Living In Thailand 4-6 Months - Options?

I am a 59 year old retired American citizan and just returned from my second short stay in Thailand. I would like to spend part of the year there, maybe 4-6 months divided into two or three stays, and do it every year. I am eligible for the retirement visa, but I don't want to live there year around, and not yet willing to make the 800,000 baht commitment. My head is spinning from trying to get all the details right, but it seems I have two options. I am posting this to see if I have my options right and/or there are other possibilities for me.

Option 1: Come there on a 30 day entry permit, then take a trip out of the country for a few days, then come back and get another 30 days. Is that automatic? i.e. you show up on your return and they give you another 30 days, no visa involved. How many times can you do that? At some point in time do you get red flagged because you keep doing it? This seems like the easiest option. The only thing I would have to deal with is the airline tickets. I know that the airlines may stop me when I start my trip if I don't already have my onward ticket within 30 days of arrival, so it locks me in a bit as to time and place, but I can deal with that. There are other cities in Asia I would like to visit, so no big deal there.

Option 2: Apply for a tourist visa. this is a bit of a hassle, since I have to gather the docs, mail it in (I live in San Diego), etc. Plus I have to already have bought my ticket (which again locks me in on a few months in advance on dates). And as I read it, that only gives me 60 days, with the possibility of another 30. And I would have to do it every time I go over there. I read something about a multiple entry tourist visa, but when I looked at the website for the Royal Thailand Consulate in Los Angelses I didn't see this mentioned.

I am sure many others are doing this - is there anything I am missing? Any problems or pitfalls? I want to do this strictly legal - I don't want to mess up future visits by getting tricky, and I like to relax when I go through immigration.

Thanks for your help.

There are lots of ways to do what you want, none of them particularly convenient. I'll start this for you.

Yes you can fly in and out of Thailand every 30 days and get a new 30 day stamp in Thailand automatically every time. This is only limited by the number of pages in your passport, which if you have a standard US passport, is definitely limited (you can buy more pages from the US embassy).

If you arrive at the airport in the US to depart to Thailand with no visa and no ticket out within 30 days, you most likely won't be boarded. With a visa, you will certainly be boarded. With only a ticket out within 30 days and no visa, you may still encounter some hassles, but I reckon they will board you on that.

The LA consulate isn't known for their flexibility so I would rate your chances of getting a double entry tourist visa from them low (perhaps someone reading this has a recent report on their policy). Double entry tourist visas are sometimes granted at other consulates and embassies. For example, in Vientienne Laos, or at Thai consulate in Texas, Oregon, etc. If you have time (you will be mailing your passport anyway) to get a tourist visa, I would contact some other consulates with your desires for multiple entry tourist visas (you can even ask for three entries, not sure of chance of success) and you can ask them if they can help you, but I reckon you should also ask them if they will accept your application from California (where of course the standard target is LA).

I have just scratched the surface. You can do this, but there are definitely hassles.

Edited by Jingthing

The laws have been changed recenlty and you no longer get 30 days if you do a border crossing you only get 7 or 14 which is nothing and you will forever be doing visa runs, the only time you get 30 days is when you come in from the airport so to get 30 days every month would mean you flying somewhere and flying back

Getting a double entry tourist visa is your best option but if it is to much of a pain as you say then i should recommend you get the initsla 30 day stamp when you arrive and when it is about to expire take a trip to Laos and get a tourist visa from there, the trip is nice and you can get a train to near the border for less than 1000 baht, a tourist visa is valid for 60 days with an option to extend it a further 30 days from the immigration in thailand

Easist thing is to combine two two

Fly here without a visa but with a flexible ticket which allows for changes in the date (so when you come it is within the 30 days and once here you can change it to the real date

After you have spend the first 30 days go to Vientiane and get a double entry tourist visa. (this will give you nearly 180 days just check out all the info which is here about this matter)

Like thid no hassle involved just a trip to Vientiane which when you are only holiday is not bad

You can qualify for a Retirement extension by an affidavit at the US Embassy in Bangkok that you receive the equivalent of 65K per month income subject to verification by the Thai IMM authorities -- then purchase sufficient re-entry permits ... no need to put 800K in a Thai bank.

