Heavy rain brings more floods to Phuket

webfact

Yes, not the first and won't be the last time.

But it is the first time I recall seeing comments 'illegal buildings are blocking the drains' 'building permits given for buildings that are blocking', so it looks to me that finally they are recognising a problem and looking for some causes and solutions.

Agree, it never flooded like it does now when I live there 9 years ago!

Relating to my previous post about the flooding on the "new road" behind Jungceylon....................does anyone know what is the purpose of the approximately 1 m² "cutouts" in that road?

They are predominantly in the middle of the left-hand side of the road, heading south and they seem to be filled in with a mixture of mud, bricks and loose stones, which of course all wash out in the floods, making them a nightmare for both motorcycles and cars alike. I initially thought they were going to be drains, however all of them are full as mentioned above, and nothing seems to have been done with them since the road has been built.

So, is the weather in Phuket actually clearing up?

Looking at Phuket's forecast (from here in Nakhon) it says no rain from today on through next week? Getting ready to head that way, but don't want to come if it's raining.

Feet on the ground, what's it look like?

Looking at Phuket's forecast (from here in Nakhon) it says no rain from today on through next week? Getting ready to head that way, but don't want to come if it's raining.

Looks fine, and I would say no rain today. Windguru gives a bit of rain next days, but not worth mentioning.

Looks fine, and I would say no rain today. Windguru gives a bit of rain next days, but not worth mentioning.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a guess, but, it was meant to be for drains. Then they found that they had dug in the wrong place. The earth they dug out had already been sold as fill, so, they filled with whatever was handy (and free) at the time.

Solved.......I think!

For drains yes, although to get to the large drainpipes laid well under the road, they are having to dig down approx 2 metres (in those holes) before reaching the pipe, then get the large mechanical digger to punch through the reinforced concrete pipe!!

Seems like an ar@e about face way to do things, but that seems to be the case as they are working on them now.