New gun, security guard laws aim to improve tourist safety

Lite Beer

The only exception to the law will be cases where the gun owner can prove that he had a good reason for carrying the gun, Lt Col Akanit explained.

If someone has to carry a lot of money or is being threatened by someone, than carrying a gun may be permissible, Col Akanit said.

There my friends is the get out of jail card.

Q Why did you have your gun?

A Because I wanted to kill a rival who looked sideways at me.

Carry on, nothing to see here

Glad you clarified this for me since I am very much a novice in such matters. Can you give me a specific example where this "Get out of jail card" has has been presented? Just the date and name of the venue where it took place would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Edited by Benmart

....fine 10,000 and imprisonment

some policemen will just take the fine. no more imprisonment.

they will not even take you to the police precinct

Granted this can happen. Much like loosing your wallet in a crowd of foreigners at the local pub and hoping an honest one will try to return it to the owner. Dishonesty is not unique to the LOS from my experience.

Don't insult people's intelligence talking about fines and jail terms. We know what we see from the judicial system. Even Thai people are laughing at you and the judicial system. Any expat with close relations to a Thai knows what the Thai community thinks about Thai justice.

The question might better be asked to those in Thai prisons and not those that know it only from the media or second hand reports. The Chonburi Prison has a waiting list for empty bed space on the floor.

The only exception to the law will be cases where the gun owner can prove that he had a good reason for carrying the gun, Lt Col Akanit explained.

If someone has to carry a lot of money or is being threatened by someone, than carrying a gun may be permissible, Col Akanit said.

Okay, so you are anti-gun. Your analogy makes no sense.

I won't judge if the OP is anti-gun based soley on his post. I am, however, a bit puzzled with his post in general terms.

Thailand, third in the world, for hand gun murders! and remember these are children with attitude.

Where might we find these statistics?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is murders with firearms, not just handguns. More than twice as many total, with 1/4 population of USA (a favorite of bashers, regardless of facts) = about 8 times the rate per capita. http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

“The only exception to the law will be cases where the gun owner can prove that he had a good reason for carrying the gun,” Lt Col Akanit explained.

“If someone has to carry a lot of money or is being threatened by someone, than carrying a gun may be permissible,” Col Akanit said.

Everyone wants to blame the tool - it was th hammer's fault it hit my thumb, my car's fault it ran over the dog and my guns fault for shooting someone.

Thailand has 'Gun Control (LOL), but has, numerically, over twice the gun death of the USA - a country with 6 times the population and allows almost anyone to own a gun.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

Historically, Gun Control = Slavery...

One of the major steps in destroying personal freedom has always been 'Gun Control' - Hitler, Stalin, et.al,, all took away guns, then took over the country.

“The only exception to the law will be cases where the gun owner can prove that he had a good reason for carrying the gun,” Lt Col Akanit explained.

“If someone has to carry a lot of money or is being threatened by someone, than carrying a gun may be permissible,” Col Akanit said.

Everyone wants to blame the tool - it was th hammer's fault it hit my thumb, my car's fault it ran over the dog and my guns fault for shooting someone.

Thailand has 'Gun Control (LOL), but has, numerically, over twice the gun death of the USA - a country with 6 times the population and allows almost anyone to own a gun.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

Historically, Gun Control = Slavery...

One of the major steps in destroying personal freedom has always been 'Gun Control' - Hitler, Stalin, et.al,, all took away guns, then took over the country.

You almost had me there!

Funniest reply this year :)

"“The only exception to the law will be cases where the gun owner can prove that he had a good reason for carrying the gun,” Lt Col Akanit explained.

What is the criteria of being issued with a "permission to carry" permit if it doesn't cover the above two scenarios above? These are not easy to obtain even for a Thai.

This is an absolutely ridiculous statement, meant I am assuming, to give comfort to TAT (not to the tourists).