Why Build a Terminal 21 in Pattaya? by The Pattaya Sleuth

Inspire

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes the Harbor Mall is such a joke.  I cannot believe that place truly no food court per se, no movies, no decent shops.  If you have rug rats you can take them to the top floors, other then that it si a huge waste of time.

Harbor Mall - location is in the middle of nowhere when I did a Google Maps search (near Sukhumvit Rd). Terminal 21 will be close enough to 2nd Rd & Beach Rd and everyone coming into North Pattaya will have to pass by. Tourists will hang out at Beach Rd, not Sukhumvit Rd. The old saying......location, location, location!!

40 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Have you ever been to Europe?  Most intersections are roundabouts in fact they help move traffic much quicker.  A traffic light there is a terrrible idea.

:w00t: As any of our bashers will tell you, there's a profound difference in the way Europeans negotiate a roundabout vs. Thais. In this instance, they're quite right.

See countless chalk marks there over the years indicating accidents.

A light will be a necessity.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Harbor Mall - location is in the middle of nowhere when I did a Google Maps search (near Sukhumvit Rd). Terminal 21 will be close enough to 2nd Rd & Beach Rd and everyone coming into North Pattaya will have to pass by. Tourists will hang out at Beach Rd, not Sukhumvit Rd. The old saying......location, location, location!!

What about those coming into, and out of, Central Pattaya? :whistling:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Have you ever been to Europe?  Most intersections are roundabouts in fact they help move traffic much quicker.  A traffic light there is a terrrible idea.

Do you think that only Europe has roundabouts? Have you been to Australia?

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes the Harbor Mall is such a joke.  I cannot believe that place truly no food court per se, no movies, no decent shops.  If you have rug rats you can take them to the top floors, other then that it si a huge waste of time.

Had lunch there the other day topped off w/ a double expresso at Starbucks, bought an HDMI cable in a computer shop, a SIM card in the AIS shop, and a bottle of wine and a tub of Greek yogurt at MaxValue. Glad its there; I'll be back.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 8/31/2016 at 7:30 PM, bbi1 said:

Yes at the same time they can close down foodland because no one ever goes there do they? and its next door and of course a few doors along there is that new parade of shops and restaurants , and whoever goes to Power Buy , a 100 yards away ,close that as well , terrible locations all of them . now where are my meds .:smile:

• Like 2

I drove by the location this morning.  I am amazed by the progress they have made I guess Thais can work quickly if the money is there.  I would say around one year till opening.   If it is like the one in BKK, which I heard it will be better, the place will be packed.  The #1 mall for sure.  

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

We came here 10 years ago to live full time , the traffic was heavy but not bad ,they built central the traffic now is really heavy ,i dread to think what it will be like when they open terminal 21. 

On 8/31/2016 at 9:08 PM, tropo said:

Harbor Mall is as close to the center of Pattaya as you can get. It's a perfect location and much better than Terminal 21 for locals, who are their primary target.

I would dispute that Terminal 21's primary target is locals; I think it is tourists. There is a hotel being built as part of the development and very many others nearby. Locals will go too. It will be interesting to see what parking arrangements are and access and exit points. I'm sure it isn't being built to fail.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, champers said:

I would dispute that Terminal 21's primary target is locals; I think it is tourists. There is a hotel being built as part of the development and very many others nearby. Locals will go too. It will be interesting to see what parking arrangements are and access and exit points. I'm sure it isn't being built to fail.

You think The Avenue or Harbor were built to fail?

The first failed miserably, and the latter one has so far not proven much yet.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

You think The Avenue or Harbor were built to fail?

The first failed miserably, and the latter one has so far not proven much yet.

Stupid choice of phrase from me. I think Terminal 21 will succeed. Never been to Harbour, so can't comment on it. Avenue is an OK location and I wish it well. I like the cinemas there and it has some decent food outlets. 

I see big plans in the press yesterday for the EEC (Eastern Economic Corridor) particularly the airport at U Tapao (2nd runway to be built) and a dual rail link to Bangkok. I think tourism in the city will thrive in the future and existing and future businesses should benefit.

5 minutes ago, balo said:

It will be an expensive mall , the rent is very high , be prepared to pay more then 100 baht for a coffee.

I found the food court at Terminal 21 in Bangkok surprisingly cheap. I was surprised - it is much cheaper than Food Park at Central.

They put it on the top floor, which is smart as people are more likely to shop on their way out. I suspect their business model is to make the food court cheap as a magnet. The food court at Terminal 21 is always packed with hardly a spare seat, and it's huge. Other franchise restaurants that I visited in Terminal 21 had exactly the same menu and prices as at any other mall.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Pier 21 (Terminal 21 food court) has been rated as one of the best food courts in Bangkok.

It's practically a certainty then that it will have the best food court in Pattaya. There's not much competition here.

7 hours ago, JayBird said:

I heard they were planning to pedestrianize all of Beach Road and 2nd road, and install an electric Light Rail that does a simple circuit around at slow speed for easy hop on/off with full stops every block or so for elderly and children.

Or was it a dream?

If they ever wanted to drive out the s.x industry this construction is the way forward :D

6 hours ago, tropo said:

It's practically a certainty then that it will have the best food court in Pattaya. There's not much competition here.

I agree, the question is if they will follow the exact same model as in Bangkok or make it a bit different , Central food court in Pattaya is very different from Central in Bangkok with more western dishes on the menu and higher prices.   

7 hours ago, balo said:

I agree, the question is if they will follow the exact same model as in Bangkok or make it a bit different , Central food court in Pattaya is very different from Central in Bangkok with more western dishes on the menu and higher prices.   

Yes, I would not be surprised if the Terminal 21 in BKK actually supplements the food court vendors in some way.  The food is quality and as cheap, or in some cases cheaper then street food.  So, that is a good question if they do the same here. If so, it will help that mall thrive big time.

• Like 1