yet i have 2 lawyers,1 army bigwig,1 high ranking police officer,1 pol.officer,and 2 obotour bosses that all live by me and would vouch for my address that is what i call proof not some corupt office that read from the same hymn sheet as the office that give out driving licences to most that cant tell right from left,48yrs.driving in the uk and not a blemish on my record and with a driving licence as well,so dont make me angry.i need a drink to cool and calm me down.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so because i tell immigration that i live here and they take my word,no check in over 3yrs.they are the only ones that are able to confirm your address,yet i have 2 lawyers,1 army bigwig,1 high ranking police officer,1 pol.officer,and 2 obotour bosses that all live by me and would vouch for my address that is what i call proof not some corupt office that read from the same hymn sheet as the office that give out driving licences to most that cant tell right from left,48yrs.driving in the uk and not a blemish on my record and with a driving licence as well,so dont make me angry.i need a drink to cool and calm me down.

Do you not have a yellow Tabien Baan ?

In the UK, could you get an Army Officer/Policeman/Lawyer to write you a letter vouching for your address when applying for a driving license (or be used when any proof of address is needed) ? I think not, bad example on your part.

totster smile.png

You come with lots of papers but not with the required paper: recent proof of address from immigration or workpermit.

me and wf.went to renew our driving licence from 1yr.to 5yrs.once again i was made out to be a fraudulent person.

as the thai's have only got to produce an id.card,i took along my thai.tax id card with my name and address on it,my notification of address at immigration done tues.2april [90days],a letter from tax office with my name and address on it,and the letter from immigration last year which cost 500bht.[land and transport dept.bkk.]say its free,none of these they would except,this was at the licencing dept.next to tesco on mittapap rd.korat,my wf.protested and they then phoned the other place at jo ho and she was told they will not except any of these[proof of address] only a letter from immigration will do the wf said the websight says its free but imm.charges 500bht.i dont know about that she said.

The only one you should be pissed of at is yourself.

i was at imm.on tues.90day reporting i thought that was to confirm your address,do they actually know that i live there what proof have they[ imm.]have.thai tax id.card confirms my name/add.cheque stub with refund of tax to me.jan.2013.so what you say being charged 500bht.for something that is suposed to be free is ok.

Charging for something that should be free is a different subject.

You came not with the correct papers, so of course they won't/can't help you.

Same as everywhere: to obtain certain documents certain papers are required. Showing up with other papers won't do you any good.

stevenl keeps repeating the right documents,have you been eating onions? the right docu.as you say is the letter of proof of my address but it means i have to adhere to the brown envelope syndrome,in 30yrs.i have never done anything or been part of any illegal activity,you posted that it was a diff.matter paying 500bht.for this paper which is suposed to be free not concerning my whinge but its part of it,without this letter i cannot renew my driving licence.but i was told by the l.a.t.office that as long as i have a uk.drivers licence i can drive legally on that,is this true.

In the UK, could you get an Army Officer/Policeman/Lawyer to write you a letter vouching for your address when applying for a driving license (or be used when any proof of address is needed) ? I think not, bad example on your part.

totster smile.png

tell me how do i obtain a yellow tabien baan?do i have to cross any palms?.

and yes i have obtained proof and a signature from professional people when needed in the uk.and i had to get a counter signature here from a lawyer which was required by the uk.gov.by not adhereing to the brown envelope syndrome makes it out to be a bad example.i dont think so.

stevenl keeps repeating the right documents,have you been eating onions? the right docu.as you say is the letter of proof of my address but it means i have to adhere to the brown envelope syndrome,in 30yrs.i have never done anything or been part of any illegal activity,you posted that it was a diff.matter paying 500bht.for this paper which is suposed to be free not concerning my whinge but its part of it,without this letter i cannot renew my driving licence.but i was told by the l.a.t.office that as long as i have a uk.drivers licence i can drive legally on that,is this true.

No, if living here you can not drive legally with a UK license.

what will piss you off more is that I didn't need to provide any proof of address/Cert. of residence when renewing my license (changing from 1 yr to 5 yrs) in BKK.

No, if living here you can not drive legally with a UK license.

thanks for that,so its off to immigration monday 500bht.in an envelope and a bigbiggrin.png

totster smile.png

tell me how do i obtain a yellow tabien baan?do i have to cross any palms?.

and yes i have obtained proof and a signature from professional people when needed in the uk.and i had to get a counter signature here from a lawyer which was required by the uk.gov.by not adhereing to the brown envelope syndrome makes it out to be a bad example.i dont think so.

Search the forum for 'Yellow Tabien Baan', there are a couple of threads that discuss it.

https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence - can't see any mention of using a Policeman/Army Officer/Lawyer to vouch identity/address...

totster smile.png

A Thai friend phoned the local (Chiang Mai) Transport Office and was informed that my wife (ASEAN citizen) didn't have to get a Thai driver's license as there is reciprocity. Two questions arise:

1. Has anyone else ever heard of this? Is this an indefinite thing, such that she can drive without ever getting a Thai driver's license so long as her ASEAN license is not expired?

