30 Day Extensions For Visa Exempt Entries At Jomtien...5000 Baht

Just a heads up if you're going to Jomtien immigration for a 30 Day extension of 30-day entry stamps should be prepared to hand over a fat New Years present. The statutory rate of 1900 will get you a 7 Day extension; 30 day extensions cost 5000-8500 baht. This is from the visa agents right outside the office. Pretty crazy! Plus, it was packed out this morning and looked like a U.N. refugee camp.

Extensions for tourist visas are being processed normally.

That's possible, but I been using them for years to do my paperwork for various extensions and never any charges except for photos and copying fees. In any case, I was prepared to pay 1900 for 30 days but not 5000 (or 3000). Lucky for me I have enough time to make alternate arrangements but I think the standard advice here that 30-day entries can be extended at any immigration office for 30 days for 1900 baht is a little misleading (at least for Jomtien immigration).

Jomtien is an exception.

There have been recent reports of people getting the extension there for 1900 baht also.

One report said that if you had a ticket out of the country they would do the extension for the normal fee.

You could go to another immigration office is you have a local address to put on the application form. Perhaps go someplace get a room and get the extension using the hotel address.

Jomtien is an exception.

There have been recent reports of people getting the extension there for 1900 baht also.

One report said that if you had a ticket out of the country they would do the extension for the normal fee.

You could go to another immigration office is you have a local address to put on the application form. Perhaps go someplace get a room and get the extension using the hotel address.

Thanks for the suggestions...for me no big deal as I can just go to PP anyway as have some dental work to do there anyway. I was just being lazy and going to put it off a month...but it would have been a nasty shock the new fees if I had waited to the last day to extend. Then I'll get another tourist from my visa man Mr. Keo. :)

She did say I could go in and ask how many days I would get for my 1900 baht as it was kinda random who they were charging the extra fees and who was getting hit over the head but she said most were only getting 7 days.

She did say I could go in and ask how many days I would get for my 1900 baht as it was kinda random who they were charging the extra fees and who was getting hit over the head but she said most were only getting 7 days.

She has all the interest in saying that as she gets a big cut.

If you want to know what the office really present a perfect application and if asked for more money than Bt 1,900 ask to speak with the supervisor. One does not gets arrested or beaten for doing that.

• Like 2

She has all the interest in saying that as she gets a big cut.

If you want to know what the office really present a perfect application and if asked for more money than Bt 1,900 ask to speak with the supervisor. One does not gets arrested or beaten for doing that.

One could certainly do that but I believe in the police order implementing the 30-day extensions for non-visa entries there is still some discretion allowed to the officers. That's why they can in fact stick to giving 7-day extensions...and 30-days for "extra consideration."

In addition, a few things militated against standing on my supposed rights: 1) I need to go to Cambodia anyway so possibly being shaken down for extra fees was the push I needed to get off my duff; 2) The office was awash in people and I didn't feel like waiting around for an hour or more to get processed; and 3) I live in Pattaya and have for years and probably will continue to do so for years and have to deal with this immigration office a few times a year. Call me a wuss or whatever but I'd rather not cause one of the officers there to "loose face" and possibly have any push-back or extra scrutiny on my paperwork in the future.

• Like 2

I asked a few agents around town (soi 6, soi buakhow) and they wanted 5000 and said the same thing, go see for yourself in Jomtien if you want to risk it. I went to Jomtien around 16th december and got 30 days for 3000. I figured the agents were trying to make up for lost revenue due to the lack of border runners.

• Like 1

I am waiting for my new passport which should arrive next week. I would only need the 7-day extension since my current visa-exempt entry expires on 10th January. What would be the best time to hit Jomtien Immigration on Friday? I already have downloaded the form but how many passport pics will they need?

What would be the typical agent's mark-up to do the 7-day extension for me?

I am waiting for my new passport which should arrive next week. I would only need the 7-day extension since my current visa-exempt entry expires on 10th January. What would be the best time to hit Jomtien Immigration on Friday? I already have downloaded the form but how many passport pics will they need?

