Manchester United

redrus

9 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Relax. We needed a point to finish in second and we played safety first.

This summer, and the way we start next season, could be massive. Let's see what happens. 

In reality, it was dire.  As was the Spurs game.  End of a long season.  Players not wanting an injury just before the world cup.  

10 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Relax. We needed a point to finish in second and we played safety first.

This summer, and the way we start next season, could be massive. Let's see what happens. 

The problems being the Mourinho style of play won't change, and any players he signs will have to fit in or they are out of favour...…..as we know.

His style of play is a disgrace to the memory of Matt Busby and to the legacy of Alex Ferguson, IMO.

6 minutes ago, xylophone said:

The problems being the Mourinho style of play won't change, and any players he signs will have to fit in or they are out of favour...…..as we know.

His style of play is a disgrace to the memory of Matt Busby and to the legacy of Alex Ferguson, IMO.

Yes the style of play is dreadful but more important than this is that its effectiveness only seems to go so far and is simply not effective enough at elite CL level which is where Mourinho is obviously tasked to succeed.  I think it used to be effective but in the recent years elite managers with elite teams have that extra firepower of pick the lock.

And lets be fair to Mourinho here, he did say, very openly last week, if your keeper is your best player then theres a problem.  This problem being there since Ferguson retired.

United simply did what the minimum requirement demanded and won the point need and who can blame players for not wanting to pick up a nasty injury so close to the world cup

34 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Agree the style of play is a concern sometimes. There is a lot of work to do in the summer. I expect to see a couple of new players even a new formation come next season as this 4-3-3 that he's played towards the end of season hasn't produced much.

But as I said before, 2nd with plenty of room for improvement is better than 3rd or 4th playing out of our skin.

With respect to your previous post.. One thing we musn't do under any circumstances is sell DDG!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Agree the style of play is a concern sometimes. There is a lot of work to do in the summer. I expect to see a couple of new players even a new formation come next season as this 4-3-3 that he's played towards the end of season hasn't produced much.

But as I said before, 2nd with plenty of room for improvement is better than 3rd or 4th playing out of our skin.

With respect to your previous post.. One thing we musn't do under any circumstances is sell DDG!

Next season will be a big one for us and Mourinho......unless the entertainment improves he will lose the supporters and inevitably his job :sad:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Well he is going to go in a couple of seasons or less, and being out of contract MU will get "nothing" for him and Romero wants a move; so why not snap up Butland and then let the young Portuguese keeper, who is highly rated, also get a chance?

54 minutes ago, carmine said:

United simply did what the minimum requirement demanded and won the point need and who can blame players for not wanting to pick up a nasty injury so close to the world cup

Unfortunately a player is just as likely to pick up an injury when trying to "stroll" through a game, especially when the other side wants a win, as when trying to play a normal game.

And as if to prove my point, look at the couple of crunching, leg extended tackles that Pogba and McTominay were involved in.

The style is/was to defend, and the setup was to draw and that's what happened.

If the style is to attack and the setup is to win, then a draw becomes the least one settles for. Whereas playing for a draw, one can easily end up losing.

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well he is going to go in a couple of seasons or less, and being out of contract MU will get "nothing" for him and Romero wants a move; so why not snap up Butland and then let the young Portuguese keeper, who is highly rated, also get a chance?

Unfortunately a player is just as likely to pick up an injury when trying to "stroll" through a game, especially when the other side wants a win, as when trying to play a normal game.

And as if to prove my point, look at the couple of crunching, leg extended tackles that Pogba and McTominay were involved in.

The style is/was to defend, and the setup was to draw and that's what happened.

If the style is to attack and the setup is to win, then a draw becomes the least one settles for. Whereas playing for a draw, one can easily end up losing.

Mourinho invariably sets up not the lose, not to concede.  It is very effective over 38 league games but no longer i believe at elite level where you have to take the bull by the horns or have a very well thought out reactive strategy, as perfected by Carlo Ancelotti.  Failure at CL level is odds and top four nailed on, with United somewhere in between but Mourinho knows thats not good enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carmine said:

Yes the style of play is dreadful but more important than this is that its effectiveness only seems to go so far and is simply not effective enough at elite CL level which is where Mourinho is obviously tasked to succeed...

You are aware aren't you that Mourinho's style of play has been "effective enough at elite CL level" to win it TWICE?

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You are aware aren't you that Mourinho's style of play has been "effective enough at elite CL level" to win it TWICE?

Yes i am but then again if you had bothered to read my read i suggest that it is dated and no longer an effective tactic.  Jesus, you wear me down.  Always trying to have a pop.  grow up and try and keep up will you

12 minutes ago, carmine said:

Yes i am but then again if you had bothered to read my read i suggest that it is dated and no longer an effective tactic.  Jesus, you wear me down.  Always trying to have a pop.  grow up and try and keep up will you

"I'M ALWAYS TRYING TO HAVE A POP". Unbelievable! 