If you have 65k baht a month income why not just go with the multi-entry Non-Immigrant Visa type O-A for purpose of retirement. Just time a visit during last thirty days of visa and you can extend for another year while in Thailand.

The experts I am sure will chime in on this one.

Good point, land crossings get you a 15 day stamp, airport entries 30 days.

It's true if the OP has significant income he can go for retirement extensions in Thailand without importing money. However I think that is not a great idea for him for his stay parameters. Immigration will want evidence of a local address and also sometimes require a small Thai bank account (not hard to open) even if fully qualifying on the income letter. I think the OP has already ruled out the retirement route and mainly wants to know how to do these annual trips other ways, and there are other ways. But it is an option, on the other hand he isn't really retiring in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

...stay in Thailand...maybe 4-6 months divided into two or three stays...

Travelling like a gypsy, ie not knowing from the outset how many arrivals you will have in Thailand and how long you will stay after each arrival, you will, based on the above information you have given, need a tourist visa valid for three entries.

I am here for six months of the year so I just get a Multiple Entry O-A Visa Long Stay (aka Retirement Visa) from the Thai Consulate in New York

It cost's me $175 for the Visa and all I have to provide is a medical certificate from my doctor stating that I don't have TB, Third Stage of Syphlis, Elephantitis, and some other disease that I am not familiar with, a local criminal records check (which I can get online for $10 in Pennsylvania), and a copy of my annuity statement showing more than 65,000 THB monthly income

Timed correctly this visa will give me two years (winters) in Thailand with only having to do 90 day reports. It all can be done by mail and no keeping 800,000 THB tied up on a minimal interest bearing savings account in Thailand and no dealing with the US Embassy in Bangkok

Like I said there are many options. I wouldn't suggest the O-A in this case, but you could play with that and get two years that way, and repeat. In my view, an O-A is "overkill" for a tourism scenario like this. As someone who has stayed here on similar time parameters as they OP, I did the tourist visa/30 day stamp game for when I lived here part of the year as he is proposing so I know it can be done, and switched to retirement extensions when I moved here full time. That's what I would do again if I were in his situation. However, whatever he does, like it or not, he will need to become rather well versed in the visa rules.

Edited by Jingthing

...stay in Thailand...maybe 4-6 months divided into two or three stays...

Travelling like a gypsy, ie not knowing from the outset how many arrivals you will have in Thailand and how long you will stay after each arrival, you will, based on the above information you have given, need a tourist visa valid for three entries.

Like a gypsy? Like a real tourist more like it. Thailand could use many more real tourists ...

The simplest approach would be to simply use the 30-day no-visa-required entries accorded to Americans arriving in Thailand by air, so long as you have onward travel arrangements within each day entry period. If someone already had plans for taking side trips to other nearby countries by air and then returning to Thailand as the OP seems to have, that approach would work well.

Doing the tourist visa merry-go-round also is do-able as described above, but potentially involves a level of hassle dealing with either the L.A. Thai Consulate or local Thai consulates in neighboring countries to Thailand, as well as the travel and expense of getting there.

The Thai honorary consulate in Houston is one of the better, friendlier ones....and they are fine to do business by mail, even for someone living in California... You might contact them by phone or email to check their current status re double or triple entry tourist visas....

The retirement visa (issued outside Thailand) or the retirement extension of stay (issued by Immigration inside Thailand) work well for longer, ongoing stays, and the OP qualifies by age... Don't know about income....

But doublecheck me on this: if someone is using one of those approaches, don't you pretty much need to be able to have/use some kind of ongoing residence address in Thailand? For 90-day reporting and/or other purposes?

For extensions of stay, I know different immigration offices can have different local policies. But in BKK, when satisfying the income requirement with a consulate income letter documenting monthly income of at least 65,000 baht, they've never cared or asked about having a local Thai bank account.

Edited by jfchandler

If you do not stay in Thailand for longer than 90 days at a time then no 90 day report is required; for 'residence' purposes a formal monthly invoice from a service apartment suffices and it doesn't necessarily have to be the same residence each time as long as it is within the same IMM district... there are no 'days in Thailand' requirements for extension of visa based on retirement.

