Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

rooster59

10 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I'm sure they are lovely ladies, they certainly look nice.  What is important however, is not what we think, but how you feel about them and they feel about you.

The reason I am not keen on getting involved with girls from the provinces has nothing to do with whether they are nice people but more to do with the type of lifestyle I live and need my girlfriend to feel comfortable in.  

Take this event as an example (it was last year) - http://www.lifestyleasia.com/432068/viennese-whirl-vienna-ball-arrives-in-bangkok/

Very hard to find a girl from Isaan who would feel comfortable at that sort or evening, no matter how beautiful she looks.   

Yes I am sure one must be very circumspect in choosing one's companion when one is likely to have one's image posted on Bangkok Tatler:

events-slide-23TT-n.jpg

11 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Yes I am sure one must be very circumspect in choosing one's companion when one is likely to have one's image posted on Bangkok Tatler:

events-slide-23TT-n.jpg

Is that you in the center JL? 

If it is then congratulations.   

10 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Fair enough.  Although one does not need to be drinking to go out and be social.  

True -- I could have raised a glass of ginger ale but such social goings on and donning formal attire are not of any interest to me.  Many of these formal events are charity fund raisers so that persons at the high end of society can demonstrate their social conscience regarding those less advantage and that is just fine.

I do that through an NGO on a daily basis anyway so I don't need it.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

Let's start over shall we as your comprehension of what I wrote seems somewhat lacking.

Its started with you saying you read on a website that Costa Rica and Panama were good places to retire.

Then someone who knows about those places pointed out why they are not. 

You then came back and said the website you read it on also listed Thailand as a good place to retire.

That was when I came into the thread and said that if you know Thailand isn't a good place to retire (which presumably you do) then why would you believe it when the website recommends Panama and Costa Rica.    I then pointed out why you should not believe stuff written on non professional websites.  

I then recommended that you seek first hand info from people who actually know about retiring to each place (I recommended looking for forums).

As I also said in a previous post, its a pity TV no longer has nested comments, then we could see what each person said as this conversation went on.  

I'm below retirement age and so when I look at a place to live I look for different things.   I like living in a big city with modern infrastructure, a fast cheap network of public transport, night clubs and bars, high class restaurants, expensive brand name shops and fast internet.   

I'm guessing your requirements are different.

Cant hear you - nah nah nah nah.

Have moved on - nah nah nah nah.

Get a life - nah nah nah nah

16 minutes ago, transam said:

I am lucky, must admit, when I took Mrs.Trans to the UK her table manners were impeccable, meeting folk was a breeze, l can still see her walking down the Weston-S-Mare promenade arm in arm with my ol' dad (87). :wub:....Yep, I am lucky.

Think my point has been that many times Isaan ladies are catagorised, which to me is a little unfair. Bit like all old farangs are fat and smelly when I am not, plus l can......:guitar:...:glare:

Very true, there are a lot of  bad generalisations about Thai women.  There will always be good people and bad people.  Unfortunately it's not always easy to spot who is what, plus people do change. 

It's usually only the guys who've been burnt that go an about how terrible Thai women are.   

I've only had 2 girlfriends in 8 years, the first was a nightmare but it was my fault for picking her and thinking she could become something better.  

The second was perfect in every way but left me for an extremely wealthy Thai guy (and I mean really wealthy).  

I've been single now for almost a year and have seen very few girls I'd want to date because very few come close to being as attractive as my last GF.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:16 AM, fruitman said:

The big boss from Ikea buys second hand clothes. What's wrong with that?

And who will put 800k baht in a Thai bank if he knows the baht will collapse one of these months.....?? Visarun's are fun as well, plenty of great places in Asia our outside!

Exactly right - anyone sensible who can would avoid it would never put that amount of money in a Thailand bank for 1 minute, let along for at least 3 months prior to application.

And thanks for responding - I didnt see the post (one of those).

