Extreme Example: Not allowed entry to Thailand - ATM Kasikorn bank expired

Let's assume I would be deported some day due to some problems I create here, or they just don't let me in anymore due to too many visa stamps.

Let's assume I have 2 million baht in my Thai bank and my Visa / debitcard just expired and no internet banking (last time clerk told me internet banking is only for Thai residents, sounds very strange to me so I will re-inform about that).

But let's say the above would become fact one day.

How would I be able to retrieve my 2 million baht?

Though this might sound a bit extreme but with the new visa policies nothing amazes me anymore, and those visa debit cards are only valid for 5 years or so, mine expires in 2018, so it's not that unrealistic that such thing could happen. Right now I'm pretty uncomfortable by putting significant amounts on my Kasikorn bank account, however I use Payoneer (it's an online payment processor for Amazon Affiliates and others) and I don't feel that comfortable to leave large stacks of money in that account either but my Kasikorn bank is linked to that account, now if I would be a permanent resident here I would feel more comfortable with my money at Kasikorn than at Payoneer.

Hope someone has the answer!

Believe you can also have more than one card if you want to pay for it (know this is true with Bangkok Bank). But why keep that amount locally - if you are from a country where banking is safer just keep bulk there and transfer as required.

Believe you can also have more than one card if you want to pay for it (know this is true with Bangkok Bank). But why keep that amount locally - if you are from a country where banking is safer just keep bulk there and transfer as required.

Because it's linked to my Payoneer, had to change address and verify with certificate of residence and utility bills etc to have the Mastercard debit card send to me.

So now my Kasikorn is linked to Payoneer.

Now if I want to link it to my Dutch bank I will have to move to the Netherlands, register at the local government house and provide new utilitybills + rental contract and what not, but I have no plans to go back.

Obvious I could transfer it from my Kasikorn to my Dutch bank account right? Or does this rule apply that you can't wire money from a Thai bank out of the country (read something about that lately when people sell their house).

Right now it's not a huge issue as we don't talk about very large amounts, maybe 1 million baht, but it keeps getting more each month.

Dennis, Payoneer can be expensive transactions fees, and rate is set by MasterCard, which is not necessarily the best rate.

I take it you are from USA.

You might want to seek alternatives to this system

If you think you going to get deported, just beforehand go to your bank and request a new ATM card, that gives you another 10 years to withdraw your money

Actually mine is 5 years valid but good point. Will request a new ATM card every two years or so so that I have plenty of time to withdraw it bit by bit in case of emergency.

Dennis, Payoneer can be expensive transactions fees, and rate is set by MasterCard, which is not necessarily the best rate.

I take it you are from USA.

You might want to seek alternatives to this system

I noticed that in Cambodia yes, what a rip off, $10-$20 transaction fee per $500 or so and they also charge 1% from the amount that gets deposited into my account.

I'm not from the US, hence that I use them but perhaps I should fly to the US and open a local bank account myself there. That's what one of my friends is going to do, he makes approx $50k/month from Amazon as an affiliate lol, >10 times more than me, the bastard smile.png

Other option is being paid by cheque, but I changed that quickly as I'm not too fond of cheques with the clearance time and all that, my friend also said that cheques don't arrive on regular base, hence his idea to fly to the US, but not sure if that's really an option.

Edited by dennis123

If you think you going to get deported, just beforehand go to your bank and request a new ATM card, that gives you another 10 years to withdraw your money

Actually mine is 5 years valid but good point. Will request a new ATM card every two years or so so that I have plenty of time to withdraw it bit by bit in case of emergency.

If you go to the Bank and want to change your ATM card, and when asked why, Just tell them that you have problems using it in an ATM, that it sometimes works and sometimes not. thumbsup.gif

If you go to the Bank and want to change your ATM card, and when asked why, Just tell them that you have problems using it in an ATM, that it sometimes works and sometimes not. thumbsup.gif

Likely I'll cut it a bit on one side, happened to me before with an old ATM card, everytime I inserted it I was scared it would break as each time it got worse of course.

Actually my card (only 2 years old) already has problems, each time I insert it the first time it spits it out, then I insert it again and it works, not sure what's up with that.

My ATM card from Bangkok Bank lasts 10 yr I think which is too long for normal wear and tear. In USA automatically get new card every two years. I too was told I could not have internet banking but could try to apply anyway. I wrote a note at bottom of application that I would move my funds to another bank if I was not given Internet access; 5 days later received password in my e-mail.

