Immigration Extends Validity Of Income Verification Letter

Exactly ----which is why investment portfolios --no matter how grand they may appear to be on paper cannot be regarded as evidence of income.

It is the dividend (ie income ) that counts !

That's correct insofar as...

Dividend income from stock investments held in the U.S. or anywhere else is perfectly countable as income toward meeting the 65,000 baht in monthly income threshhold required by Thai Immigration for retirement extensions. Along with pension payments, government retirement payments, bank account and CD interest, property rental income, etc etc.

And at the same time and for the same purpose, Thai Immigration doesn't care at all about the MARKET VALUE of someone's stock-related holdings whether held in Thailand or elsewhere -- only whatever recurring income/dividends they may generate.

When it comes to assets as for as qualifying for a retirement extension, the only assets that Thai Immigration will consider is the alternative financial test of having at least 800,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand. And by that, they do mean bank account -- not stock trading account, mutual funds, etc etc...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its funny, i do my extension at the Kap Chung office, Later Kohrat office and last year back to Kap Chung. Since they started the system with a new letter cofirming income from Norwegian Embassy the letter had to be from the same year, as in you ask for an extension in 2012 the letter had to be from 2012. I never heard anything about 14 days or now 6 months, so this is maybe something for US citizen only. Im due for a new extension i august, maybe there is sombody in here who use the Kap Chung office who can tell me if this 6 month validity has started there also.

No, the 15 day thing was NOT only about Americans.

The thing it was a VERY NEW thing and now they have scrapped it so if you never heard about it months ago, it wasn't even in EFFECT then!

It is still pretty amazing to me that they did this in the first place. As I said before, all they had to do was to TALK to some expats to realize what a draconian hardship that was. Unless that's what they wanted to do.

Edited by Jingthing

I do not think it matters what the official law decrees , it is up to the individual Thai immigration officers to decide what law is acceptible to them . The immigration officer is always right , even if the official law is different .

Document requirement seems to vary enormously from one immigration office to another . When I first was living here seven years ago , I went to Nong Kai , where there was comparatively little documentation . Now I have to go to Sakhon Nakhon , where there is a huge amount of documentation and heeps more every year . I have never been told how long before the consular letter is valid , it is ridiculous the bank managers letter within 3 days , whereas the bank statements may be earlier . I consider that the excessive documentation we are asked to provide is a deliberate insult " Falangs we don't want you here taking our ( mostly divorced ) women and giving us all this extra work ".

Edited by Rimmer
Please do not post in oversize or bold fornts

[uS] The bad part is the dam_n thing cost 1,500 baht for someone to sign it. What does other Embassies charge?

For French people, the certificate of revenues is free. smile.png

More precisely, you have to send copy of a proof of revenues to Bangkok Consulate

with an envelope with your address for return. So it cost you 2 stamps at 17 baht wink.png

Edited by Pattaya46

That might work for some that have an outreach that would be within 6 months.

It does not work for me since for Ubon it's in January and my extension is due in August.

But I would not count on all immigration offices knowing about the rule or even allowing it, Different immigration offices means different rules.

Seems like a drive over here to KK next week (Wednesday, June 12, 2013 Khon Kaen) would be a bit more convenient than BKK.

I do not think it matters what the official law decrees , it is up to the individual Thai immigration officers to decide what law is acceptible to them . The immigration officer is always right , even if the official law is different .

Document requirement seems to vary enormously from one immigration office to another . When I first was living here seven years ago , I went to Nong Kai , where there was comparatively little documentation . Now I have to go to Sakhon Nakhon , where there is a huge amount of documentation and heeps more every year . I have never been told how long before the consular letter is valid , it is ridiculous the bank managers letter within 3 days , whereas the bank statements may be earlier . I consider that the excessive documentation we are asked to provide is a deliberate insult " Falangs we don't want you here taking our ( mostly divorced ) women and giving us all this extra work ".

From what Thai people have told me, those are all separate countries, as in Chang Mai being a "country" and Udon being another country, and Phuket yet another country, etc. So since different "countries" often have varying rules for their immigration policies, you shouldn't be surprised at what you experienced.

Edited by oldthaihand99

That might work for some that have an outreach that would be within 6 months.

It does not work for me since for Ubon it's in January and my extension is due in August.

But I would not count on all immigration offices knowing about the rule or even allowing it, Different immigration offices means different rules.

Seems like a drive over here to KK next week (Wednesday, June 12, 2013 Khon Kaen) would be a bit more convenient than BKK.

Not really.

Since the outreach ends at noon I probably would make the trip to KK the day before so that I don't have to leave real early to be sure I get there in time. Which means the cost of the trip plus hotel.

I have tickets I bought in March for a day trip to Bangkok next month that only cost me about 1400 baht. Only additional expense will be getting from airport to embassy and back.

