THE England thread

rijit

How many Brits ended up in hospital with a heart attack tonight ?    :biggrin:

You did it ! The curse has broken ! You won a penalty shoot out !! 

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Henderson very suspect imo.

Let's forget about England winning the cup, but they did well tonight.

No real creativity.

Not enuf muscle runnin into and around the penalty area, they almost swatted us of the ball at will , atm i aint  huge loft/cheek fan but thought  he rather than dier was the way to go cos as soon as dier came on we just invited them on and our midfield struggled to 'connect' with our strikers after our perpetually hit  long ball.

Edited by 3 minus 2
  • Like 1

I thought England should have killed the match within 90 minutes ... as mentioned by the poster above they sat back too much on their lead. The penalty takers did their job with a bit of ruthlessness, and even the guy who failed shot on target and was thwarted by the goalie. Overall they deserved their win and might well get through Sweden also ... it just might be their year?

8 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Its going to be a war of attrition this world cup....who has the most bottle and stamina??

Sweden will park up from the off.  We always seem to struggle with them.  

How long can Southgate persist with Dele?  He's clearly carrying an injury, definitely not his normal self.

Perhaps he should start with Rose on saturday too?  He looked lively when he came on.

I also think Walkers speed is proving a great asset in the back three.

Alli will improve and I agree not yet match fit.

Sterling is the problem as he has oodles of talent but no end product...that's a bigger dilemma for Southgate.

Vardy is no use there....better to utilise Rashford and Loftus Cheek late on I think.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, carmine said:

How long can Southgate persist with Dele?  He's clearly carrying an injury, definitely not his normal self.

Perhaps he should start with Rose on saturday too?  He looked lively when he came on.

Yeah iwas pleasantly suprised  when  walker buzzed across and covered a few times   however didnt he misplace a short ball and gave them a break which   thankfully they blazed ove the bar  think when he comes up against a REAL class  act he'll struggle .

45 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Alli will improve and I agree not yet match fit.

Sterling is the problem as he has oodles of talent but no end product...that's a bigger dilemma for Southgate.

Vardy is no use there....better to utilise Rashford and Loftus Cheek late on I think.

sterling isn't a problem really, his pace and movement and directness terrifies opponents. yeah he should score more goals but he's still an asset.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Yeah iwas pleasantly suprised  when  walker buzzed across and covered a few times   however didnt he misplace a short ball and gave them a break which   thankfully they blazed ove the bar  think when he comes up against a REAL class  act he'll struggle .

'when he comes up against a REAL class  act he'll struggle .'

I don't think there are any- Brazil or France or Uruguay perhaps, but they wouldn't be met until the final.

England aren't going anywhere unless they discover some creativity in midfield. I would certainly like to see Loftus-Cheek in the side.  Maybe we need to think outside the box: could Rashford or Sterling play there?

England faded badly last night- that was because they haven't had a hard run out for a long time.  It was something some of us mentioned yesterday.

Sweden will do exactly the same as Colombia, but without the thuggery.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Oh don't get me wrong theres always a mistake in the waiting but it is clear to see that his pace makes a significant contribution to that three.

• Like 1

Just now, StevieH said:

sterling isn't a problem really, his pace and movement and directness terrifies opponents. yeah he should score more goals but he's still an asset.

Yes, he should not be judged as a striker as such.  Possibly, the only creative talent we have, but there simply is no end product at present.

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

'when he comes up against a REAL class  act he'll struggle .'

I don't think there are any- Brazil or France or Uruguay perhaps, but they wouldn't be met until the final.

England aren't going anywhere unless they discover some creativity in midfield. I would certainly like to see Loftus-Cheek in the side.  Maybe we need to think outside the box: could Rashford or Sterling play there?

England faded badly last night- that was because they haven't had a hard run out for a long time.  It was something some of us mentioned yesterday.

Sweden will do exactly the same as Colombia, but without the thuggery.

So because they hadn't had  a hard run out for a long while they faded badly ? yet Belgium were not up to Tournie speed for a long while on account of the odd nature of the qualifying group ! can you explain that one,  funny thing is, you continually going on about the Belgium game reminds me of the Re moaners continually going on about the referendum and they also need to get over it !

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, carmine said:

The problem is that the 3 so called creative players, Sterling, Dele and Lingard ain't creating, in fact none of them are doing too much at all apart from running around !