Kasikorn is the most relaxed bank when it comes to internet access.

I got it in 2009 as a tourist.

A mate got it in 2012 as a tourist,

Both in Pattaya.

On the Bangkok bank website they state that opening accounts for foreigners with internet access requires a "long-stay visa".

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

BUT: the usual method of authorization goes through SMS to Thai mobile phone number (Thai number only).

I read it would be possible to change to a "PIN2" system? Does not sound too safe though.

A new ATM card can be issued anytime (probably for a fee).

Just tell them you have lost it.

The procedure for Bangkok Bank as an example:

1. My Be1st Visa Debit card has been lost or stolen. What should I do?
    Call Bangkok Bank's Bualuang Phone 1333 to cancel your card as soon as possible.
  2. How can I get my card reissued?
    Contact any Bangkok Bank branch in the same province as your home branch and you will have your card reissued on the spot.

Similar will apply for other banks.

Edited by KhunBENQ

since when, can't you have Internet banking? I'm on a retirement Visa and I have Internet banking with SCB and I also had it with Bangkok bank.

Since some Thai clerks use excuse X to deny service Y.

Happened to me once, "Western Union? No you cannot you no work permit".

since when, can't you have Internet banking? I'm on a retirement Visa and I have Internet banking with SCB and I also had it with Bangkok bank.

Question, Western Union Inbound or Western Union Outbound ?

Happened the first time I tried sending money with Western Union.

a friend of mine had to fly from the US to Thailand because his kasikorn card got eaten at an ATM. No other way around it.

You can possibly have multiple atm cards on a single account. Good idea to have 2 issued. If you lose one, just cancel that one. Good idea also to order 1 with your name printed on it (takes about 1 week to pick up at branch you order from) Edited by 4evermaat

Happened the first time I tried sending money with Western Union.

That is odd. It is normally because you cannot wire out without work permit on regular savings acct for foreigners that they recommend western union. Now they dont wven want to allow that?

That is odd. It is normally because you cannot wire out without work permit on regular savings acct for foreigners that they recommend western union. Now they dont wven want to allow that?

Seems that I need to add that this was only one occasion, the other times it worked smooth.

Because it's linked to my Payoneer, had to change address and verify with certificate of residence and utility bills etc to have the Mastercard debit card send to me.

So now my Kasikorn is linked to Payoneer.

Now if I want to link it to my Dutch bank I will have to move to the Netherlands, register at the local government house and provide new utilitybills + rental contract and what not, but I have no plans to go back.

Obvious I could transfer it from my Kasikorn to my Dutch bank account right? Or does this rule apply that you can't wire money from a Thai bank out of the country (read something about that lately when people sell their house).

Right now it's not a huge issue as we don't talk about very large amounts, maybe 1 million baht, but it keeps getting more each month.

Dennis:

First, more likely than not, your card will not last for the whole life of it, given the cheap magstripe they use here. My last one was "destroyed" by a cashier in BigC who swiped it until the magstripe came loose.

Second, moving bigger amounts money out of Thailand might be tricky, as Thai banks might want to see proof that the money did initially come to Thailand from abroad. I do NOT know what the limit for that would be, maybe it is also the 50M THB for which you must sign a Foreign Exchange transaction form on incoming money.

Third, I have accounts with SCB and Bangkok Bank and both have Internet and Mobile banking activated, it is just not true that foreigners can not get that. I got both my accounts and online access with a Visa excempt entry. Might be more difficult now, but it is possible with the right bank(s)

Fourth: Should happen what you describe (wish you well that it does not), then you always have the chance to issue a Power of Attorney to a lawyer / friend / family member and let them deal with the issue. Give them the card / PIN or let them walk into the bank, withdraw the money and send to you. They might ask for a fee, the fee might be the full amount they withdraw... but since you anyway can not access the money from abroad without online access / bank card, what can you lose more?

If you write that you could have too many stamps in your passport that they not let you in... I think the easiest way would be to become a correct visa instead of the many stamps

Then if for whatever reason you are not allowed for a proper visa for a longterm stay... With the online banking which should be possible to become (depending on the branch, maybe not easy but definitiv possible) you could still do something with the money and to hold a mobile with a thai sim card not sounds that difficult.

A short question, which new visa policies you talk about? Till now i am not aware about a new visa polices. Except a new available visa and the removal of triple tourists visa.. But actually when you living in the country a tourists visa would not be the rigth visa anyway.. but this another story and i think was discused many times already....