At immigration, they WILL issue the 7-day extension for the standard 1900 baht fee. If you want someone to fill out the paperwork for you, the shop directly on the left of the front door in the immigration parking lot will do it for the cost of copies (and I usually tip the person 100 baht...ask for Ruby as she's really nice).

One photo.

At immigration, they WILL issue the 7-day extension for the standard 1900 baht fee. If you want someone to fill out the paperwork for you, the shop directly on the left of the front door in the immigration parking lot will do it for the cost of copies (and I usually tip the person 100 baht...ask for Ruby as she's really nice).

One photo.

Thanks OMG, I have already filled in the paperwork and I was hoping the agents would be in a position to do the actual filing rather than me joining the melee personally. I could go back and collect the passport from the agent later in the day. Not possible?

One photo.

Thanks OMG, I have already filled in the paperwork and I was hoping the agents would be in a position to do the actual filing rather than me joining the melee personally. I could go back and collect the passport from the agent later in the day. Not possible?

Ok gotcha. Yes I think most of the visa shops around town can do that for you, e.g., Sportsmans, Queen Vic, etc., but don't know what the charge is.

So now we have an up front Exemption renewal scam. Not as bad as the jet ski, but still a scam. A few years ago I bought the 7 day extension using Key Visa up off LK Metro, I think they charged 2300 baht or something like that. I didn't mind because it saved me 1/2 of a day round trip down to Jomtien and back and a couple of baht bus rides. I though 400 baht was reasonable for their time and effort as they did the paperwork, went to the office, waited in line or whatever they do and brought the visa and passport back to me.

Interesting that a poster here says the extension must be applied for in person. check the fine print?

Just noticed the footnote on the TM7 that "APPLICATION MUST BE MADE IN PERSON"... oh well.

I think that's just standard verbiage on the form...not enforced. If so, isn't the agent from the visa shop a "person." I've been there doing stuff and some fixer/visa agent walks up to the desk and dumps 20 passports on the officer's desk so I don't think the "in person" rule is enforced.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Have immigration officer been transferred from Phuket to Pattaya?

Why? In Phuket they don't charge extras for a 30 day extension and it is granted normally without any questions.

I know that they do a lot of shady things in Phuket but the 30 day extension is not one of them.

That's possible, but I been using them for years to do my paperwork for various extensions and never any charges except for photos and copying fees. In any case, I was prepared to pay 1900 for 30 days but not 5000 (or 3000). Lucky for me I have enough time to make alternate arrangements but I think the standard advice here that 30-day entries can be extended at any immigration office for 30 days for 1900 baht is a little misleading (at least for Jomtien immigration).

. Just got one in Huahin 1900...

Actually there is no need to use the service of those visa agents. Many of them are nothing but scammers. They try to charge you a huge amount of money for nothing.

Just go to the following website: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

Here you can download whatever form you need for your visa extension. In your case it is the form "Application For Extention Of Temporary Stay In The Kingdom / TM 7". Add a nice mug shot, a copy of your passport (2 pages: the one with all your personal data and the one with the visa exempt stamp), a copy of your departure card, sign all the papers (the copies too). That´s it.

Here in Udon Thani the immigration officer charged me 2000.- THB. 1900.- THB official fee for the 30-day extension and an additional 100.- THB for copy work.

Good luck.

Edited by Maestro
Corrected link.

You are being taken to the cleaners with the so called Visa Agent It is not 5000 baht

The rate is 1900 for 30 days

Tell immigration they are scaming

Easier said than done........many people's existence in Pattaya is depending on the local Immigration.

The only thing one could do is to notify the Metropolitan Immigration in Bangkok, Ministry of Domestic Affairs or the Anti-Corruption Council in Bangkok.

The reply in all 3 cases might be...........

1. An extension of a visa-exempt is meant to be an emergency-matter

2. If you know that you are going to stay longer than 30 days........you should have obtained a tourist-visa.

Actually there is no need to use the service of those visa agents. Many of them are nothing but scammers. They try to charge you a huge amount of money for nothing.

[snip]

+1!

It's better to handle visa and extension issues as yourself! The fine-print text on pertinent form is there for a reason.