Thailand's roads: Why are they so dangerous?

smurph

'Doing something' appears to be about punishing people that get caught. I have no idea where all the money goes that is supposed to be invested in road safety campaigns periodically.

Try googling 'Thai road safety video' in any language, you won't find much. If you think about stuff like insurance, vehicle maintenance and so on, you are provoking fate into punishing you.

Buy an amulet and you'll be ok. Take school kids around hospitals to see what happens if you don't wear a helmet? Refuse entrance to schools to kids that don't wear a helmet?

You have to love it, don't you?

• Like 1

A few years ago on a highway near Krabi, a motorcycle passed us at a high rate of speed. As the motorcycle rocketed by our truck - the driver was screaming at no one in particular. Helmetless, shoeless, shirtless, his long hair flew like the black flag of doom. My pickup was going about 80 kph - he was going approximately a hundred and twenty kph.

As he zoomed by me on the right he suddenly swerved left - right behind a large transport truck. It looked like the driver was headed straight into the transport truck on purpose, like the truck wasn't there at all. As the motorcycle approached the rear of the transport it wobbled back and forth about ten times - describing an increasingly out- of- control, wider arc for each wobble. I watched in horror as the motorcycle hit the truck travelling about ninety kilometers an hour - the truck was going about sixty kph.

There appeared to be zero attempt on the part of the motorcycle driver to avoid hitting the truck. Upon impact - the driver flew about ten meters into the oncoming lane. Thank God no cars were approaching at that precise moment; that was the first miracle. The motorcycle tumbled over three times, missing the driver by inches. I thought for sure he'd be killed on the initial impact. Flying through the air he landed hard - then bounced about a foot onto the air. He picked himself off the ground and limped-ran off the roadway.

This all happened in about ten seconds. Passing the scene I looked in the rear-view mirror. The crumpled blue motorcycle came to a skidding halt - the front tire straight up, spinning off-center in protest. I couldn't believe my eyes when he got up and ran off the road. One moment you're about to stop at a fatality, the next second the guy's gone. He must have been in agony later - he would have sustained severe road rash, bruising and pain - once the effects of drugs, alcohol and adrenaline subsided. High as a kite or not, he acted like a one-off superhuman.

The huge adrenaline rush probably saved his life. To witness someone do a stunt like that and get away alive relatively unscathed - is testimony to the improbability of life itself. While he escaped getting the Darwin award by an eyelash in Thailand, many tourists drive much more dangerously than back home - if they drove a motorbike at all. These foreigners are in effect playing Russian Roulette.

Edited by seedy
font
  • Like 1

Many drivers in Thailand have developed a sense of roadway entitlement, as they expect other road users to defer to them, and smaller vehicles to give way. Motorcycles sometimes don't give way, and the results are horrifyingly predictable. As so few people seem to be learning hard lessons from excessive roadway fatalities - history is repeating itself. If you are in Thailand anytime soon, you will observe that about half of the motorcycle drivers would not be wearing safety helmets. Many baskets on motorbikes would contain a helmet, however. Life is all about choices and their concomitant consequences. A high percentage of catastrophic motorcycle accidents occur in the wee hours of the morning. Excessive speeds, reckless attitudes, a lack of safety headgear and alcohol are the main fatality factors - time after time. To survive a trip to Thailand, foreign drivers should understand Thai roadway culture, drive defensively and keep their guard up 100 % of the time.

On Thai roadways there's a potential danger lurking around every corner. Those who are prone to high-risk behavior form the bulk of fatalities on roadways. This fact is borne out time and again by numerous grim fatality reports - of foreigners and Thai nationals alike.

It seems that certain officials in Thailand are paid big money to turn a blind eye to roadway safety concerns. In Thailand there's a saying, "don't interfere with someone else's rice pot." Almost every Thai official tops up their salary with their own "rice pot." As a result, roadway safety issues are left on the backburner, or left unaddressed. The result is an unacceptably high number of foreigners and Thai nationals dying on Thai roadways, the majority involving motorcycles. The problem is, no one knows how many - and if they do, they aren't talking.

It also seems that life is of little value here in Thailand. I always wonder why so many drivers seem to value their life on a very low level. Considering there's next to no social security here in Thailand - one would assume they would at least worry about their families. Without them earning money and supporting the household income, the whole family might get into serious trouble. This whole issue is quite clearly a case for proper law enforcement on traffic regulations.

Edited by seedy
font
  • Like 1

I have written tons on this subject, but will defer to others now: Slow Thai drivers sometimes create deadly road conditions by forcing other drivers to pass them on the left. Unlike many western drivers, most Thai drivers don't strive to be considerate to others. It's part of the Thai makeup of being "klaeng jai" (reluctant to impose upon, respectful of other's privacy and space).

