DLT: Over 10,000 complaints against Thai cab drivers received in past 5 months

webfact

I know people will disagree with this, but despite what the rules may or not may say about taxi drivers having to take passengers, I can sympathize with them on choosing not to take some persons to where they want to go.

Many taxis have to be returned to the depot by specific times of the day for another driver to take over. If for example a cabby had to return his car at 4 pm on a Friday to its depot around Rama 4, and he was working Sukhumvit area at around 2pm, so 2 hours to play with. Some person stops him and asks him to take them to KSR or Pinklao, there is a very distinct possibility given the traffic on a Friday evening, that he would be unable to get there and back in 2 hours, and therefore does not want to go. What should he do? give up stopping for people and waste 2 hours of fare time on the of chance that someone asks him to take them miles away? My personal opinion is that taxis should have the right to pick and choose who they take, and where they take them, especially if they have a genuine reason that does not allow them to take them.

In 6 years or so, i could count the number of minor issues i have had with taxis on one hand.

Normally that is not the reason they don't like to drive you. The most common reason is that they like a shorter ride that give them more profit.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a doubt, meter taxis in Bangkok give you the best value for money compared to any big city worlwide.

Nah I prefer the taxis in Havana, Cuba. Marginally more expensive than Bangkok but at least you get to ride in a 1950s Oldsmobile instead of these little tin can Vios and Altus.

Sure the 60 year old Oldsmobile's are old & beat up but still more comfortable. Best of all, I don't have to duck in to a fetal position to get in to the back seat like on all these 'sporty' low roofline econobox trash cans on wheels here in Bangkok.

I love Bangkok and is my favorite city in the world but the taxis are NOT the best feature. I'd say it's one of the worst features.

What are the consequences for erring taxi drivers in Thailand? I once reported a Dubai taxi driver, the poor sod was taken off the road 'for re-training' (via subsequent tel call from his Employer).

The worst I ever got taken was by a London cabbie. Does that mean England is a developing and lawless

I don't believe this, London cabbies are the best in the world. Perhaps he picked up attitude.

I prefer to read and let it go. He said it happened, and in a city the size of London, there must be at least one scoundrel driving a taxi.

Only 10,000?

I don't think I am known on this forum to be a Thai basher apart from when I go on about their behaviour on the road. But I have to say that I find the majority of taxi drivers, yes majority, nothing but crooks and cheats, that also applies to Motorbike taxis and tuk tuks Just an example, I was quoted 70 Baht from the railway bridge to the Don Muang Mansions hotel by the first two MB taxis I asked. I have just found out that the real fare is 10 Baht.

That is just one example of the many, many times things like that have happened since I came to Thailand.

• Like 1

If you expect a world class taxi service, expect a world class price!

That!

Once all the moaning is done it should be kept in mind that taxis are dirt cheap in Thailand. Heck, they are more expensive here in Cambodia.

Comparing apples with oranges is a waste of time. The truth is that they are a law unto themselves and the authorities, and I use that term lightly do bugger all to improve the service.

• Like 1

Also pls remember guys. Du4ing traffic time taxis actually lose money by sitting in traffic. Of course they wont want to take people to congested places. This is not entirely their fault. The gov't needs to fix the taxi fee problem. And ahyone who disagrees with this shouldnt waste their breath commenting coz they dont have any idea what they r talking about.

Thank you for the editorial and your view on how i should act. LOL on the SMS lingo, "coz" & "r". :).

Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

Oh yeah, and don't get me started about the taxi drivers not having change! Nothing beats that sinking feeling of being in a taxi and realizing you only have 1000 baht bills.

Though I did give a taxi driver a 1000 baht bill the other day, and he actually had change. It was the first time in my life that we didn't have to go to a 7-Eleven for change.

Actually I think many taxi drivers are nice when it comes to change. At least 50 times I have got more money back than I should. If the meter stop at 64 baht and I give him 100 baht. I will often get 40 baht back

1000bt is NOTHING to most of these people because they can just make it up on the next few fares!