Edited by jazzbo

Also note that if you arrive at BKK with a tourist visa, reports now indicate that they will force you to use it there without giving you option to save it for later (choosing for a 30 day "free" stamp instead). For example if you were entering Thailand for 15 days before a planned trip to Singapore, your 60 day tourist visa entry would be stamped USED, so you would end up getting 15 days out of it, not the paid for 60 days. To maximize that entry, you could apply for a reentry permit in Thailand for it, that way when coming back you would still have the original 60 day allowed stay allowed. Like I said, whatever your tactics, you need to become well versed in the visa game here to pull of a stay like that smoothly and efficiently. Not that it is rocket science, but you have to pay attention, and probably post here again as issues and questions come up. In the example above those worries could be avoided by not planning any trips out too early during the allowed periods of any given entries.

Confused now? (Ha ha.)

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks to all of you for your responses. Very useful information, and a whole lot cheaper than going to an immigration lawyer.

After giving it some thought - it is raining here in San Diego which almost never happens - I have decided to use the KISS method - keep it simple, stupid.

I will book a 30 day trip to Thailand. According to the postings, I can either leave for a few days and get another 30 days (as one poster commented, I have plenty of pages left in my passport), or if I want to stay for more than 30 days go to Vientiane and get a 60 day tourist visa (can I do the same in Luala Lumpur?). I have never been to Laos, so that might be a good trip. The only issue is dealing with the airlines. In my experience, airlines are second only to banks in terms of their ability to "trick" you. Last year I bought a "changeable" ticket on Cathay Pacific. When I got to Thailand I decided I want to stay another week. I went to the CP office to get a new flight. To my surprise, every flight was booked!! So when I got back to my hotel room I checked. There were plenty of seats on my requested flights, just not for ME!(they already had my money - they wanted new money) For airlines, changeable tickets are like frequent fligher miles - they are really good at giving them out, but if you want to actually use them, they get really annoyed. But I will deal with that.

My other comments:

The retirement visa seems horribly complictad to me, and I have many years of education (too many, some might say). Sadly, I am not yet drawing my pension, so I cannnot go the monthy income route. On the plus side, I am a natural saver, so I can get by until I reach 65. I looked at the website for the Thai Embassy in LA and it mentioned needing 800,000 baht, but it did not specificaly say that I needed to bring that to Thailand, just have it??? How does the monthly income requrement work when your income is from investimens, not pension (i.e. stocks, bonds, and interest). But I will deal with that later as I have no interest at the moment of living in Thailand all year - I like where I live and I just want to spend a vew months each year in Thailand.

Editorial comment - As we all know, immigrations laws are driven by politics, not logic. I would be a perfect candidate for Thailand - I will spend money there, never need any benefits (education, welfare, etc.), no criminal record (however, I am a big fan of Obama, which as of yet, is not a crime - that is a JOKE people)

But thanks again for the info. I will post if I get in trouble.

Retirement 800k in bank account for an O-A visa does not have to be in Thailand. Only when you obtain one years extensions of stay for retirement from Immigration inside Thailand using that method would it have to be here in an account (for a set period of time).

For income method for Visa it would require whatever the Embassy requires (LA is not the Embassy) and likely tax records would be accepted. For extension of stay inside Thailand a letter from your Embassy is required each year and for Americans that is a sworn statement notarized by an Embassy Consular Officer.

CBB.. , as an L.A. BB, a couple things to remember about the above discussion...

--the 30 day no visa entry to Thailand for Americans only applies for airport port of entries, land crossings have a shorter entry period. You can AFAIK repeat airline entries and exits endlessly with no visa obtained, provided you stay within the 30 day limits...

--keep in mind that when you go to board an airline outside Thailand, they're likely (but not always) going to want to see either a visa/entry permit for Thailand or some proof of onward/return travel... That's to limit their liability for someone who travels to Thailand without the proper entry credentials and then is denied entry by Thai immigration.

--The retirement visa (from outside Thailand) or retirement based extension of stay (from Immigration inside Thailand) do SEEM horribly complicated when encountered by a newcomer.... But really, once you get your grips around the process, it's not too hard to manage at all....