And I forgot to add to my list of reasons why I am leaving - even though I quite like Thai people and Thailand overall.  Nasty Expats.  I have had far more 'trouble' with Expats than I have ever had with Thais - in fact the only Thai people that have ever caused me problems (besides the Govt) is the BiB. As I was warned when I first came here - avoid Expats until you know they are 'OK' as there are a lot of screwed up people here.  And boy o boy, was that not true  - lesson learned quickly.   

Exactly right - anyone sensible who can would avoid it would never put that amount of money in a Thailand bank for 1 minute, let along for at least 3 months prior to application.

And thanks for responding - I didnt see the post (one of those).

And I forgot to add to my list of reasons why I am leaving - even though I quite like Thai people and Thailand overall.  Nasty Expats.  I have had far more 'trouble' with Expats than I have ever had with Thais - in fact the only Thai people that have ever caused me problems (besides the Govt) is the BiB. As I was warned when I first came here - avoid Expats until you know they are 'OK' as there are a lot of screwed up people here.  And boy o boy, was that not true  - lesson learned quickly.   

The truth is most dont have 800k and it'd ludicrous to suggest the baht will implode. I would be more concerned about the Australian @ UK exchange rate they have shit themselves and your worried about the baht? What bizzare logic

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mcfish said:

The truth is most dont have 800k and it'd ludicrous to suggest the baht will implode. I would be more concerned about the Australian @ UK exchange rate they have shit themselves and your worried about the baht? What bizzare logic

Bizarre indeed - maybe you shouldn't drink so much this early in the day Pal.

I have way way more than 800K baht - safely locked away in investments at home earning good interest.

What the hell has the exchange rate got to do with not putting money in a Thai bank (little interest and not safe). 

Get back on topic mate - and stay away from bars before 5pm.

1 hour ago, transam said:

I am lucky, must admit, when I took Mrs.Trans to the UK her table manners were impeccable, meeting folk was a breeze, l can still see her walking down the Weston-S-Mare promenade arm in arm with my ol' dad (87). :wub:....Yep, I am lucky.

Think my point has been that many times Isaan ladies are catagorised, which to me is a little unfair. Bit like all old farangs are fat and smelly when I am not, plus l can......:guitar:...:glare:

Ditto - my Thai wife from Isaan has more class and grace than most western women, and is a hit back home with family and friends (but NOT the Ex).  My Thai wife would not be 'at home' at the Vienna Ball, but she would be able fit in (if I bought her a new dress). Her elder sisters and brothers sayed on the farm and they would not be be the same I suspect - so I guess it depends on where they lived and worked for most of their adult life. But I know 3 other Expats with Thai wives from Isaan, and they are also lovely ladies.  They are certainly out there - classy and lovely ladies from Isaan - but you wont find them in/near the bars in Pattaya and Bangkok etc.

• Like 2

I also have another point to add to the list of 'reasons' why many Expats are thinking of leaving Thailand.  And I know this is Thailand and understand that things are different, but this is something that I was forced to provide and comply with - and I am not happy about it.

The new Foreign National Information Form that I just had to complete as a part of my request for permission to stay here and annually contribute over a million baht to the Thai economy, includes EVERYTHING that a hacker or scammer needs to know to clean me out financially (in Thailand). Now I may be willing to provide that information in a document back home, where there sre strict safeguards in the system and serious penalties for any Govt Employee who leaks/usues such information,  but I am extremely reluctant to provide all of that information in a single document to any Thai Govt employee. 

4 minutes ago, Bob9 said:

I also have another point to add to the list of 'reasons' why many Expats are thinking of leaving Thailand.  And I know this is Thailand and understand that things are different, but this is something that I was forced to provide and comply with - and I am not happy about it.