Another factor is that I am still not 100% positive that Ubon immigration will be aware of or honor the 6 month rule when I go for my application. The 12th of this month would be over the 30 days from the earliest date I can apply for my extension that they now require.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Phibun Mangsaharn this morning to take care of five items. For me, a 90 day and a re-entry permit. For the wife a visa renewal, a 90 day and a re-entry permit. Had no problems what so ever other than we arrived a 8 and they don't open till 08:30. First ones there, went in at 08:30 and was out at 09:10 with all stamps and extensions complete.. The lady that sits in front of the door upstairs as you go into the office is second in command and handles all applications. She was very cordial and eager to get the job done. Everyone was nice. Asked about the Financial Statement and what the time limit was. She stated 6 months. So Phibun in online and up to date. We had all our application forms filled out, all required documents copied and signed. I think this helps when you go in. With everything in order, it makes their job easiet and the farangs visit more pleseant.

Easier to find and marry a Thai national and keep 20 grand in a fixed account year-round. Then once a year do your annual check.

Easier, yes. Financially better, probably not. I personally was going to do the cash in country approach because I admit it is easier. And it can be handy to have some decent amount of cash readily available for special needs. But several things are steering me away from depositing that in country. I can make decent money on $20,000 invested in the USA. And if the money is in a Roth or Traditional IRA, I might not want to take it out of there. Putting it in a Thai account basically earning nothing is not a good option. As a US citizen, any amount of money over $10,000 in a foreign financial account brings up several documents you must file with the US Government, and I hate US paperwork. On the darker side, having any assets in Thailand warrants caution as does marrying a Thai national. There are an awful lot of stories and incidents about some bad scenarios

"I don't understand why so many of you are so concerned about just going to the embassy in Bangkok. If you have the income to deserve the retiree extension, you should be able to afford the trip once a year."

How could you be so short-sighted and inconsiderate? For many, it has nothing to do with being able to "afford" a trip to Bangkok. Some are handicapped and CAN'T travel - and why waste a day of your life on a trip to Bangkok when it's not necessary?

Consider the problem of swomeone in a wheelchair and requiring constant oxygen..Consider the logistics needed. My last trip to Bangkok to gwet this letter cost me 20000baht and entailed considerable risk to my health.

Sorry to hear that Harry but in the end your decision to live in the location you chose, we all make decisions about our life that can be a problem for us and not for someone else

Easier to find and marry a Thai national and keep 20 grand in a fixed account year-round. Then once a year do your annual check.

Not even near USD 20K ... just have 400k in a Thai bank account two months prior to your annual 'spousal' visa extension. Done.

I believe it's not less than 90 days at Mae Sai. My bud was burned on it. Also, not in a term "locked in or no interest" account. It has to be a regular, low interest account.

Same bud, burned again. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

For the US is is not possible for a consular officer to confirm anything other than your signature or a certification of a copy by law. It is not a local policy.

Some immigration offices ask for backup proof of all income documents. A bank book that shows regular transfers into the country is the best proof.

Yepper, For the past three years the Chiang Mai Immigration office has been asking me for proof other than just the affidavit. I provide them a copy of my yearly 1040 Tax Return.

Odd that I've been doing the marriage visa now for 6 years at the same Immigration office and every year they ask for something different.

First 3 years, no other income verification needed except the affidavit, but as I said they now want more.

I've been living and renting the same house for 6 years but only the past 3 or 4 years they want a copy of the lease. And the last two years they want a copy of the landlord's house book.

First 2 or 3 years they want a map to where I live, the last few years they didn't. Funny as one year I gave them the same map I always did but for that year the officer wanted me to hand draw a freakin map.

I tell you CM Immigration office is a 'cluster F$ck'..... unorganized, still the same freakin size when the number of people going there have at least doubled, and requirements seem to change year after year and depending on what officer you see.

Went to Phibun Mangsaharn this morning to take care of five items. For me, a 90 day and a re-entry permit. For the wife a visa renewal, a 90 day and a re-entry permit. Had no problems what so ever other than we arrived a 8 and they don't open till 08:30. First ones there, went in at 08:30 and was out at 09:10 with all stamps and extensions complete.. The lady that sits in front of the door upstairs as you go into the office is second in command and handles all applications. She was very cordial and eager to get the job done. Everyone was nice. Asked about the Financial Statement and what the time limit was. She stated 6 months. So Phibun in online and up to date. We had all our application forms filled out, all required documents copied and signed. I think this helps when you go in. With everything in order, it makes their job easiet and the farangs visit more pleseant.

Chit. sounds like a drive from Chiang Mai to Phibun Mangsaharn might be worthwhile...... 555

• 5 months later...

Sorry Joe, didn't mean to "stir the pot"!  But if the man/woman sitting looking at you across the table and the man/woman that is sitting at his/her desk in the office says it's 30 days, it's 30 days!

You can wave a copy of the letter in their face, you can yell at them and call them idiots or you can get up and shoot them the moon, but if he/she says it's 30 days then it's 30 days.  So, again, If you intend to use a letter older than 30 days, I would call and check before you go to be sure that they accept it. What's so hard about checking first?

Unbelievable, 142 posts, I quit!

This post has download of letter. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/644827-Immigration-Extends-Validity-Of-Income-Verification-Letter#entry6483220

I will still get mine within 30 days unless they have a consular outreach next year here in Ubon that's within 6 months of my application date. I am willing to risk $50 but not the additional cost of the trip to Bangkok.