2. If the first question answer is "yes", would the same hold for a farang who has an ASEAN driver's license?

Much appreciate any additional information on this.

What are the potential problems if you drive a car in Thailand and do not have a Thai Driving license?

I have a Uk license.

You will be fined. But a much worse problem, in case of an accident your insurance comapny might

refuse settlement as you do not have a Thai licence as shown in most insurnce policies in the small print.

First question is, "what insurance company".

a tabian baan entitles me to what? as i already have a tax id.card,accounts at 3 different banks,a thai drivers licence[28 more days]

Its a house book and with your name registered in it you no longer need the residency certificate.

a tabian baan entitles me to what? as i already have a tax id.card,accounts at 3 different banks,a thai drivers licence[28 more days]

Its a house book and with your name registered in it you no longer need the residency certificate.

is that all?its only the car licencing dept.that have told me no letter confirming your address, no licence,i showed them last yrs.letter,no

change,reply out of date.

is that all?its only the car licencing dept.that have told me no letter confirming your address, no licence,i showed them last yrs.letter,no

Yes, certificate of address, workpermit or housebook.

Get it or don't get it, makes no difference to us... you were the one coming on here and crying because you didn't want to pay immigration for the letter, so get the yellow book !

totster smile.png

A Thai friend phoned the local (Chiang Mai) Transport Office and was informed that my wife (ASEAN citizen) didn't have to get a Thai driver's license as there is reciprocity. Two questions arise:

1. Has anyone else ever heard of this? Is this an indefinite thing, such that she can drive without ever getting a Thai driver's license so long as her ASEAN license is not expired?

2. If the first question answer is "yes", would the same hold for a farang who has an ASEAN driver's license?

Much appreciate any additional information on this.

I would go along to your local DLT and find out for yourself they are not allowed eat you. biggrin.png

Must be where you live. I went alone,watched a Safety Movie,read a Color Chart, broke a chair and,got a 5 Year one. No Paperwork at all.thumbsup.gif .

So you had to sign nothing then ?

What do you snort off your Spoon. No ,Just a New Photo, they took it, given New Licence and a Signature on something. I Had No Paperwork with Me, or asked for any. About 15 Minutes Total. DoYou start Fights in Empty Rooms or something. Its just my findings .

Must be where you live. I went alone,watched a Safety Movie,read a Color Chart, broke a chair and,got a 5 Year one. No Paperwork at all.thumbsup.gif .

So you had to sign nothing then ?

What do you snort off your Spoon. No ,Just a New Photo, they took it, given New Licence and a Signature on something. I Had No Paperwork with Me, or asked for any. About 15 Minutes Total. DoYou start Fights in Empty Rooms or something. Its just my findings .

So you signed something, that would be paperwork yeah ?

^ Must be a thrilling Saturday night in SpoonWorld. rolleyes.gif

No need for a pen as there is no paperwork to sign..................................

Went today for my new 5 year one's also had to watch the movie 1 hour, had to have 4 photo copies of visa passport ++ you have to sign all so that was 8 as have two licences + 4 more signature's + my phone no: to say you have taken the new licences two for each. Oh then there's a final one to sign and print name. There you go then no paper work for me also. N/B All the Thai's have to do the same, but they have paper work, that's because they are Thai.

But I might be getting myself confused on the paper work issue, you work it out.

^ I had to watch the comedy video and do the comedy tests getting my original 1 yr license, getting my 5 yr old DL once it had expired was a 5 minutes photo and sign affair.

Except that I was charged 405b from the very, very nice smiley lady, then when I got home added up the separate receipts she gave me and they added up to 305b. :cheesy: I'm sure it was an innocent mistake though. :D

went back to immigration for the 500bht.free residents letter pain free[didnt cry as tolster implied] then off to licencing dept,oh god there's a problem last yrs.expired licence has a wrong no.on it[a 2 instead of a three] you need a magnifying glass to see it,no problen said the nice lady its our mistake 50bht fine.that is true.

come to think about it 4x 5yr.licences each with a residents letter[4x500bht=2,000bht] thats a better deal than having to get a yellow book.

I can assure you i just watched the Movie and Broke the Chair. A Photo taken . but nothing that pisses me off Visa Style for once. It was in a One Horse Town where we all know each other though, not a Big City.. DEFINATELY NO PASSPORT requested. That did suprise me.coffee1.gif .

come to think about it 4x 5yr.licences each with a residents letter[4x500bht=2,000bht] thats a better deal than having to get a yellow book.

Errmmm.. yellow book is free... but if you are happy and everything turn out all right then no plomplem.

totster smile.png