The new Foreign National Information Form that I just had to complete as a part of my request for permission to stay here and annually contribute over a million baht to the Thai economy, includes EVERYTHING that a hacker or scammer needs to know to clean me out financially (in Thailand). Now I may be willing to provide that information in a document back home, where there sre strict safeguards in the system and serious penalties for any Govt Employee who leaks/usues such information,  but I am extremely reluctant to provide all of that information in a single document to any Thai Govt employee. 

There is no need to create a drama out of a simple information form.

Not all sections require completion and personal financial/bank details are not needed.

• Like 2

Such a western concept - measuring one's life worth based on happiness.  Life is a struggle for rich and poor while happiness is fleeting.

My bet is that most 'expats' in SE Asia are actually economic migrants who struggle or are unable to survive in their home country.  As such, they already arrive with a negative mindset.

It doesnt matter what developing country they migrate to, they will always carry with them pessimistic outlook and unrealistic expectations.

Then there is the small but growing number of migrants who are self-proclaimed 'digital nomads,' who often wont last more than a 6mos-1yr and could care less about the local culture or country.  Most are idealistic 20 somethings with delusions of grandeur and aspiring internet entrepreneurs starting 'lifestyle businesses' (eg, get rich on the Internet, buy my course!)

The remaining tiny percentage who fit the true definition of an 'expat' -- those sent over on the company dime, now feel much wealthier than ever yet whine incessantly and complain how everything falls short of 1st world standards.  This is a trait shared among many of the economic migrants(self proclaimed expats).

Lastly, a common trait among many if not most 'expats' (ie, from white, euro countries) is this sense of superiority and colonial attitude toward the local population.  

It is this very trait that, imo, leads to so much dissatisfaction among farang in Thailand.  They often broadcast their attitude openly and receive it in kind, resulting in anger, resentment and in extreme cases violent/sociopathic like the guy below:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/06/asia/hong-kong-sadist-rurik-jutting/index.html

Lastly, let's not forget the plethora of western 'expats' in SE Asia looking to befriend little boys for intimate encounters.

Edited by nemrut
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nemrut said:

Such a western concept - measuring one's life worth based on happiness.  Life is a struggle for rich and poor while happiness is fleeting.

My bet is that most 'expats' in SE Asia are actually economic migrants who struggle or are unable to survive in their home country.  As such, they already arrive with a negative mindset.

It doesnt matter what developing country they migrate to, they will always carry with them pessimistic outlook and unrealistic expectations.

Then there is the small but growing number of migrants who are self-proclaimed 'digital nomads,' who often wont last more than a 6mos-1yr and could care less about the local culture or country.  Most are idealistic 20 somethings with delusions of grandeur and aspiring internet entrepreneurs starting 'lifestyle businesses' (eg, get rich on the Internet, buy my course!)

The remaining tiny percentage who fit the true definition of an 'expat' -- those sent over on the company dime, now feel much wealthier than ever yet whine incessantly and complain how everything falls short of 1st world standards.  This is a trait shared among many of the economic migrants(self proclaimed expats).

Lastly, a common trait among many if not most 'expats' (ie, from white, euro countries) is this sense of superiority and colonial attitude toward the local population.  

It is this very trait that, imo, leads to so much dissatisfaction among farang in Thailand.  They often broadcast their attitude openly and receive it in kind, resulting in anger, resentment and in extreme cases violent/sociopathic like the guy below:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/06/asia/hong-kong-sadist-rurik-jutting/index.html

Lastly, let's not forget the plethora of western 'expats' in SE Asia looking to befriend little boys for intimate encounters.

Good grief man, you sound like a TVF multi time banned bloke............:cheesy:

52 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Not all sections require completion and personal financial/bank details are not needed.

<deleted>?  Read the form drama queen - it asks for everything - including mother's maiden name, date of birth, bank account etc etc etc.

Sure, some local immigration officals are OK about it (same here) and they dont demand that you completely fill out the form. 

BUT the issue is that the Thai Govt has made the form up to be completed in full - and one day they may enforce that rule.

Spare me ..................

