Police too busy to extradite Mick "the Pom" Taylor accused of killing girlfriend in Thailand

Lite Beer

Police ‘too busy’ to extradite Hull man Mick ‘the Pom’ Taylor accused of killing girlfriend in Thailand
By Hull Daily Mail
By James Campbell

PHUKET: -- A HULL man accused of murdering his girlfriend in Thailand has still not been extradited to stand trial because police have been "too busy".

Offshore worker Michael "Mick the Pom" Taylor, 50, was arrested in 2005 after he was accused of plunging a knife into his girlfriend Jantra Weangta's heart in Phuket.

He went on the run midway through his trial in 2006 and was spotted in the Philippines in November.

He was arrested in the Philippines a month ago after his visa ran out.

But Phuket's Chief Public Prosecutor Chiengsean Panhya has said he cannot pursue the extradition without a formal request from the police.

He told the Phuket Gazette: "I don't have the authority to pursue it unless the police ask me to. Our office is not even permitted to ask the police to file such a request.

"However, once they do, the next step would be for us to forward the case to the Office of the Attorney General in Bangkok and it would then be in their hands to get Mr Taylor back to Thailand to face justice."

Miss Weangta's body was discovered in the rented bungalow the couple shared in idyllic Chalong Beach, Phuket.

Mr Taylor denied the charge, claiming he had been having sex on a beach with a ladyboy at the time Miss Weangta, 27, was killed.

At the time of the murder in 2005, Thai police recovered a large Bowie knife and a pair of bloodstained trousers, while prosecutors had lined up 13 witnesses, including a DNA expert, to testify against Mr Taylor.

Despite the seriousness of the accusation, Mr Taylor had been granted bail after a land title deed, valued at 400,000 baht (£8,000), was posted as a surety.

He fled in 2006, midway through the trial, which had been heavily delayed.

Information regarding Mr Taylor's whereabouts in November was brought to the attention of Thai authorities after the owners of a bar in Pundakit, about 100 miles west of Manila, claimed they heard him bragging about the killing.

The Foreign Office confirmed the arrest of a British national in the Philippines on March 6 and has been providing consular assistance.

The case has provoked uproar in Thailand, with questions being asked of both the British and Thai authorities after Mr Taylor was permitted to slip through the nets.

The officer in charge of the case, Lieutenant Colonel Danprai Kaewwehol, of the Phuket Provincial Police, insists he wants Mr Taylor to be extradited back to Thailand and plans to hold talks to prosecutors.

Col Danprai has told journalists he had been "too busy" to follow up on Mr Taylor's case.

Source: http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Police-8216-busy-8217-extradite-Hull-man-Mick/story-20940847-detail/story.html

--Hull Daily Mail 2014-04-12

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can imagine they're too busy as everyone will want to be on roadblock duty over the holiday period.

it's all a matter of priorities.

It's pointless to ask why the Interior Minister isn't all over this and questioning the Pol Col involved's competence and suitability.

I think its incredible the public prosecution service cannot request such an order from the court - why the backwards step from judiciary to police and back? If the PD was petition the court directly, then the AG can rubber stamp it (based on cost/likelihood of conviction/etc).

I hope that Phi levels costs at Thailand for the cost of imprisonment - or at least gives them a deadline before simply releasing and deporting (as he has no visa and is undesirable). There is likely a maximum time they can hold him without charging him anyway - he has only a visa expiration charge (overstay) against him in Phi.

I think its incredible the public prosecution service cannot request such an order from the court - why the backwards step from judiciary to police and back? If the PD was petition the court directly, then the AG can rubber stamp it (based on cost/likelihood of conviction/etc).

I hope that Phi levels costs at Thailand for the cost of imprisonment - or at least gives them a deadline before simply releasing and deporting (as he has no visa and is undesirable). There is likely a maximum time they can hold him without charging him anyway - he has only a visa expiration charge (overstay) against him in Phi.

I think they can hold him for up to 90 days (if Thai authorities apply for extension), after that they have 10 days to arrange to pick him up. If they don't confirm the details he will be released after this time. I think this is correct, a bit difficult to be sure on the descriptions I have seen.

Extradition is a lengthy and expensive business. There is no profit in it for Thailand at all, just cost but I would have though in this case as thy did not have to hunt him down themselves they would jump on this before he is released again.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I can imagine they're too busy as everyone will want to be on roadblock duty over the holiday period.

It's pointless to ask why the Interior Minister isn't all over this and questioning the Pol Col involved's competence and suitability.