I am not sticking up for taxi drivers here, but I would bet the majority do not clear over a 1000 Baht for a 10 hour shift.

Without a doubt, meter taxis in Bangkok give you the best value for money compared to any big city worlwide.

Nah I prefer the taxis in Havana, Cuba. Marginally more expensive than Bangkok but at least you get to ride in a 1950s Oldsmobile instead of these little tin can Vios and Altus.

Sure the 60 year old Oldsmobile's are old & beat up but still more comfortable. Best of all, I don't have to duck in to a fetal position to get in to the back seat like on all these 'sporty' low roofline econobox trash cans on wheels here in Bangkok.

I love Bangkok and is my favorite city in the world but the taxis are NOT the best feature. I'd say it's one of the worst features.

I don't think anybody claimed they were the best feature.

Bangkok taxi drivers are simply the worst. It starts at the airport and doesn't stop until you're back at the airport.

I wouldn't mind paying more money for the service IF it meant we could get real taxi drivers and not criminals, drunks, junkies, idiots, and a-holes.

During the protests recently when the taxi drivers were complaining of losing money, I was in Bangkok for a week. Taxi after taxi refused our fare in the middle of the day, or just demanded 200b. It's no wonder these idiots are broke and I have no pity for them. May they all end up sleeping under a bridge without a pot to pee in.

What can be said to the taxi drivers that refuse to take you? Nothing, I suppose. xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

My best guess would be just to take a photo of their ID# in the back and report them.

Just leave the back door open if they refuse the request to take you and move on, and or only half close it. They hate having to get out and close it themselves...

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What about the big knife under their seat.

Bangkok taxi drivers are simply the worst. It starts at the airport and doesn't stop until you're back at the airport.

I wouldn't mind paying more money for the service IF it meant we could get real taxi drivers and not criminals, drunks, junkies, idiots, and a-holes.

During the protests recently when the taxi drivers were complaining of losing money, I was in Bangkok for a week. Taxi after taxi refused our fare in the middle of the day, or just demanded 200b. It's no wonder these idiots are broke and I have no pity for them. May they all end up sleeping under a bridge without a pot to pee in.

Exactly why l use chauffer cars when coming and going to airport. I want to make my destination

The biggest complaints should be about the taxis that smell because the cabbies sleep in their cars or the fact that their trunks are mostly full because of the natural gas tanks and their own personal items. Sucks when going to the airport with your suitcase on your lap.

Would there not be a market for someone selling roof racks to taxi and mini bus drivers? Has anyone ever seen a roof rack in Thailand?

The worst I ever got taken was by a London cabbie. Does that mean England is a developing and lawless

I don't believe this, London cabbies are the best in the world. Perhaps he picked up attitude.
With the amount of immigrants entering the country and violence.... Maybe.... And no laughing matter, can't get a beer in England unless it is served by a pole....

And following the next 10,000, and the 10,000 after that, and the 10,000 following again, will the fine eventually be recognised for what it is: ludicrously low? Try B5,000; that just might work. What would probably work better would be to hit the owner with a hefty fine and the driver with a suspension.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

I'm waiting for the "I've lived in Bangkok for 30 years, ridden in thousands of taxis- and never had a problem" clap2.gif

Well I've been here for 15 years and never had a problem..........except for 80% of drivers around Soi 3 to 11 to 23 asking for 150 baht to take you on a 40 baht trip

Then there was the guy who picked me and my long time girlfriend up and the second we got in the taxi he started bullshitting to her about how many times he had taken me to hotels with girls...It ended up with me losing the head trying to drag him out the taxi. ( I know:: stupid!!)

The I had a guy tell me Love Scene in Soi 23 was closed at 11 pm and he knew a better place to eat......I told him "Rubbish" and he stopped the taxi and told us to get out.

I have slammed more than my fair share of doors of taxi's, wanting 100 baht and more for a 50 Baht trip.....I just refuse to entertain them.

Then when one stops and puts his meter on I give him 100 baht because I think he's a decent hard working guy

I'd give them 90 out of 100 as the majority are ok but it's that other 10% that get them a bad name.