3 hours ago, Bob9 said:

When i was living in Germany i had to apply for a new British passport in Dusseldorf, on the form i gave them my office telephone number ( i worked for a large Automobile company) two weeks later i received 4 phone calls from British firms in one day wanting to sell me insurance or some financial package, i wonder if the British embassy was selling my info ? at any rate,since they telephoned to my office directly without having to go through the firms switch board i reported the incident to the company's security section.

In fact half of all expats have considered leaving the country over the last year.

We also did consider it & then decided we would leave.

We were worried because back in 2014 when we left for 3 weeks we were very anxious to get back to Thailand

so were not sure if we would like it.

I will say the first month to a 45 days we thought we made a big mistake.

It was similar to 2014 ....we felt out of place & out of step. Although we live in such a beautiful place there...

we just felt we made a mistake & started planning to return to Thailand.

Even went ahead & made our previous tenants a sweetheart deal to move back into out home there & they jumped at it.

As luck would have it they ran into a problem & we ended up staying on.

Very happy we did though because right about 60+ days into our return things really started changing.

We started really noticing the positive differences & just wondered how we missed it initially.

A few more months on & we are so comfortable & thankful for many things we had forgotten about.

So.....to make a long story short I would just say if you should choose to return/ re_enter somewhere .... give it some time.

Initially it will be the same as so many describe when going back for visits etc. (feel wrong & you will want to get back to what you knew)

I guess it is human nature to resist big  changes & stay with what has become comfortable

There are many great places in the world & Thailand will always be special for us as we have Thai family & friends.

But at this time we are more than happy with our choice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcfish said:

Anyone freaking about interest on a measly 800k for just 3 months doesn't have the money you know it, I know it and that's why you failed to make it here , it's always always about the money.. Enjoy your welfare

You are exactly the ignorant loser Expat type of person that I will not miss.

It is many years before I qualify for an age pension - I retired early and live off my own savings and I have plenty enough. So you lose big time there mate.

Why would I keep 800K (+ 3 months of 100K/mth so that it is above 800K for the 3 months) in a Thai Bank (risk heaps/reward zero) which I cannot transfer back - when I can transfer over whatever I need (and when the exchange rate is up) and earn decent interest on the money invested back home.  The interest I get on $30,000 is about $1500 a year, and although I am fine financially, it would be stupid to not keep it back home. Again - you lose.

Here is a quote from another poster in a post about the TM30. He is a genuine and real person (unlike yourself):

Having establish my life here with my Thal family, I still live year to year, visa to visa, 90 day report to 90 day report, TM30 to TM30, fee to fee, fine to fine (after all these years my wife is fined for not submitting a TM30).  My life has no stability, consistency, or security. Being unable to shed the Non-Immigrant status, I and others like me are here at the whim of government.  I don't enjoy living like an outsider, and from a basic human rights point of view it's pretty callous. It's a pathetic way to have to live.   

Yet again you lose.

And here is a quote from my first post on this subject:

Thailand is actually discouraging retired Expats, and the mid-age Guys who work and enjoy life. Thailand is making things harder, while their 'competition' is making it easier.  Thailand will always get the short term tourists and the low-lives, but I think over time they are losing the retired and working Expats.

Clearly you are the  loser type that  I referred to.

Enjoy the bars/girls/beer while you still can - it is up to you.

11 minutes ago, mania said:

We also did consider it & then decided we would leave.

We were worried because back in 2014 when we left for 3 weeks we were very anxious to get back to Thailand

so were not sure if we would like it.

I will say the first month to a 45 days we thought we made a big mistake.

It was similar to 2014 ....we felt out of place & out of step. Although we live in such a beautiful place there...

we just felt we made a mistake & started planning to return to Thailand.

Even went ahead & made our previous tenants a sweetheart deal to move back into out home there & they jumped at it.

As luck would have it they ran into a problem & we ended up staying on.

Very happy we did though because right about 60+ days into our return things really started changing.

