The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Last night I ordered a bucket of fried chicken from Hooters via Food Panda.  Hooters claims this is one of their signature dishes and I wanted to try it.

When you order from Food Panda, they give you a play-by-play tracking screen with updates every minute and an estimate of the time your food will arrive.  My initial estimate was about 30 minutes and the tracker said, "The restaurant has received your order".  As the clock counted down to around 15 minutes, the tracker was updated to say, "The restaurant if preparing your order".  The clock continued to count down to about 11 minutes at which time I started to prepare for the meal.

Then, abruptly, then tracker completely changed and said, "Your order has been canceled".  This notice went up 32 minutes after I had placed my order.  I contacted customer service and they were very polite, but could provide no explanation as to why my order was canceled after 32 minutes.

Needless to say, I was quite angry.  My complaint to customer service yielded only an apology, but no explanation of where the service went wrong, so I am simply sharing with the group to vent my frustration...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If you say so. 

Not looking for an argument here. 

So you win. 

Back to Khao mun Gai and Capons. 

I have never heard of that.

So again can you or anyone point us to a place in Pattaya that serves capon baser Khao mun Gai? 

Thanks. 

I would never eat anything I cannot pronounce.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Legende Restaurant (ooh la la) now open in the famous cheap spaghetti location on the Tappraya Road hill between Pattaya and Jomtien. Can't find any link online. Apparently it's a European food restaurant with a fancy interior. If you stop by, please provide menu and price details. 

Xiaolongkan Chinese Hot Pot (Fondue)

Major international Chinese hot pot chain from Chengdu, Sichuan province, China opening in Pattaya!

2nd road, North Pattaya, across from the Burger King Korean food mall

When I say that Pattaya is advancing and advancing quickly in the authentic Chinese food scene, I ain't whistleblowing dixie.

This is really happening.

This new place seems to actually be two connected hot pot restaurants. It seems one is branded Xialongkan and not sure about the other. I'm assuming they are directly related businesses but these are just being finished now so I'm not sure about the details.

The feature of course is the Mala super spicy broth (hot pepper and numbing Sichuan pepper) in which you cool all the various items. Keep in mind -- they are very big on offal!

Not sure if these very new places are actually serving yet, but if not, it looks like very soon. 

One thing is for sure though! With this place we can be certain they'll be serving the real deal spices and fresh Chinese Sichuan peppers unlike the typical places here that have been serving really awful and STALE Sichuan peppers and often not having the proper other ingredients.

Another thing. Based on my reading these places do NOT have menus other than for hot pots. I suggest if you want that go to Lv Yuan in Jomtien which sign says hot pots but actually has a robust and excellent non-hot pot menu. Tappraya Road, Jomtien in the old Bruno's building. 

https://www.goldthread2.com/food/xiaolongkan-chinese-hot-pot-chain-new-york-city/article/3014839

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Legende Restaurant (ooh la la) now open in the famous cheap spaghetti location on the Tappraya Road hill between Pattaya and Jomtien. Can't find any link online. Apparently it's a European food restaurant with a fancy interior. If you stop by, please provide menu and price details. 

Pass by every day, for the past few weeks, never seen a customer. 

Must say, looks smart.

Edited by hackjam

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't know. If the food is exceptional and the prices are fair, they will come. Big ifs!

Maybe need to get their finger marketing wise.

A sign outside advertising daily specials, for example.

I have not seen anything on social media or forums.

Location is not that bad, it could get lots of passing trade, on the Baht bus route.

Right now, nothing would tempt me to stop there-Do they do Breakfast???

Have to say, does look more of a restaurant than a bar that serves good food.

Got to do something to get punters in initially.

Jasmine Coffee & Restaurant, two locations on 3rd Road, are the only places I know of that offer a variation on one of my favorite Thai dishes, “yam pla dook foo” the fluffy spicy catfish salad.

Jasmine does this with tuna instead of catfish, which improves it IMHO.  It’s N. 082 on the menu, “Deep fried crispy tuna spicy salad Thai herbs style”.  150 baht    The tuna isn’t spicy at all, but the mango and onion salad (served separately) is quite spicy.

