Rain again.

backstairs

The Phuket flight radar makes interesting viewing right now. Several planes have been circling for some time and traffic is really stacking up. The flight from Chiang Mai has just done a U turn and is heading away. Now circling over Phang Nga.

http://panphuket.com/flightradar

Seems to have all cleared now. Aircraft landing and take off normally.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got up at 5 this morning to discover the kitchen was flooded.
Rain gutter overflowed into the house.
Street outside was like a river.
Was touch and go for a while as we bailed and carried buckets for over an hour.
Now, back to normal, raining much less. (but still raining at 11 AM)

This has happened 2 or 3 times in my 7 years in this house.
But this was the worst. (coming in much faster than we could bail it out)

Anyway, kitchen is quite clean now.

The Phuket flight radar makes interesting viewing right now. Several planes have been circling for some time and traffic is really stacking up. The flight from Chiang Mai has just done a U turn and is heading away. Now circling over Phang Nga.

http://panphuket.com/flightradar

Seems to have all cleared now. Aircraft landing and take off normally.

Yes, once the rain cleared a little they got them all down.

Surprising how fast they can process flights at that little airport sometimes.

Hopefully your water tank is sealed from the top.

<snip>

It isn't, but the water outside reached to about 1/2 an inch from the holes near the top of the tank! post-35489-0-48650100-1438590474.gif

It's nearly all gone now. I might even venture out.

Maybe not.

post-35489-0-48650100-1438590474_thumb.g

It's darn cold as well. On August 3rd Phuket Airport minimum temperature was 21.6C.

Now where did I put my winter clothes?

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province_weather_stat.php?StationNumber=48565

from a guy from Finland!

I have had kind of a hard time explaining how much I suffer when the temperature drops below 24C. My fellow countrymen don't seem to understand my pain. Those ignorant fools :)

The winds over the past few days have been some of the strongest I've seen in a long time.

This morning, the wind made short work of the tree-trimming I was planning to do. 10cm diameter branches snapped off.

There has been at least 100mm rain during the night. Maybe much more, the new data will come at 10am.

Currently there are couple of planes, circling around Phuket Airport. Seemingly unable to land at the moment.

How long the planes normally circle around an airport, before they'll decide to go to an alternative airport?Hour or two extra fuel onboard?

post-58566-0-79773900-1438914087_thumb.p

Probably not so happy Chinese tourists. The flight was 6 hours late to begin with and when it was close to Phuket, the plane turned back to north.

post-58566-0-37190300-1438915961_thumb.p

Was in Boracay this last New Year's, flew into a tropical depression New Year's eve afternoon. We circled for around 45 minutes as the weather on the landing strip was rough. We did finally get down about an hour late.

Got to the bar in Boracay, New Year's night, guys down the bar were talking about their flight the night before same airlines same airport, plane had skidded off the runway ! Bouncing like an offroad vehicle ride in some field in an Airbus! I bought a round for all.

This time of year, skidding off the runway in Phuket might mean a swim.

My hotels are all but cut off on an island above the floods near to the airport. The access road is about 1 metre under water but my pick-up got through OK, other vehicles did not.

Will be 'fun' later today when guests arrive...

In a way it's good to see that the planes are not allowed to land during this weather.

Just checked the latest rain figures. Phuket Airport 170mm rain in the last 9 hours.

post-58566-0-60728300-1438919672_thumb.p

We might have to start a sub-topic re all this rain.

"Things To Do When Stuck At Home When The Heavens Open Up"

Indeed, my daughter and family just arrived in Phuket. Already 3 days of rain day and night. Forecasts the same for the next 7 days. No idea what they will do....any suggestions ( no not the travestite show)