The holiday period must be along one , Mick has been MIA since 09 , then again the DSI have been seriously busy chasing shadows in the Democrat party.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The are busy persecuting journalists for the Royal Thai Navy, that girl was from Issan anyway. You do realise that there is one law for the rich and one for the poor??!!!

Yeah ,amongst other things , we know.

How to commit the Perfect murder in Thailand commit it when the police are busy, have you ever heard of such utter total rot & rubbish too busy to start extradition process, maybe we need more police in Thailand even though it is one of the highest police states per head of population in the world something like 1 police man to every 380 people.

Edited by metisdead
Font

So he was arrested in Thailand in 2005 and escaped to PI in 2006. He has been arrested in PI last March.

Assuming Mick 'The Pom' hasn't been active in the oil patch since say 2005, he either was a really hard working, well paid, earnestly saving chap before his life went to sh!t and had a huge nest egg silted away.

Or, he could have been aided and abetted by similarly undesirable buggers.

The holiday period must be along one , Mick has been MIA since 09 , then again the DSI have been seriously busy chasing shadows in the Democrat party.

Sorry, but the DSI has no authority in the case in respect to the local police pace.

You are confused about one aspect: Phuket is in the Democrat Party heartland. If the locals don't like a copper, he gets the heave ho. Phuket is the apex of corruption in Thailand, and surprise, surprise, surprise, its Democrats in charge in Phuket.

police too busy, more like there is no money in it for them. The thai police are totally hopeles, they just dont like work, thats why they join, they simply dont want to have to do anything physical to earn their pay, thay much rather just accept cash payments from those breaking the law.

The case has provoked uproar in Thailand, with questions being asked of both the British and Thai authorities after Mr Taylor was permitted to slip through the nets.

I don't see how the British authorities could stop him leaving Thailand.

Col Danprai thinking: "Is there something in it for me? Hmm, all liquid funds went to the Philippines probably, and now the PI cops have that. Really, really doubt he has access to funds once he is here...It's just sooo much work, dig out the files, check them, submit forms and reports, follow-up, no fun at all...where are the interns when you need them? Better supervise the manhunt on those Russian kidnappers, at least the arresting officers are nicely incentivized, 400,000 baht - hah 50% for me with no sweat! What to say to the media? Oh, got it: busy, busy, busy...!"

(Maybe I am doing the good Colonel an injustice, he probably is not articulating his thoughts as described, it's more like an instinctual, basic gut-feeling on his behalf)

Sorry, but the DSI has no authority in the case in respect to the local police pace.

You are confused about one aspect: Phuket is in the Democrat Party heartland. If the locals don't like a copper, he gets the heave ho. Phuket is the apex of corruption in Thailand, and surprise, surprise, surprise, its Democrats in charge in Phuket.

The DSI has no authority.............? Total rubbish - the DSI can take over a case if they so desire. Chasing Dems is exactly what they have been busy doing.

Phuket is no more an apex of corruption than Pattaya (Chonburi), Samut Prakarn, Pathum Thani or Mae Sot.

This is a pure & simple case of police negligence (similar to the Thong Lor - Ferrari driver case) where the brown envelopes have been delivered and there's nothing more in it for the BIB.

Phuket may be Dem but the police are PTP (Thaksin) owned.

Police ‘too busy’ to extradite Hull man Mick ‘the Pom’ Taylor accused of killing girlfriend in Thailand

It's only a murder case...besides the police must have done a business case analysis and determined there is no profit in pursuing this particular case aggressively.

So if the family want justice they have to block the police stations in Phuket? What kind of useless people are employed in Phuket? Since the case went to court earlier, that means the paper work is already done and the man is already arrested. They just have to sign their names in the dotted line. It is obvious that they refuse to do it. Did the killer pay them off? If not, they would have got him extradited long time ago.

police too busy, more like there is no money in it for them. The thai police are totally hopeles, they just dont like work, thats why they join, they simply dont want to have to do anything physical to earn their pay, thay much rather just accept cash payments from those breaking the law.

And that would be Thaksin from Dubai? Naaaaaa

Hahaha

The DSI has no authority.............? Total rubbish - the DSI can take over a case if they so desire. Chasing Dems is exactly what they have been busy doing.

Phuket is no more an apex of corruption than Pattaya (Chonburi), Samut Prakarn, Pathum Thani or Mae Sot.

This is a pure & simple case of police negligence (similar to the Thong Lor - Ferrari driver case) where the brown envelopes have been delivered and there's nothing more in it for the BIB.

Phuket may be Dem but the police are PTP (Thaksin) owned.

Another quality contribution by Khunken. With people like him civil war is close.

You are a sad person.....what has Politics got to do with this thread....time for your tablet and to climb back under your rock