Heater conversion

dan1

Interesting to hear from anyone - I tried a few years back to get a heater unit for a Navara; largely for de-misting purposes. They are assembled/made in Thailand - as are the Vigo ones - but I couldn't find anywhere to get hold of one.

It seems to be quite a big job too - total revamp under the dash.

In the end I got a small electric heater fan from Alibaba, it's pretty pathetic but will slowly clear condensation from the inside of the windscreen

Unfortunately in weather like this and whilst driving in Northern Los, it is just too cold. THe air will remove a lot of moisture, but the cold of the windscreen glass is a magnet for moisture. I have managed a balance with the air on at 'warmest" level and the blower on but it doesn't blow on the windscreen.

I've spent a lot of time driving up north at this time of year and misting up is a real safety problem. My little heater/blower helps but I suspect it will blow after a few uses, it really is a cheapo affair.

if you live near the coast or central sounthern Thailand it isn't a problem, but in the North and Laos especially at higher altitudes it is a real problem

I thought similar this morning driving at 7AM and having to use the AC to demist.....

I was thinking about how the car they wouldn't let in and took had a heater in it....How nice it would have been....

Fitting a heater under the dash is major work but a fairly simple system -in theory - but not in application or compatibility of systems/parts....

Only alternate way might be to install seat heaters/heated seats....Very comfortable to have and use on demand and they can keep you warm for the most part....But they do little for cabin temperatures or demisting.....

Somewhere here I have seen plug in heaters for the cig lighter socket but unsure how useful → or system overload....

Edited by pgrahmm

For de-misting, open the windows? It's the moist air we breathe out misting up the windows.

My Ranger has option to direct a/c onto the windscreen.

For "heating", I put a sweater on. It'll be warm again tomorrow thumbsup.gif

You can raise your hands glass (omitted) and screws to fasten
and you can sit on a stool, and not in a comfortable seat-like chair.
why need seats- sofa, bench approach - a piece of board.biggrin.png \
and many another no need.

I remember, when I was very young in Canada, I used to have a VW-Beetle. The standard equipment (in this days) was that the heat from the engine could be directed to the interior and the front wind-shield. In order to 'survive' in the severe winters of Alberta; we used to install a small "in-line" blower-unit (fairly small affair) into the existing "system", with a toggle-switch under the dash-board which would turn the blower either On, or OFF. When that thing was turned ON, it really blew some nice warm air into cabin & onto w/s ! ! !

Clean the inside of the windscreen/windshield with a potato. ( If American? You have to cut the potato in half firstwhistling.gif ) This of course has to be done in advance. When having done so and the screen is nice and shinny the misting will be much, less.

Oops Edit: If American that will of course be the inside of the screen.

Edited by VocalNeal

• 2 months later...

You can get a gen heater installed for 30,000thb or a non gen for around 20,000thb

I know I am late to this topic but have just started looking for a new car. As we live in Khao Kho I want a car with a heater as well as cold air-con but the standard reply is "Thailand not have" even though the same models in India have heating and cooling. Would like to hear if a gen heater can really be installed as you say because the dealers say no.

In Australia every car has a heater even if you are buying in Cairns or Darwin. Cannot understand this Thai thinking as over half the country has cold weather for at least two months of the year. BKK centric?

You can get a gen heater installed for 30,000thb or a non gen for around 20,000thb

I know I am late to this topic but have just started looking for a new car. As we live in Khao Kho I want a car with a heater as well as cold air-con but the standard reply is "Thailand not have" even though the same models in India have heating and cooling. Would like to hear if a gen heater can really be installed as you say because the dealers say no.

In Australia every car has a heater even if you are buying in Cairns or Darwin. Cannot understand this Thai thinking as over half the country has cold weather for at least two months of the year. BKK centric?

Not a "thai" decision - it is the manufacturers decision and their management. The factories build cars for home and export market and presumably to save costs they decided not to fit.

It seems now that more and more vehicles are being released in Thailand with a heater. This maye because a more uniform product is in the long run cheaper to make....but it needs to be born in mind that heater/air systems take spence and often the aircon with a heater is not as powerful as one fitted without the encumbrance of a heating system as well. Modern technology is improving on this and maybe the manufacturers now believe they can cope with 24/7 operation.

Their may also be marketing reasons for this as the increasingly "sophisticated" Thai buyer realises that a heater is a status symbol - implying the car is of "world standard" and suitable for "international travel".

home market pickups have always been of a different and lower spec than their export brothers and sisters manufactured on the vey same production line...air bags, suspension, transmission emissions, lights, trays, body panels/bumpers etc all vary according to market...

Edited by cumgranosalum

GreasyFingers, on 12 Apr 2016 - 09:36, said:
dan1, on 28 Jan 2016 - 14:16, said:

I was under the impression that my Everest has a heater ... no doubt someone can confirm one way or the other..

I was under the impression that my Everest has a heater ... no doubt someone can confirm one way or the other..

It sure does :) As do most cars with actual climate control - but beware of Toyota's there.

Part of the difference was if you bought a car in Darwin, you had every right to drive it to Tazzie....IOn Thailand taking your car to significantly different climes is still a rare occurrence...however as said, things are changing....

Not a "thai" decision - it is the manufacturers decision and their management. The factories build cars for home and export market and presumably to save costs they decided not to fit.

It seems now that more and more vehicles are being released in Thailand with a heater. This maye because a more uniform product is in the long run cheaper to make....but it needs to be born in mind that heater/air systems take spence and often the aircon with a heater is not as powerful as one fitted without the encumbrance of a heating system as well. Modern technology is improving on this and maybe the manufacturers now believe they can cope with 24/7 operation.

Their may also be marketing reasons for this as the increasingly "sophisticated" Thai buyer realises that a heater is a status symbol - implying the car is of "world standard" and suitable for "international travel".

home market pickups have always been of a different and lower spec than their export brothers and sisters manufactured on the vey same production line...air bags, suspension, transmission emissions, lights, trays, body panels/bumpers etc all vary according to market...

Thanks for your info. I have not been looking at the pickup market (driven one around oz a couple of times) but the medium sedans and "wagons" below 1M baht.

Part of the difference was if you bought a car in Darwin, you had every right to drive it to Tazzie....IOn Thailand taking your car to significantly different climes is still a rare occurrence...however as said, things are changing....

Well you can easily drive 500 km from Bangkok and it is equally as cold as Tassie up here in the mountains. Imagine that Chiang Mai would be similar to here. Had to get up early one morning in February and it was 5C according to the car thermometer. Thankfully that hire car had a heater.

d reply is "Thailand not have" even though the same models in India have heating and cooling. Would like to hear if a gen heater can really be installed as you say because the dealers say no.

Well you can easily drive 500 km from Bangkok and it is equally as cold as Tassie up here in the mountains. Imagine that Chiang Mai would be similar to here. Had to get up early one morning in February and it was 5C according to the car thermometer. Thankfully that hire car had a heater.

utterly facile and pretty inaccurate answer. I have driven all over Thailand for 15 years and in Laos up to the Chinese border in December and would have loved a heater on a few occasions but there were certainly not many Thai people there - it is not common for Thai people - as yet - to drive in cold climates.

I have also driven the full length of the Aussie East coast on more than one occasion and I can tell you there is a LOT more cold wether in Oz.

also you might like to look at the number of vehicles in Thailand that ever spend any length of time in a cold climate..... the country takes a holiday en masse to go look at frost........