--You meet the age requirement, age 50 or above. For the income requirement for extensions of stay, it can be any of three ways:

1. 800,000 baht or more on deposit in a bank in Thailand for two months prior on your first application, and three months prior on subsequent applications, or

2. 65,000 baht per month of stated income, and a signed letter from the U.S. Consulate in Thailand documenting it. The income can be from any location inside or outside Thailand, and can be from any source: property rentals, pension, interest earnings, salary, dividend earnings, etc..., or

3. Any combination of Thai bank deposits and yearly income together that equal to 800,000 baht or more. If using this combination method, then there is no two or three month "seasoning" requirement for the Thai banks funds as occurs with #1.

You probably could obtain a multi entry tourist visa in the USA if you spent a bit of time pursuing it...even if not from the L.A. consulate. But as long as the 30 day no visa entries fits with your plans and you can manage the onward travel requirements, then that is the most no hassle approach.

Note that generally, O-A "retirement" visas are issued at home country embassies. However, the LA consulate appears to be an exception to that (of course the embassy in Washington also issues them) --

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=34

8. Effective Immediately - The visa fee for Non-Immigrant O-A Long-Stay (Retirement) visa is $175 - payable by cashiers check or money order only made payable to "Royal Thai Consulate General - Los Angeles"

OP, it so happens, there is another TV thread running just a few days back on obtaining triple entry tourist visas in the USA...including one poster said he had had success from the Houston honorary consulate that I recommended above...

You should check out this related thread....

As stated in the thread, you're not obligated to use the L.A. consulate as opposed to an honorary consulate in another city....especially for things like tourist visas, provided the honorary consulate will cooperate. I obtained my business visa from the Houston honorary consulate some years back and did the entire process by mail...quite successfully and satisfactorily...

Poster Todd in that thread is a veteran and knowledgeable source on such matters.

There are lots of ways to do what you want, none of them particularly convenient. I'll start this for you.

Yes you can fly in and out of Thailand every 30 days and get a new 30 day stamp in Thailand automatically every time. This is only limited by the number of pages in your passport, which if you have a standard US passport, is definitely limited (you can buy more pages from the US embassy).

If you arrive at the airport in the US to depart to Thailand with no visa and no ticket out within 30 days, you most likely won't be boarded. With a visa, you will certainly be boarded. With only a ticket out within 30 days and no visa, you may still encounter some hassles, but I reckon they will board you on that.

The LA consulate isn't known for their flexibility so I would rate your chances of getting a double entry tourist visa from them low (perhaps someone reading this has a recent report on their policy). Double entry tourist visas are sometimes granted at other consulates and embassies. For example, in Vientienne Laos, or at Thai consulate in Texas, Oregon, etc. If you have time (you will be mailing your passport anyway) to get a tourist visa, I would contact some other consulates with your desires for multiple entry tourist visas (you can even ask for three entries, not sure of chance of success) and you can ask them if they can help you, but I reckon you should also ask them if they will accept your application from California (where of course the standard target is LA).

I have just scratched the surface. You can do this, but there are definitely hassles.

I received my double entry 60 day tourist visa from the Thai Embassy Las Angeles. Very easy to deal with. Just contact the Bernard at the Visa section. I don't have the phone number handy but you can find it on their website. I sent my passport, 2 photos and application via express mail with return pre-paid mailer and about 6 days later was returned to me with the double entry visa.

That's great news! Thanks for the update on their more recent policies. May their reputation improve if it is warranted and/or maybe I was wrong that there was ever any resistance to doubles there (if so mea culpa). On the other hand, I still think they will not grant single entry O visas there for purposes of "exploring retirement" in Thailand. Neither I think will the D.C. embassy.

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the responses. I think I will initially come in on a 30 day entry stamp with a flexible airline ticket out within 30 days. Then I can extend it by leaving the country and getting another 30 days, or get a tourist visa for 60 days. Just a couple of questions:

1 Everyone talks about going to Laos for extensions etc. but few talk about Kuala Lumpur. Is that strictly for cost/geographic reasons, or is the Thai embassy in KL difficult to deal with? If I decide to get a tourist visa in while I am in KL, how long does that usually take?