There's no word in English that corresponds to "klaeng jai." Thais ignore others on the road in a general attitude to avoid confrontation. It all comes down to face. Thai drivers aren't courteous drivers, simply because it never occurs to them to be courteous on the road. In Thailand, it's every driver for themselves. Judging by fatality statistics, this paradigm is fatally flawed.

In a potential driving confrontation, Thais will do their best to ignore one another. This is because there's a big risk of losing face in a confrontation. If a Thai driver loses face - there's a probability of a bloody confrontation. Thus, it's avoided as much as possible. If this means appearing inconsiderate, so be it.

In practical terms, when Thais ignore other drivers - it means they don't stop to let pedestrians cross the road in a crossing lane. They don't make it easy for another driver wanting to change lanes. To the westerner the Thai driver appears aggressive, but in reality it's often simply a lack of consideration.

Thais mainly ignore other drivers to avoid confrontation - as they focus solely on their immediate driving needs. Most Thais started out driving a motorcycle - and they didn't worry about blocking traffic or being nice to other drivers. Large trucks are frequently over- loaded to the hilt. Many trucks are underpowered; it causes large backups on two lane roadways. Most trucks stick to a maximum speed of 80 kph. Many truck drivers do pull over to the side to let vehicles pass; a quick toot of the horn lets them know their gesture was appreciated.

In Thailand, truck maintenance is generally poor. Many trucking companies pay off authorities to turn a blind eye. Run-away truck tires can pose a deadly hazard.

so often sweeping "cultural" statements are made about "Thai driving" as if they are genuine assessments of road safety -

"Slow Thai drivers sometimes create deadly road conditions by forcing other drivers to pass them on the left." - this is a good example of misinterpretation of the actual situation - it isn't actually "slow" drivers per se - that is a purely subjective assessment; what is really happening here is a dangerous speed differentiation occurring on particular roads. This is a common problem in countries with a poorly developed road/traffic system.

"most Thai drivers don't strive to be considerate to others." - this again is a cultural assessment of what is going on....many foreign drivers actually don't understand the rules of priority in Thailand and how they operate.

"Thais mainly ignore other drivers to avoid confrontation" - again just using a catchphrase to explain away a lack of real understanding of what is happening. In general this poster is complaining because Thai roads don't operate how he/she feels they should - i.e. in the same way as back home.

again with trucks - I think this poster is relying solely on personal, anecdotal observation tand hoping to apply this as a scientific point....its not - its anecdote and the plural of anecdote is not data.

One real problem with commercial traffic is again the huge differentiation between vehicles used - from the latest semis to the ancient and rudimentary 6 wheelers - the "hoc lors".

Anyone who has driven around Thailand will see the huge number of vehicle checking stations - but their effectiveness is compromised; this again underlines one all pervading problem of Thai sociey and therefore road safety - that of institutionalised bribery, corruption incompetence and inconsistency of enforcement.

one might also ask ewhy one doesn't see many foreign trucks plying the roads of Thailand - especially Laos or Malaysian vehicles......

Edited by cumgranosalum

Just 3 things,

Many roads are terrible, with big holes and also without light in the evening.

Thai people drive more than terrible, the most of them shout not have a drivers licence

Thai people go on the road when they are not capable to drive because they drink to much,to much, to much!

Vehicles, whether they be motorcycles, cars, trucks, busses are the great equalizers here in Thailand

Makes no difference who your family is, who you are related to, who you are married to, nothing matters since you are now equal to everyone else on the road so for the first time in your life you are "equal" to everyone else and are not about to be burdened with that elusive thing called common sense

There is no punishment for putting some elses life in danger, there is not even any scorn on the part of other drivers, it is all the mai pen rai attitude that permeates the society

Pass on the left at the light so you can go through first; the other drivers will enable you and allow you to come back in lane. Get in someones line of sight at a U turn so that they can't see because you don't want to be in back and there will be nothing done

In a me first society, not everyone can be first, but they haven't realized that yet

The 5 E's, is a successful formula but what hasn't been stated is that different countries have different proportions. The worlds leading road safety countries are known as the SUN countries (Sweden/UK & Netherlands). Those countries begin with and establish road safety by education. Some countries that are relatively successful, or have made significant progress have done so initially by enforcement. Basically, the initiative that have been played with in Thailand have been a weak form of education. Every country is different so the approach must be different. In some counties we begin with Education but in Thailand, the priority is Enforcement. There is no point in spending masses amount of time and money on Education and Engineering as Enforcement is very weak. We can elaborate on all of the E's in great depth and detail, and it has been explained well above. An additional point would be the controlling of advertising, including subliminal advertising. I see reputable motor manufacturers with adverts on TV showing dangerous acts of driving. These would be banned in UK. We also see actors driving recklessly (not part of the plot), not wearing seatbelts etc. In the UK 'soaps' such as Coronation Street have been used to promote road safety. I was involved in one of them over 15 years ago regarding professional driving lessons.

