Bangkok Bank Debit Card Major Problem.

For some 15 years I have had a Bangkok Bank account without any problems with an associated debit card. Perfect for me transferring money from the UK etc. 3 years ago I also got on line banking making it easier to pay bills, top up mobiles etc and check account balances etc.My debit card worked perfectly for shopping and for unexpected expenses and saved me from carrying wodges of cash around. I am used to this as travelling in Europe and use GBP/EUR debit cards and never a problem.

Last week  I paid in some money into my Bangkok Bank account through the ATM outside my branch in Lampang. The ATM accepted my money but impolitely swallowed my Debit Card. No reason! As the bank was open I went in to sort it out. Firstly they wanted to charge me B300 for a new card until I explained what had happened. Finally after a lot of form signing, photocopying of passport and visas etc with smiles from a non english speaking thai lady I was issued with a new Debit Card. I happily left with my shiny new debit card and went home.

Next day we went shopping Big C and, as usual , presented my new Debit Card. It was rejected!!!!!!!!!! This was repeated in Central Plaza in Robinsons, TOPS, the Cinema and MacDonalds. I looked at the Card Reader and it said UNION PAY not supported. I checked the card again and realised it had a Union Pay logo at the bottom and no Visa logo. I then went to the Bangkok Bank in the shopping centre and they told me they are no longer issuing Visa Debit Cards, Only Union Pay................Useless. By way of explanation when I asked to change it for a Visa card all I got was 'No Have - finish'!!!!!  I have since checked the Bangkok Bank website and it confirms their Debit Cards are now Union Pay (apparently a Chinese outfit) with allegedly heightened secrity - a 6 digit pin but you still have to sign??? However it seems noone is accepting Union Pay??? This effectively makes my Debit Card useless. I will be seeing the Manager at the main Lampang branch on Monday as the girls in the shopping centres branches don't fill me with confidence and the website still supports the visa cards.

I am reluctant to close my Bangkok Bank account as up till now never had a problem but I am wondering what my options now are. I stick with Bangkok Bank and go back to the dark ages of carrying wodges of cash around or open an account with another bank still issuing Visa Debit Cards and maybe keep the Bangkok Bank account open for continuity purposes. Also any recommendations on other banks appreciated. I currently have a One Year Non O ME visa from London, address confirmation from Immigration and no black marks (overstays etc) on my passport and a regular long stay visitor for some 10 years.   

I also wonder if it is peculiar to Lampang (bit of a 'hick' town) as maybe the good folk here aren't used to debit/credit cards so Bangkok Bank have started here as I can't believe this would work in Chiang Mai, Pattaya etc??? 

All comments, suggestions etc appreciated.

Thanks...

This seems like it's not true.

On the Bangkok bank page under personal banking debit cards, the union pay card is listed, but so are simple Be1st cards which are still visa, and so are Be1st "smart cards" which are the  more secure Visa Chip and Pin cards?

I couldn't see any indication that these are not still available, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place...

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Be1stSmart/Pages/Default.aspx

Also on another part of page is a link showing an offer for a Be1st visa debit that goes on until Sept 2017, so clearly they still exist, and will continue to do so!   Possibly the bank staff have been told to push these Union Pay cards to earn a commission?

http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/dailybanking/be1stvisadebitcard/promotion/Pages/default.aspx

183Travel.jpg

Special Be1st Visa Offers
Travel to a destination you love and enjoy double privileges with your Be1st Visa Debit card. Until 30 September 2017

Edited by partington
added link
  • Like 1

I have a Bangkok bank Be1st Smart Rabbit Siriraj card  good for ATM has a visa logo, 4 digit PIN, Rabbit enabled, has a chip - about one year in Pattaya. Cost 599 baht per year. No union pay on the card.

Edited by Banana7

3 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I have a Bangkok bank Be1st Smart Rabbit Siriraj card  good for ATM has a visa logo, 4 digit PIN, Rabbit enabled, has a chip - about one year in Pattaya. Cost 599 baht per year. No union pay on the card.

I recently needed a replacement of my Visa Debit card with Kasikorn. The new card required a 6 digit PIN.

I've read a few posts where people have been given the Union Pay debit card at "some" Bangkok Bank branches when replacing their debit card as some branches seem to be pushing Union Pay card right now.  But Bangkok Bank still also issues Visa debit cards also.  

Although Union Pay is the third largest card payment network (behind Visa and Mastercard) based on value of transactions processed Union Pay is still not accepted by some merchants.

When getting your initial or replacement debit card you need to specify the card network (i.e., Visa, Mastercard, Union Pay, etc) that you want depending on which networks your card-issuing bank issues cards under....or you just may get the card the bank branch happens to be pushing at the time.   Kinda similar to how many banks may issue a variety of "credit" cards...some under the Visa network, some Mastercard, some American Express, etc.