2. The reason I said the retirement visa seems complicated has to do with the financial requirements. I still don't understand when I need to have the 800,000 baht in Thailand as opposed to just having it available here in the US (I do not yet draw a pension). That is a big issue with me because I don't want the hassle of bringing the money over to Thailand (which also triggers certain reporting requirements with the IRS about overseas accounts, money flows etc.), and then decide after one year I prefer to come back here and live. Then I have to try to get it back here. Is there a way to keep it here in the US at least for the first year of a Non-O visa?

Thanks again for the info.

You can keep the 800,000 in your U.S bank if you apply for a O-A Visa in the U.S.

Most people choose Vientienne Laos over KL because they will issue a 2 entry tourist visa. KL a single only.

At both you apply in the morning and pick up next say afternoon.

Lite Beer's advice is correct, of course... And if you were to go for an O-A in the U.S., I believe I'm correct on this, you'd also be able to extend the original year on an O-A with almost a second year by leaving Thailand just before your original year expires...

Re bringing or transferring 800,000 into Thailand, I do understand that concern, especially if one isn't yet sure they plan to stay for the long term... But I'd suggest a couple things to consider...

1. Re the IRS issue, that is just a reporting obligation. And it's only the issue of having $10,000 U.S. or more at any time during the tax year in a foreign account. Beyond the that reporting requirement, I don't believe there are any other consequences involved.

2. As far as having 800,000 baht in Thailand, it's true it's much easier to bring U.S. $ into Thailand than it is to get U.S.$ out in large amounts via the banking systems. However, you might think about this...

The 800,000 requirement for a retirement extension inside Thailand is only the balance that's required at the time you apply for and receive your retirement extension.. Once you get your extension, for the next 9 months (until 3 months before your potential second annual retirement extension application), no one cares what your Thai bank account balance is...

So, for someone not yet certain if they were going to stay in Thailand long term, you could simply use the 800,000 initial deposit to fund your regular living expenses for that ensuing year, and thus gradually work down your Thai bank account balance... spending 40,000 or 60,000 baht a month here certainly is not uncommon. So that by the time the end of your first year comes, if you decided not to stay for a second year, you might not have much of substantial Thai bank balance left to deal with.

Lite Beer's advice is correct, of course... And if you were to go for an O-A in the U.S., I believe I'm correct on this, you'd also be able to extend the original year on an O-A with almost a second year by leaving Thailand just before your original year expires...

Re bringing or transferring 800,000 into Thailand, I do understand that concern, especially if one isn't yet sure they plan to stay for the long term... But I'd suggest a couple things to consider...

1. Re the IRS issue, that is just a reporting obligation. And it's only the issue of having $10,000 U.S. or more at any time during the tax year in a foreign account. Beyond the that reporting requirement, I don't believe there are any other consequences involved.

2. As far as having 800,000 baht in Thailand, it's true it's much easier to bring U.S. $ into Thailand than it is to get U.S.$ out in large amounts via the banking systems. However, you might think about this...

The 800,000 requirement for a retirement extension inside Thailand is only the balance that's required at the time you apply for and receive your retirement extension.. Once you get your extension, for the next 9 months (until 3 months before your potential second annual retirement extension application), no one cares what your Thai bank account balance is...

So, for someone not yet certain if they were going to stay in Thailand long term, you could simply use the 800,000 initial deposit to fund your regular living expenses for that ensuing year, and thus gradually work down your Thai bank account balance... spending 40,000 or 60,000 baht a month here certainly is not uncommon. So that by the time the end of your first year comes, if you decided not to stay for a second year, you might not have much of substantial Thai bank balance left to deal with.