I have lectured on road safety and driver training matters in many countries, and presently work in this field in the Middle East. I have written many articles on the said subject in newspapers and magazines, in many countries. I have offered my services here but not even received the dignity of a response. I get asked to go to many countries yet here in my home there is no interest. We have to understand there is no culture of safety here be it road safety, HSE or even marine safety. We are now learning about flight safety being serious. It takes massive investment and commitment and Thailand, like India and a few others, do not regard it as an investment.

I read here, and in other places the same questions and frustrations. There is no quick fix, road safety is a complex subject. Thailand has been offered help by UN/WHO but declined as it requires audit and monitoring and they refused.

Edited by NangrongJ
  • Like 1

It is very good article (the link). Also one should keep in mind as WHO has also noted somewhere....There is a very direct correlation between number of road accidents/deaths and the relative development of a country as one can easily see from statistics around the world.

What is worrying is that the accidents seem to increase rather than decrease in Thailand and there is a disturbing tendency for the Thai govt. to try to confuse the actual figures by various methods.

"With supreme caution and cultural knowledge, driving in Thailand can be a pleasurable and rewarding experience."

Maybe we have different concepts of what constitutes "pleasurable and rewarding".

Edited by Pinot
  • Like 2

Given that the majority of deaths are bike riders, this is where is should all start. Strict enforcement of wearing proper helmets, strict licencing procedures, strict enforcement of all road rules. For whatever reason, police are simply not all that bothered, unless they can scam a few baht. It seems police only enforce laws at particular check points. I've never seen a policeman of the street randomly book someone who didn't have a helmet. At least 50% of the riders in Nonthaburi don't seem to wear helmets, and that figure is much higher in coutry areas. I guess bike riders are poor so noone really cares. If hi-so benz drivers were being killed in their hundreds, something would be done about it.

• Like 1

None of it will change until and unless organised measures to curb the carnage come from the top.

There is a strong Darwinian selection pressure at work on the roads here. Within 50 years, only Thai dogs that have road-crossing smarts will be alive to pass on their genes, the rest will all be wiped out within a very rapid evolutionary timeframe.

Similarly, a certain optimal driving style in humans will mean a higher chance of passing on your genes. I'm not sure what that style is - I'm still trying to work it out on a daily basis!

• Like 1

i could wax lyrical, however, it is a lot more simple than indifference to personal safety, indifference to others safety, lack of respect for any other road users, lack of respect for anyone - debatable point about except for monks and elephants-

it ignorance , plain and simple.

Thai road users is just ignorant.

edit if anyone interested in my long term project for road safety education it will be a video to the sound track of gangnam style,

the chorus will be Thai style and the video will involve a lot of families on motorbikes children grandparents mum dad and sisters all on the same one, deciding they have priority when they turn onto a main road, cross lanes to turn right, decide on counter current driving, pull into middle of lane in arbitrary lane change with 50 ton truck doing 60 kmh faster than them etc all recorded from my dash cam

at the end with will have 'driving thai style ' final lyric with dancing families and flashes to roadkill people with no sense of, just no sense of with splattered brain bits, limbs everywhere,

then the serious message - use a little bit of your brain, but not to spread on the road, followed by a cartoon hand of someone slapping the head of motorists when they do some fuc I mean thai style driving

this is my idea and the copyright belongs to me as recorded here on this website.

Edited by mmh8
  • Like 1

"With supreme caution and cultural knowledge, driving in Thailand can be a pleasurable and rewarding experience."

Maybe we have different concepts of what constitutes "pleasurable and rewarding".

For example, when you are turning right in LOS, check again, as someone will pass you on the wrong side at the last second. On highways, the gaps are smaller than back home, but I never stay with the pack long..always constantly adjusting, unlike at home..

Lots of expats will come on these sorts of threads and say they have driven all over LOS for X amount of time and it's quite safe. Ya, Ya, until it ain't.

My wife's Thai family was lauding me for driving from one end of Thailand to the other, but I don't rest on my laurels. It's okay out there until it isn't and that's only a matter of time in the LOS.

• Like 1