• Like 2

I will agree with Pib.  My personal experience in December 2016: I was clear at the Robinson Branch of Bangkok Bank that I did not want a Union Pay card. They said it was 100 baht more for a Visa debit card. It would take one week. Fine deal. The bank pulls 200 baht a year for having a debit card, and MAYBE it was a one time fee of 100 baht for the Visa branded debit card. That Union Pay card is NOT a good option if you want to shop in person or on line.  However it seems the shopping mall branch I went into, did not have such cards in stock. No problem for me to wait one week. 

I will agree with Pib.  My personal experience in December 2016: I was clear at the Robinson Branch of Bangkok Bank that I did not want a Union Pay card. They said it was 100 baht more for a Visa debit card. It would take one week. Fine deal. The bank pulls 200 baht a year for having a debit card, and MAYBE it was a one time fee of 100 baht for the Visa branded debit card. That Union Pay card is NOT a good option if you want to shop in person or on line.  However it seems the shopping mall branch I went into, did not have such cards in stock. No problem for me to wait one week. 

Yes. Also, if you want your name pre-printed on it, you may do so. Good idea as some merchants need to see that. Some branches pushing the unionpay card.... Just insist that they order a Visa logo card.

Email bangkok bank and let them know that you wish to switch. The worst case scenario is that you must pay another 200-300 baht or so for a new card.
  • Like 1

Louvre Hotels Group, the 1st French hotel group to accept card payments from 1.3 billion Chinese

PUBLISHED ON 29 NOV 2016

While the Chinese clientele represents a huge growth driver for the French hotel industry, Louvre Hotels Group, which belongs to the Chinese group Jin Jiang, announces an unprecedented partnership with UnionPay. The hotel group has become the first operator in its sector to tap into a market of several billion cardholders.

At least one hotel chain will now accept Union Pay in Thailand. Visa logo would be my choice. 

An update to my original posting and thanks for all the constructive replies.

I went to the main branch of Bangkok Bank in Lampang on Tuesday (Monday was a holiday - Constitution day) and spoke to the Manager.He confirmed they only had Union Pay cards and showed me the entire stock of cards! I explained that no one accepts Union Pay, Big C, Robinsons, Tops, SFC Cinema, Macdonalds ..etc - His reply "maybe in the future, a year or two they will accept". All Union Pay and suggested I call 1333 as they are are still issuing Visa cards?? A lot of phone options and tinny music later I spoke to Customer Services. He said they only have Union Pay and cannot issue Visa (No Have - Finish). Then Quote, (which I think slipped out in error when I explained how useless it was for me, especially in Europe as UK LINK has now withdrawn Union Pay and Europe does not even accept it.)  " Union Pay is cheaper for the bank"  and he was completely indifferent to the problem. I believe Bangkok Bank are bulldozing their way ignoring their global customers and working on the theory their Thai customers prefer to use cash and the bank makes more money.

Obviously Bangkok Bank is the one to avoid if you want a useful Debit / Credit card.

I would be interested to hear of any other members experiences.

Thanks Balo, I will be checking out Kasikorn.

Singhaman    

• Like 1

On 14/12/2016 at 10:36 PM, samsensam said:

why didnt you ask them to retrieve your card from the machine that swallowed it?

On 14/12/2016 at 5:26 PM, JimGant said:

Why didn't you have them open the machine and retrieve your card?

Yes that was the first thing I did!!!!!!!! Staff said " We do not have Key to access machine and security finish" (I think destroy) "all retained cards" fxxxxxxxx useless.

On 12/15/2016 at 10:54 PM, Singhaman said:

Same thing happened to me about 6 months ago.  Wife organized a replacement card for me, I swung by our Bangkok Branch branch a few hours later to sign the forms and pick up it up.... presented with a Union Pay card.   Tested it in the ATM outside the branch, it worked, but discovered it did not work at other Bangkok Bank ATMs I use frequently.  Went back 2 days later, got the annoying run around but  finally walked out of there with a new Visa logo Rabbit card, which has worked as advertised.

I normally use cash and the UnionPay card has worked in every ATM I have tried to obtain money from without issues.  The only payment I normally charge to card is hospital and have not had any issues using at Bangkok Hospital (although another hospital did not seem to know how to process and bill was low so payed in cash).  But suspect if you are a card user it would not be a good experience - even when they know how to use you have to punch in PIN and then sign slip.  But expect security is a lot better as nobody seems to check signatures here.  