We started really noticing the positive differences & just wondered how we missed it initially.

A few more months on & we are so comfortable & thankful for many things we had forgotten about.

So.....to make a long story short I would just say if you should choose to return/ re_enter somewhere .... give it some time.

Initially it will be the same as so many describe when going back for visits etc. (feel wrong & you will want to get back to what you knew)

I guess it is human nature to resist big  changes & stay with what has become comfortable

There are many great places in the world & Thailand will always be special for us as we have Thai family & friends.

But at this time we are more than happy with our choice.

Good story - and there are so many others similar to yours that IMO clearly show that there is a trend emerging. Expats are definitely thinking about leaving, and some expats have (like yourself) and others are underway and just waiting to finalise lease/visa/accomoddation issues (like myself).

There is also something else I am noticing, and it goes along with your observation about the human psyche (dead right too). Ever noticed that after taking ages to make a decison and buy 'that' new car, that you see 'that' type of car a lot?  The same thing applies here. Other than those who have visited home for a few weeks/month and cant wait to get back, those that go back (or elsewhere) for the right reasons (for them) and stay for a while (2-3+ months), I am noticing that the majority do stay home/there. There are a lot of stories like yours, but bugger all saying they went home for 6 months and hated it and came back to Thailand.

And please - trolls - this is my opinion and my observations. I am not saying you should leave, or that you dont have any good reasons to stay. What suits you is OK. I am just saying that the survey is correct IMO, and that I have noticed that many more expats are talking about (or have) leaving in the last year or two on TV, than there was before I arrived and in my first two years here. I provided my situation as an example - just liek this guy has - I am not syaing you should leave too.   

• Like 2

You are exactly the ignorant loser Expat type of person that I will not miss.

It is many years before I qualify for an age pension - I retired early and live off my own savings and I have plenty enough. So you lose big time there mate.

Why would I keep 800K (+ 3 months of 100K/mth so that it is above 800K for the 3 months) in a Thai Bank (risk heaps/reward zero) which I cannot transfer back - when I can transfer over whatever I need (and when the exchange rate is up) and earn decent interest on the money invested back home.  The interest I get on $30,000 is about $1500 a year, and although I am fine financially, it would be stupid to not keep it back home. Again - you lose.

Here is a quote from another poster in a post about the TM30. He is a genuine and real person (unlike yourself):
Having establish my life here with my Thal family, I still live year to year, visa to visa, 90 day report to 90 day report, TM30 to TM30, fee to fee, fine to fine (after all these years my wife is fined for not submitting a TM30).  My life has no stability, consistency, or security. Being unable to shed the Non-Immigrant status, I and others like me are here at the whim of government.  I don't enjoy living like an outsider, and from a basic human rights point of view it's pretty callous. It's a pathetic way to have to live.   
Yet again you lose.

And here is a quote from my first post on this subject:
Thailand is actually discouraging retired Expats, and the mid-age Guys who work and enjoy life. Thailand is making things harder, while their 'competition' is making it easier.  Thailand will always get the short term tourists and the low-lives, but I think over time they are losing the retired and working Expats.
Clearly you are the  loser type that  I referred to.

Enjoy the bars/girls/beer while you still can - it is up to you.

You run back to mommy's while I continue to prosper here in this wonderful country, I rest my case! Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.. What loser.

• Like 1

As always people will take a swipe at anything and anyone on the way out to the miserable life they failed to leave behind. Not a single failed expat has so far said.. I couldn't do it, I failed.. On the contrary they are all wealthy investors and stock brokers...apparently, bahahaha

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Exactly.

I was asked to fill one in recently and all I put down was my name and date of birth then signed the bottom of the form.

Immigration had my passport so all the info about my passport I had to leave blank as I have no idea what my passport number etc is.

I don't know why people make such a fuss about it.   There is nothing on the form that you haven't already filled out on dozens of other forms except perhaps the social media bit and that is optional.