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

The problem is that the 3 so called creative players, Sterling, Dele and Lingard ain't creating, in fact none of them are doing too much at all apart from running around !

At least Lingard sounds exotic....the next Platini lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Vardy would have been better utilised when Col were pushing forward for the equaliser as they left some gaps at the back, but he was only brought on with 10 mins to go?

Lingard was the better of the midfield as he got/gets into some useful positions and can create chances, but Sterling doesn't do it for me, and would like to see England start with Rashford and poss Loftus-Cheek because they can unpick defences and that will be needed against Sweden.

• Like 2

I'll give you 50% chance against Sweden. You're not favorites even if the bookies think so. Sweden beaten better teams than England during qualifications.

I predict a tight game where 1 goal could be the difference. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, carmine said:

Oh don't get me wrong theres always a mistake in the waiting but it is clear to see that his pace makes a significant contribution to that three.

Yep.. tbh i was struggling to work out why exactly southgate was playing him ,  but last nigjht sort of explained it. atm his poor positional sence has  only cost us  pen .? lets just pray it ends there .. but tbh i fear the worse

@OptaJoe
28 - Jordan Henderson has not ended on the losing side in any of his last 28 England matches (W22 D6), the longest unbeaten run of any England player in history. Importance. #COLENG #ENG #WorldCup 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alfieconn said:

So because they hadn't had  a hard run out for a long while they faded badly ? yet Belgium were not up to Tournie speed for a long while on account of the odd nature of the qualifying group ! can you explain that one,  funny thing is, you continually going on about the Belgium game reminds me of the Re moaners continually going on about the referendum and they also need to get over it !

Good grief! What a nutty posting.  You infer a lot.  Lack of match practice takes away momentum- it can effect both speed or endurance or both.  The fact is this was the first hard game England have been involved in for a long time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balo said:

I'll give you 50% chance against Sweden. You're not favorites even if the bookies think so. Sweden beaten better teams than England during qualifications.

I predict a tight game where 1 goal could be the difference. 

'Sweden beaten better teams than England during qualifications.'

Who? If they were better why didn't they qualify?

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Vardy would have been better utilised when Col were pushing forward for the equaliser as they left some gaps at the back, but he was only brought on with 10 mins to go?

Lingard was the better of the midfield as he got/gets into some useful positions and can create chances, but Sterling doesn't do it for me, and would like to see England start with Rashford and poss Loftus-Cheek because they can unpick defences and that will be needed against Sweden.

Kind of agree with you, but I don't really see that they have any special ability to unpick defences.

Good grief! What a nutty posting.  You infer a lot.  Lack of match practice takes away momentum- it can effect both speed or endurance or both.  The fact is this was the first hard game England have been involved in for a long time.

Nutty posting, a lot of it was what you said  !

So because they hadn't had  a hard run out for a long while they faded badly ? yet Belgium were not up to Tournie speed for a long while on account of the odd nature of the qualifying group ! can you explain that one

You seem to be going round in circles, first you say Belgium were not up to Tournie speed because they missed a game, so why didn't that apply to England ? then you say England faded badly because they missed the Belgium game so why didn't that apply to Belgium ? so which one is it ?

Lack of match practice ?  it was 9 days not bloody 9 weeks between the Panama game and last night's game.All you hear in England through a season is clubs moaning about fixture congestion  (playing games to close together ) but you obviously think it's a good idea.

Do you think that Southgate, Martinez and Deschamps would have taken advise from all their fitness coaches regarding the advantage of missing the last group game ? but obviously you know better than all of then ? ?

Edited by alfieconn

Kind of agree with you, but I don't really see that they have any special ability to unpick defences.

Well Rashford's close control can enable him to get thru/past defenders with little space and L/C seems to have similar abilities BUT only on occasions!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Nutty posting, a lot of it was what you said  !

You seem to be going round in circles, first you say Belgium were not up to Tournie speed because they missed a game, so why didn't that apply to England ? then you say England faded badly because they missed the Belgium game so why didn't that apply to Belgium ? so which one is it ?

Lack of match practice ?  it was 9 days not bloody 9 weeks between the Panama game and last night's game.All you hear in England through a season is clubs moaning about fixture congestion  (playing games to close together ) but you obviously think it's a good idea.

Do you think that Southgate, Martinez and Deschamps would have taken advise from all their fitness coaches regarding the advantage of missing the last group game ? but obviously you know better than all of then ? ?

Nonsensical rant.  I must admit I also live in fear of becoming demented.