Has anyone seen Tuna Foo on a menu anywhere else?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thailien8 said:

Jasmine Coffee & Restaurant, two locations on 3rd Road, are the only places I know of that offer a variation on one of my favorite Thai dishes, “yam pla dook foo” the fluffy spicy catfish salad.

Jasmine does this with tuna instead of catfish, which improves it IMHO.  It’s N. 082 on the menu, “Deep fried crispy tuna spicy salad Thai herbs style”.  150 baht    The tuna isn’t spicy at all, but the mango and onion salad (served separately) is quite spicy.

Has anyone seen Tuna Foo on a menu anywhere else?

Yes many places.

I think I recall that the Thai and Vietnamese place recently mentioned in South Pattaya has it.

Never heard of it being done with tuna though.

Poutine in Pattaya?

Who knew?

So what is poutine (it sounds vaguely obscene which is not something usually associated with Canadiana) --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

Poutine (/puːˈtiːn/ poo-TEEN, Quebec French: [put͡sɪn] (listen)) is a dish that includes french fries and cheese curds topped with a brown gravy.

Anyway as you can read if you didn't already know it's a very high fat dish perhaps more apt for colder weather.

Although I've been to Canada several times including Quebec numerous times as well, I somehow managed to dodge the poutine bullet.

So I've never had it.

Which is one reason why I won't be trying our local Pattaya poutine. 

I don't want that to be my first impression of that famous dish.

If you're game or a desperate Canadian you can now find a dedicated poutine food stall at the Tree Town food court, Soi Buakow, enter from the south end of Tree Town.

A Thai lady was presiding. The pictures didn't look appealing but they were recognizable as some kind of interpretation of poutine. If nothing else the portion of curd pictured appeared too paltry. The lady noticed my surprise at seeing a poutine stall in such a setting so I said, that is funny.

Any brave Canadians that may try this please post your comments.

Edited by Jingthing

15 minutes ago, hackjam said:

Passing Pig & Whistle Jomtien yesterday, noted daily special was Roast Turkey at 270B.

Was bang average, Turkey and veg were OK, you get choice roast or mash???? Went for roast spuds, poor and not roasted properly, not part boiled I reckon. Gravy was awful, too sweet. Stuffing and pig in blanket awful also-pig was like a German frankfurter.

Was busy around 6 pm and service OK.

Like I said, bang average and poor value at 270B

p and w thumbnail_IMG_9867.jpg

Leftover turkey from over a week ago. Rather you than me.????

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, fhickson said:

i would be more interested in sourcing regular daily food options for expats that are living here full time, rather then restaurants selling 250+ per meal.

That's easy. Learn how to cook yourself.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, fhickson said:

i would be more interested in sourcing regular daily food options for expats that are living here full time, rather then restaurants selling 250+ per meal.

You and everyone else is welcome to post about such places. 250 is really on the low side these days though.

• Like 1

Speaking of places that will cost more than 250 baht, I had asked before for any information at all on the new Legende restaurant on Tappraya in the old famous cheap spaghetti location.

Well, we have that now in spades. The food does really look quite good.

I'm not very big on desserts but the rhum baba is screaming out to me.

https://www.facebook.com/legenderesto/

https://www.pattayamail.com/diningout/a-legend-is-born-281807

9 hours ago, hackjam said:

Passing Pig & Whistle Jomtien yesterday, noted daily special was Roast Turkey at 270B.

Was bang average, Turkey and veg were OK, you get choice roast or mash???? Went for roast spuds, poor and not roasted properly, not part boiled I reckon. Gravy was awful, too sweet. Stuffing and pig in blanket awful also-pig was like a German frankfurter.

Was busy around 6 pm and service OK.

Like I said, bang average and poor value at 270B

p and w thumbnail_IMG_9867.jpg

I was tempted to try that turkey there too but I resisted.

Better you than me!

• Like 1