How does the Pranburi area compare to Hua Hin and Cha Am ?

RichardThailand

I will visit the Pranburi area next week but in advance of my visit can anyone give me some advice on this area and how it compares to Hua Hin and Cha Am. In particular I would like to find a place to live that is close to the beach and away from the busy areas. Is that easier to find in the Pranburi area?

Can anyone suggest some nice condos in that area for long term stay or reasonably priced hotels for a short stay by the beach?

Thanks

Edited by RichardThailand

Pranburi itself is not by the sea.

You should be looking for resorts/hotels at Paknampran or Sam Roi Yot.

There are choices for all budgets, simple resorts from about 500-600 baht to mainstream hotels and very expensive boutique hotels.

Don't know about condos, may have some.

The beaches at both those places are good, but very gently shelving, though a concrete beach road and breakwater has been constructed south of Paknampran village and runs for about 2 km which limits easy access to the sea.

Many restaurants of varying quality, motorcycle rental shops and kite-surfing.

If you have your own transport, drive out and follow the coast road south from Paknampran until you find something you like. If you arrive mid-week there should be no problem finding accommodation.

Hopefully you have a car - if you go south of HH you will quickly find what you are looking for - the beaches are one lovely cove after the next and probably each one has at least one or two small resorts - I think one of the most beautiful areas of Thailand and very much what you are describing - Pranburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, just keep going south...

I have not been in a few years and might head down that way soon... let me know if you find a special resort!

Have fun.

Considered this area when moving last year, but eventually settled on Cha-Am, partly due to easier access to BKK and its airports. Visited again a few weeks ago and got the impression south of Pak Nam Pran of it being one big building site - maybe OK when it's finished.

You could also have a look at the area immediately north of Cha-Am - some nice quiet beaches with a smattering of condos, restaurants etc.

Considered this area when moving last year, but eventually settled on Cha-Am, partly due to easier access to BKK and its airports. Visited again a few weeks ago and got the impression south of Pak Nam Pran of it being one big building site - maybe OK when it's finished.

You could also have a look at the area immediately north of Cha-Am - some nice quiet beaches with a smattering of condos, restaurants etc.

You seem to know Cha-Am so would you live in the area north of there or are you only suggesting that to the poster as a quiet spot? Cheers...

Depends on what type of place you want to rent. The houses in develpments are more expensive. There are a few places in Pak Nam Pran. I know of a handful of people that rent both apts and small houses. They have a fair priced rent. between 6 to 15 k a month. In the developments between 15 and way upwards. I would try driving along PNP beach road and check out the smaller resorts and find one in the 1500 b range and explore. There is a restaurant/bar opposite Villa Maroc called Busstop, run by a very friendly Aussie named Les. He may be able to point you in the right direction for places for rent. A real nice man he is.

Dolphin Bay is nice. I used to think that the PNP area rolls up its sidewalks at night. If thats the case Dolphin Bay doesnt have sidewalks. very very quiet at night. Way fewer people. Nice for a visit. I have many many friends in both places. Good luck. Have fun.....

You seem to know Cha-Am so would you live in the area north of there or are you only suggesting that to the poster as a quiet spot? Cheers...

Both - I could quite happily live there (in fact I cycle in this area most days), and it also seemed to satisfy the OP's criteria of being close to the beach and away from the busy areas. I was just suggesting it as an alternative.

Thank you! Do you rent or own there....how are the rents/range?

Pranburi is nice. I would live there but there is nothing at all to do in Pranburi. If you are writing a book, like to walk on the beach, ride a bike and in bed by 9:00 pm then you will like it.

Hua Hin is a small town and I get bored here, but at least at night there is something going on. A rock band playing, people watching, big variety of food.

If you don't need anything to do at night, then Pranburi is for you. Tesco Lotus and Makro close by.

I would start at the south side of the inlet to the Pranburi fishing village and drive or ride a scooter all the way down the coast. Many restaurants, hotels, guest house, beaches.

The road has been reworked and the Thais are putting in a ocean side "boardwalk" and sea wall which is quite nice and very long.

Dolphin bay is the best in this area IMO. But again nothing to do. Not many condos in this area yet.

North Cha Am is quite and you can get to downtown Cha Am fast which has more options.

When asking questions like this it is best to give your age. If you are 65+ and married to a Farang maybe nightlife is not so important and you want peace and quite and no traffic. Pranburi is great for that.

I live 8 km out of Pranburi 16km to the sea, Pranburi is a typical Thai town ( I wouldnt call it a dump though) you can get most things there but its NOT anything like Hua Hin, there are no gogo bars nightclubs etc or farang places.

As mentioned has a TESCO/Makro and a new Global House diy store which saves me a lot of time.

Nearby beaches are long and shallow, for lunch I often pop into Evason resort, you can walk in anytime and order.

The sea front has all been redone but its still a quiet place......how long that will last I dont know

Sometimes Ill drive down to Chumphon where there is some good island snorkelling

If youre looking for nightlife forget Pranburi but you can be in Hua hin within 20 minutes if necessary + its also good as it has the Prachuap Immigration centre there which many Farangs WILL need.

Currently they are re surfacing the road thru Pranburi so traffics a bit slow.

If you want to come and visit me pm me although Im up to Bangkok Saturday happy to give you a Pranburi tour