You can do as I did, and that is to buy a one way to Thailand and also buy a one way or RT to Vientiene for $111US or one way and take the bus back,.. Get your Non imm O visa in Laos and pick PP with the visa up the next day. This will cost you 2000baht for single entry and 5000baht for muliple. I think it would be wiser to get the single entry for 2000B . This will give you 90 days and then apply for an extension right in Thailand immigrations. As far as having to have 800k in a bank account, that is not all true. One must only show 65k per month income (in your own country) or thailand which you can get an affidavit at the local embassy in thailand that will be notorized by your embassy as to your income.Just hand the income Notary paper, visa app with two pics attached and 2000b and PP to the gal at the window(she will give you a queque number) and you can pick it up at the other building next door at 1pm. But expect a long line and at least a 2-3 hours wait...make sure and apply for the non imm-O type visa and then you're good for 90 days then extend again in Thailand. Later you can apply for the retirement visa, OA I am almost sure of this is the way to do this as this is what I had done and had no problems. Its just a hassle at the thai embasy waiting in line....have the paper filled out with everything before you get there and it will make it much easier. You will get a number to keep and present the next day after 1pm to pick it all up. Don't lose the number...There is no requirement to have 800k in a thai bank account, just to show a regular income on 65k per month from your bank. Your embassy may not even ask to see proof but make sure and have proof from your bank just in case....pay the embassy I think 1200baht and take the notorized income paper......You won't want to live full time as I found too. Just half anf half is plenty , at least for me...who knows, everyone is different..

You can do as I did, and that is to buy a one way to Thailand and also buy a one way or RT to Vientiene for $111US or one way and take the bus back,.. Get your Non imm O visa in Laos and pick PP with the visa up the next day. This will cost you 2000baht for single entry and 5000baht for muliple. I think it would be wiser to get the single entry for 2000B . This will give you 90 days and then apply for an extension right in Thailand immigrations. As far as having to have 800k in a bank account, that is not all true. One must only show 65k per month income (in your own country) or thailand which you can get an affidavit at the local embassy in thailand that will be notorized by your embassy as to your income.Just hand the income Notary paper, visa app with two pics attached and 2000b and PP to the gal at the window(she will give you a queque number) and you can pick it up at the other building next door at 1pm. But expect a long line and at least a 2-3 hours wait...make sure and apply for the non imm-O type visa and then you're good for 90 days then extend again in Thailand. Later you can apply for the retirement visa, OA I am almost sure of this is the way to do this as this is what I had done and had no problems. Its just a hassle at the thai embasy waiting in line....have the paper filled out with everything before you get there and it will make it much easier. You will get a number to keep and present the next day after 1pm to pick it all up. Don't lose the number...There is no requirement to have 800k in a thai bank account, just to show a regular income on 65k per month from your bank. Your embassy may not even ask to see proof but make sure and have proof from your bank just in case....pay the embassy I think 1200baht and take the notorized income paper......You won't want to live full time as I found too. Just half anf half is plenty , at least for me...who knows, everyone is different..

Also applying from the US you will be required to get more documentation I.e. police report etc. In laos it is not required and less hassle as far as that goes. Also the medical paper is required applying from the us. I never had to do either in Laos. It's just what the Thai embassy in San francisco told me. You can do it that way and don't need to show a RT ticket if you get the visa in your home country though...soooo. If you go to your police station and ask for this they will give you a funny look of "what is that"...a big explanation then the buck will be passed until you have explained it 20 times what it is for....

The three different options for meeting the financial requirements of a retirement extension in Thailand have been detailed and explained earlier in this thread. The 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account is one of those three...

The OP noted, in an earlier comment, that he has not yet qualified for a pension, so the 65,000 baht monthly income method might not be suitable for him.

The third available method is using a combination of monthly income and Thai bank deposits, but the OP hasn't said whether he could meet that method or not. Although as I advised him earlier in this thread, pretty much any income from any source or location can be counted, provided it can be documented by the applicant. So assuming someone has any income to show, that and the combo method can be used to avoid the 2 or 3 month seasoning of Thai bank funds requirement at most Thai Immigration offices. There is no seasoning of funds required, under Thai immigration regs, when the combo method is used to satisfy the financial requirement.

Call the Portland Honouary Consultant and ask her if you can get a multi tourist visa. She is very professional, I recieved a non-o for visiting friend no hassel. sent it one day priorty mail and it was back the next day. If you donot like hassels why are you thinking laos with a few hundred people in line daily for a visa. Good luck in your quest for the perfect senario, take care of it on the front end before you leave and every thing will flow from there.