The OP mentioned a list of places that his UnionPay card was not accepted.   One of those places was Tops.

I can confirm that just an hour ago the wife and I bought some groceries at the Tops in the Central Pinklao Mall (in Bangkok) and after the wife paid using her Mastercard credit card, she asked the checkout clerk if they accept UnionPay cards.  The answer was no they do not.  

I also looked closely for signage saying what cards they accepted and all signage was for Visa and Mastercard only.

I can't say if  not accepting UnionPay applies to all Tops stores or just that Tops store we used...and the Tops store the OP used.   But if I was a betting man I would bet it applies to all Tops stores.  I expect they will accept UnionPay in the future but at what point in the future I couldn't say (guess).  

Lost my Be 1st Debit Card on my personal account, the bank could only offer me Union Pay.

Closed my joint account with wife there and opened one with her at GSB, but they won't issue cards on joint accounts and won't issue cards to foreigners.

Which bank will give me an account with Visa card I can use to shop online and use abroad as well as online banking? I have Non-Imm B visa with work permit and a yellow book for the house.

On 12/15/2016 at 7:54 AM, Singhaman said:

Yes that was the first thing I did!!!!!!!! Staff said " We do not have Key to access machine and security finish" (I think destroy) "all retained cards" fxxxxxxxx useless.

Same rhetoric when it happened to me here in the USA.  Once I simply took too long to pull out my card!  I was arranging the money in my wallet and I took too long and the machine swallowed it.  The next morning I went to the bank and the manager was there and he had access to the machine and he also could check some sort of log that shows why the card was retained.  No doubt some reasons will NOT allow them to return the card, liens, negative balances or whatever.  I would not be surprised if the Thai bank personnel did not have access to the machine.  But I also doubt they removed the card that quickly unless they got to the machine before you did.

On 12/28/2016 at 2:02 PM, naboo said:

Lost my Be 1st Debit Card on my personal account, the bank could only offer me Union Pay.

Closed my joint account with wife there and opened one with her at GSB, but they won't issue cards on joint accounts and won't issue cards to foreigners.

Which bank will give me an account with Visa card I can use to shop online and use abroad as well as online banking? I have Non-Imm B visa with work permit and a yellow book for the house.

Went with Siam Commercial Bank.

After 8 years banking with Bangkok Bank, it was refreshing to receive proper service. By the time I walked out of the branch, I had:

Savings account with passbook

Mastercard Debit card (200B/year)

SMS Alerts (199B/year)

The SCB Easy App installed on my phone, favourite payments to my credit card and phone set up

Username and password set up for online banking

The only thing they could not do was complete the set up for using the card online, I need to activate it myself when making my first purchase.

Compare that Bangkok Bank, account and passbook OK.

Union Pay card, no thanks, some branches apparently can get you a Visa card, in 7 days, no thank you.

Bangkok Bank fee for card and sms alerts totals 80B more than SCB annually.

You want online banking? Go to the ATM, maybe you will get your passcode next month in the post. Didn't get it? Sorry, you already requested it, cannot help.

SCB gave me sweets and drinks too.

I got my new B First debit card with six digest no .No charge. Never heard of the Thai or Union Pay Lo goes,what are they used for that's over my Visa Platinum Credit one,I'm not well up on Cardy Stuff .? BK B have been fine with me,no complaints plus they don't let anyone jump cue and push in like Krungthai do

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

14 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

I got my new B First debit card with six digest no .No charge. Never heard of the Thai or Union Pay Lo goes,what are they used for that's over my Visa Platinum Credit one,I'm not well up on Cardy Stuff .? BK B have been fine with me,no complaints plus they don't let anyone jump cue and push in like Krungthai do

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Previously B1st cards were linked to Visa which is accepted as payment by almost all merchants that accept cards in Thailand.  But now the item they push is a card linked to UnionPay which most merchants do not accept - and even those that do often do not know how to process.  It is a large system because it is the normal system in China - but outside of China it has not made enough progress to be considered in the league with Visa or Master Card or even some others.  

So if you want security it is probably good as requires both signature and PIN to use at point of sale and can be used as ATM card in most machines without issues.  But if you want to pay local merchants it is almost useless at present.  I have no problem using at Bangkok Hospital (but expect that is because they work with Bangkok Bank system).  

• 1 year later...

My China Construction Bank ATM was Union Pay.  I had no idea that it might work in Thailand when I returned last July.  I didn't get a new Bangkok Bank card because I wanted to keep a VISA card.

Yesterday, there were four debits on my card, one hour apart, and I didn't make them. If I understood the service rep. correctly, I learned two things: Union Pay is more secure, and the new cards are both Union Pay and Master Card. I'll know for sure later this morning.