That is unlikely to change as they are well known to the cops who are supposed to look after the area.

• Like 1

What can be said to the taxi drivers that refuse to take you? Nothing, I suppose. xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

My best guess would be just to take a photo of their ID# in the back and report them.

Just leave the back door open if they refuse the request to take you and move on, and or only half close it. They hate having to get out and close it themselves...

What about the big knife under their seat.
too busy closing the door and getting g back into the air con cabin ;) its not all that bad and they rather that then the 1000 baht fine and death sentence for killing a farang.....

• Like 1

10,000 showing as a tip of the iceberg.

Might me a problem if there was such a thing as a breaking point here...

Ahh theirs not, just waiting for my cold beer, I mean cab!

Only 10,000?

I don't think I am known on this forum to be a Thai basher apart from when I go on about their behaviour on the road. But I have to say that I find the majority of taxi drivers, yes majority, nothing but crooks and cheats, that also applies to Motorbike taxis and tuk tuks Just an example, I was quoted 70 Baht from the railway bridge to the Don Muang Mansions hotel by the first two MB taxis I asked. I have just found out that the real fare is 10 Baht.

That is just one example of the many, many times things like that have happened since I came to Thailand.

Well, let's look at this in another context.

Even if you got ripped off, you're being charged a little over $2 USD, total. The meter rings up $2.50 the second you sit down in a taxi in many US cities (and in a city like NYC, far more). That same ride might end up costing you $10 - $15.

The other context you have to consider is the fact that taxi drivers are not free to set their own fees. The Thai government, that could care less about taxi drivers, sets artificially low fares.

Believe me, I've been ripped off before and have shouted a few expletives at a Thai taxi driver before but if the government let prices float based on supply and demand, you would be paying a lot more than you are today.

I don't think anybody claimed they were the best feature.

Cape Cobra did.

Scroll up and re-read his entire post - #58.

larsjohnsson, on 24 Mar 2014 - 12:05, said:
impulse, on 24 Mar 2014 - 11:50, said:

From New York

taxi-fare.jpg

If I have a choice between a 100% chance of paying this, or paying BKK prices and taking a small chance of running into a bad apple, well....

If you belive that is expensive? Then never take a taxi in Sweden

Totally agree with you on that. I'm Danish and a few years back i had to take a taxi to the airport as i was on my way to Bangkok. The distance was 20 km and there were no traffic and it cost me about 70 USD the distance would have cost about 30 USD with the above rates. I do travel some to Sweden and Norway on Work and they are equally expensive.

I have Personally have big problems with taxies, I have been overcharged on a few occasions but even when overcharged the taxi fee is cheap. In my home city I live about 3 km from the railway station and sometimes I take a cab home if I have been out drinking with some colleagues. It easily cost me 20 USD for the 5 minutes ride home. I believe that is more than I ever paid for any taxi in Thailand.

But I do agree that it can be hard to get a cab in Bangkok. I have observes 3 occations where the taxies are hard to get.

1. Traveling to areas with heavy traffic, forexample Siam Paragon area.

2. Traveling at the driver changing time, cant remember the excat same time but I guess 4-5 pm.

3. late at night traveling to or from nightlife areas.

Only 10,000?

Well, let's look at this in another context.

Even if you got ripped off, you're being charged a little over $2 USD, total. The meter rings up $2.50 the second you sit down in a taxi in many US cities (and in a city like NYC, far more). That same ride might end up costing you $10 - $15.

The other context you have to consider is the fact that taxi drivers are not free to set their own fees. The Thai government, that could care less about taxi drivers, sets artificially low fares.

Believe me, I've been ripped off before and have shouted a few expletives at a Thai taxi driver before but if the government let prices float based on supply and demand, you would be paying a lot more than you are today.

I have never been ripped off by a taxi yet, many have tried it, I know about the knives under the seat, but no one will ever bully me. taxi drivers, queue jumpers etc, either here or in the UK.