Rains, inadequate drainage cause Patong streets to flood 50cm

Lite Beer

Rains, inadequate drainage cause Patong streets to flood 50cm
Eakkapop Thongtub

1408174588_1.jpg

PHUKET: Rains that swept over Phuket throughout last night and into the morning left many parts of Patong flooded this morning, with some areas measuring floodwater as high as 50 centimeters.

Many roads this morning were unpassable by motorcycles and small vehicles, but officials have assured that the situation is almost back to normal, for now anyway.

Among the areas affected, with flood level measured between 30 and 50 centimeters, include the area in front of Patong Hospital; the parking lot and ground floor office of Kathu Police Station in Patong; all along Nanai Rd, Soi Sai Nam Yen, and Rat Uthit 200 Pi d (the road in front of Jungceylon); Phang Mueang Sai Kor Rd (behind Jungceylon) as well as Soi Saen Sabai, which has no piping connected to the main drainage pipe on nearby Phang Mueang Sai Kor Rd.

Patong Deputy Mayor, Mr Wirasak Kaminthong said that the main reason for the flooding is that the municipality's prime drainage channel, Khlong Pak Bang has not been draining sufficiently “due to construction”.

Nonetheless, he assured that the situation is under control, with disaster mitigation officials working round-the-click to ensure swift draining of the excess water.

Part of Patong Mayor Chalermlak Kepsub's election platform earlier this year was to solve the town's habitual flooding, by ensuring a sufficient drainage grid and dredging the Khlong Pak Bang canal.

More rain is expected periordically throughout the weekend, with precipitation coverage of 40 per cent of the island and up to 80 per cent of the greater five Andaman province cluster.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/rains-inadequate-drainage-cause-patong-streets-to-flood-50cm-47909.php

[pn]2014-08-16[/pn]

Let's think of the positive sides

+ Waterfront properties everywhere

+ No dust on the streets

+ No stagnant water on the drainage pipes, Bangla road will be smell free for the next days

+ It's possible to water ski, even if you don't have a boat. Car or maybe even scooter will do

+ If one falls down, it does not hurt as the water will smoothen the fall

+ Cars and scooters are finally driving within safe speed limits

Billions of baht pass through this place and still no useful infrastructure.  

I'm surprised water trucks aren't filling up with the floodwater as I saw in Rawai a few weeks ago. 

Edited by Oziex1
  • Like 2

My had parked my new CBR650 right in the middle of that group of bikes in the above photo from the Phuket News story just hours before the flooding. I am glad I didn't leave it there long!

Some more photos:

[attachment=279472:10565217_10152666715555799_5701282944202909087_n.jpg][attachment=279473:10419055_274689389395779_1284900627982818365_n.jpg][attachment=279474:10609598_10152666715580799_1390535752524747604_n.jpg]

• Like 2

Same, same, no-different. Grease one’s palm first and let someone else worry about the capital infrastructure later.

This area must be the longest ongoing drainage project in history.

Edited by MK1

Was in Phuket and Patong area 14 years ago..same same....and I'm sure everyone there can back up my observations...Its a surprise they haven't sorted it out by now.. NOT!!  one of the many reasons I haven't been back to Phuket since and wont go either in the near future

• Like 1

Same Same! Always an excuse..This sums up Thailand.

GRAMMAR POLICE:

Comma missing and spelling!

Should read:-

Same Same! Always an excuse..This, thumbs up Thailand.

5 5 5 5 5

• Like 1

+ No dust on the streets

+ No stagnant water on the drainage pipes, Bangla road will be smell free for the next days

+ It's possible to water ski, even if you don't have a boat. Car or maybe even scooter will do

Nice one. thanks.

Let´s hope a few more lighten up and love where they are and what they are doing!

(Er, time to say something about if you don´t like it then ......?)

My Mum taught me that civility and curtsey don´t cost a penny.

Love n let love, or is that live?

An Aussy that I admire is called Kevin B Wilson - Google?

Look up DILLIGAF!

Enjoy every day - it might be your last!

Relax

take it easy

let the world just roll on by.

be yourself

be lovely

be kind to yourself and others

just be

Oh, and stop moaning, whinging or being miserable, you can do it,

its easy.

Its not your problem........

( please excuse the spelling, it´s dark in here here they keep me.....)

(but on the + side, it´s nice n quiet)

(no one or nothing bothers me - like this sh1t)

My had parked my new CBR650 right in the middle of that group of bikes in the above photo from the Phuket News story just hours before the flooding. I am glad I didn't leave it there long!

Some more photos:

attachicon.gif10565217_10152666715555799_5701282944202909087_n.jpgattachicon.gif10419055_274689389395779_1284900627982818365_n.jpgattachicon.gif10609598_10152666715580799_1390535752524747604_n.jpg

shuddah known better!

Farang know everything! LOL

(Well that´s wot I tell my wife LOL)

Was in Phuket and Patong area 14 years ago..same same....and I'm sure everyone there can back up my observations...Its a surprise they haven't sorted it out by now.. NOT!!  one of the many reasons I haven't been back to Phuket since and wont go either in the near future

I can confirm the road area in front of Patong Hospital always flooded for the 18+ years I have lived here in Phuket. 

• Like 1

and they build underpass in front of central festival and planning to do in chalong circle too. Not overpass that is too cheap and can't be flooded 

Do you mean this One that can't be flooded? wink.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kUwkLvpNfk&feature=youtu.be

Hmm..dig a big trench and tunnel which goes under traffic = overpass? 

I can confirm the road area in front of Patong Hospital always flooded for the 18+ years I have lived here in Phuket. 

Exactly. In this days after the salon bar closed and the sunrise it was great for fishing in this or the jungceylon area.....

What no finger pointing? Drainage problem? Not problem when not rain. I always thought before you build you put in sewage and drain lines. So in case it rains water has place to go. But then again this is Thailand, and it is the Thai way or highway as most posters will; remind us. Well up side TAT can now advertise Patong as the Venice of Asia.cheesy.gif coffee1.gif Next

+ No dust on the streets

All of the above, and inland, the agro dams will all have at least another 30cm to 50cm of water in them.  Everyone was complaining the monsoon was a flop & we need more rain to prevent drought.   We sure need a slightly reduced version of that over in Chonburi area.  A lot of low water ponds around here to get people through next dry season.             Re *The Venice of Asia," above............... I love it.

Edited by The Deerhunter

+ No dust on the streets

And the reality is...........

– Water undermining the foundations of property and damp walls (unsafe, unhealthy)

– The dust on the streets turns to mud

– The mud blocks up the drains encouraging more flooding and worst smells

– The water damages car parts and encourages rust

– Should you be unlucky enough to fall over in it, then there is a danger of infection

– Driving within safe speed limits COULD happen but trying to stop with wet brakes is a hazard

Really, I do try to look on the bright side, however for the almost 3 years that the new road behind Jungceylon has been "under construction" we have been promised new drainage and no flooding, and this is just plain stupidity, lack of planning, lack of understanding and quite possibly funds going missing.

On Nanai Road, because of the building going on up into the hills, mud and debris cascade onto the road making it ankle deep in mud, and I feel so sorry for the owner of the little restaurant (Scandinavian?) for sale at the top of Soi Banzaan, because the mud is ankle-deep outside of it and nobody, but nobody in their right mind would even consider buying it.

I know oilinki's post is a light-hearted dig, however I am just so exasperated with the stupidity that is existing here at the moment which enables stuff like this to happen.

Please pardon my "sense of humour failure" for today.............and if you don't hear from me for a while, I have probably been put in a "home for the bewildered" somewhere.