<deleted> hell I've spent the last few years DEFENDING City's corner on all issues from snipes from YOU and ALFIE, not attacking, but I will agree I've become in recent times as childish (in retaliation) as yourself and others - not something I'm proud about. Yes it is wearing being the club that gets the most shit on here but I try to do it without the namecalling and aggression you resort to. Stop being a <deleted> prima donna will ya.

To your post on football. Football changes. Defensive football works sometimes. Counter attacking football was in fashion (Leicester for example). Possession football. I've no doubt Mourinho has the ability to win it again with the same Mourinho style if he gets players that suit - I rate him, you appear not to.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Let's hope that the owners/board know that too!! :smile:

Might just be that top 4 will do. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Top 4 kept Wenger at Arsenal for a long, long time.

Mourinho could be at United for 10 to 15 years.:laugh:

• Sad 1

The pressure will be on next season, provided Mourinho is able to buy and sell (shape the team to his liking) the players he wants then there will be no excuses - he will have had long enough IMO to shit or get off the pot

The pressure in now on from here on in

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

<deleted> hell I've spent the last few years DEFENDING City's corner on all issues from snipes from YOU and ALFIE, not attacking, but I will agree I've become in recent times as childish (in retaliation) as yourself and others - not something I'm proud about. Yes it is wearing being the club that gets the most shit on here but I try to do it without the namecalling and aggression you resort to. Stop being a <deleted> prima donna will ya.

To your post on football. Football changes. Defensive football works sometimes. Counter attacking football was in fashion (Leicester for example). Possession football. I've no doubt Mourinho has the ability to win it again with the same Mourinho style if he gets players that suit - I rate him, you appear not to.

Do one troll.

Just now, carmine said:

Do one troll.

Carmine let me explain the concept for you. This is a football FORUM. People will post things you don't like or agree with. Put up with it without the 'holier than thou' attitude or don't bother participating. 

Just now, Bredbury Blue said:

Carmine let me explain the concept for you. This is a football FORUM. People will post things you don't like or agree with. Put up with it without the 'holier than thou' attitude or don't bother participating. 

Go play with Evenstevens, and put me on ignore.  Thanks

30 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Well the Utd fans detest the style of football.

If it doesn't change next season the supporters will force a change by Xmas.

Edited by RonniePickering22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, petermik said:

Next season will be a big one for us and Mourinho......unless the entertainment improves he will lose the supporters and inevitably his job :sad:

Not sure I mean if he wins a 3rd trophy this season maybe he will stick to his philosophy. 

44 minutes ago, carmine said:

The style is similar to Diego simeone set up and it's effective.

37 minutes ago, carmine said:

Go play with Evenstevens, and put me on ignore.  Thanks

you have posted on this forum                   that you have done this!""                      so why ask??.                                          all adds up to a  troll of                          gutter level 

42 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

The style is similar to Diego simeone set up and it's effective.

Similar is not the same.  Atletico are extremely effective going forward with the likes of Greisman, its altogether a better drilled machine.

Leicester are more similar.

Edited by carmine

4 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Does being a troll mean consistently disagreeing with you? If so you can put me down as one too.

What an incredibly grown up post young Rick!!  Of course, you could just mind you're own business, or, if you don't like what i say, ignore me!  You're not a troll Rick, you just sound a little juvenile is all.

So presumably you think most United fans are trolls too because they disagree with you?:smile:

Edited by carmine

3 minutes ago, carmine said:

Similar is not the same.  Atletico are extremely effective going forward with the likes of Greisman, its altogether a better drilled machine

Athletico position 2nd.

For 55

Against 20

United 2nd

For 68

Against 28

Top scorer - griezman 27/46

Lukaku- 27/50

Extremely similar set ups.

Highly effective.

Simeone has been at Athletico a while.

1 minute ago, carmine said:

What an incredibly grown up post young Rick.

So presumably you think most United fans are trolls too because they disagree with you?:smile:

Says the lad who says troll like he has tourettes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

Athletico position 2nd.

For 55

Against 20

United 2nd

For 68

Against 28

Top scorer - griezman 27/46

Lukaku- 27/50

Extremely similar set ups.

Highly effective.

Simeone has been at Athletico a while.

And how effective has Mourinho's United been in the CL and how effective do you think Mourinho's United will be in the CL next season then?  You think they'll win it or get to the final do you?

2 minutes ago, carmine said:

And how effective has Mourinho's United been in the CL and how effective do you think Mourinho's United will be in the CL next season then?  You think they'll win it or get to the final do you?

This team won a European trophy in its 1st season.  United is under a lot of transition still and they are guided by a serial CL contender and winner. Your comments about style change required to win CL are off the mark and have no basis. His systems are proven to win things but maybe he still does not have the right staff just yet which is why it will be interesting to see the changes that get made this close season. What happened this season in CL was all round very strange. It is a kamikaze league this year.