Which is your favorite Pattaya shopping center?

Sarahg

It's the opening days time and I'm sure that things will calm down before long, or even already. I was actually there later last night and there was none of that opening day show stuff going on! Of course they'll have special events that are loud. Thais love that and like I said I see this mall as mostly for Thais, in a good way. 

BTW, evidence that this is targeted mostly at Thais that I saw was largely a feeling and also noticing that the Thai staff at a number of places there were much less likely to speak any English compared to Central Pattaya Beach, the nature of the Thai food in the budget food court (better), and the fact that a number of places had THAI ONLY menus, something you don't see at Central Pattaya Beach. Also the emphasis on Japanese (and Korean places) ... very modern Thai. 

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a killer deal in BananaIT there today.

Was shopping for a combined Christmas/birthday gift for one of my kids, a Samsung J7 Prime smart phone.

List price at all the shops I checked; 9900 baht but an option for a special Sim card and it will cost 7700 baht but then this Sim will cost 6xx baht per month for a mandatory 3 month subscription.

I said no thanks on the Sim and put 10K baht on the table.

She gave me 600 baht back and told me, opening promotion and then she started putting small boxes next to the phone as follows:

She gave me a 10.000mAh battery bank, a mini speaker and of all things; a selfie stick to fit the phone on, a 32GB mini sd card (she fitted it in the phone for me) and a plastic cup/glass, she said good when drinking beer, ha-ha.

So instead of one gift I ended up with 4 for my teenage kid, so a good day of shopping for me, I am keeping the beer cup, LOL.

funny that as I bought my wife a Samsung J7 smartphone in the shopping mall in central festival

pattaya they were advertised at 7900 baht in power buy but we went to the "Numchai" Samsung shop and got all the extra's plus we were assured the memory was 48GB

I have spoken to two friends who also got exactly the same deal for the same price ?  7900 baht.

1 hour ago, zoza said:

funny that as I bought my wife a Samsung J7 smartphone in the shopping mall in central festival

pattaya they were advertised at 7900 baht in power buy but we went to the "Numchai" Samsung shop and got all the extra's plus we were assured the memory was 48GB

I have spoken to two friends who also got exactly the same deal for the same price ?  7900 baht.

Yes funny, ha-ha.

Did you get the prime? They have a couple of different J7's, one is 2gb ram and the prime is 3gb.

Well I checked several shopping centers and this was the best deal I could find, perhaps I should had checked more, hmm. 

I agree about the noisey promotion near the food court yesterday. That was something else! But to be expected. That actually hurt my ears!

My 'go to' mall will always probably be Big C extra for shopping and Fuji and Black Canyon.

I like Harbor for Au Bon pain and a quiet bit of shopping! Some good deals on bits and pieces on the IT floors.

Central Pattaya Beach for movies and the department store for some bits.

The new Central Marina probably for a food court stop and there are a fair few different shops there than last time, with more to come. Also, interested to see how the smaller food building turns out.

I agree about the noisey promotion near the food court yesterday. That was something else! But to be expected. That actually hurt my ears!

My 'go to' mall will always probably be Big C extra for shopping and Fuji and Black Canyon.

I like Harbor for Au Bon pain and a quiet bit of shopping! Some good deals on bits and pieces on the IT floors.

Central Pattaya Beach for movies and the department store for some bits.

The new Central Marina probably for a food court stop and there are a fair few different shops there than last time, with more to come. Also, interested to see how the smaller food building turns out.

Royal Garden very occasionally.

Bring on T21!!

4 hours ago, ROBINPATTAYA said:

The whole place was far too noisy for me with the loud piped music & the shrills of the ladies flogging whatever outside every second shop. I really was happy to leave but respect everyone's alternative opinion.

Just expressing my point of view about the place, couldn't get out quick enough.

You just landed ? All malls are noisy, and especailly during opening.

Nothing special about this mall, not even the food court that has 10% of what is available at Central, but it looks nice inside and BigC has now improved since Central bought it and will upgrade all bigcs to bigxtra (or at least offer more imported food).

2 hours ago, zoza said:

It seems that you do not understand the concept of RAM and storage space ?

Of course no phone has 48gb of RAM but 8gb, and 48gb is the free micro sd card that they offer.

Anyway this phone is old and has reached end of life. It is also of course cheaper on Lazada.

3 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I got a killer deal in BananaIT there today.

Was shopping for a combined Christmas/birthday gift for one of my kids, a Samsung J7 Prime smart phone.

List price at all the shops I checked; 9900 baht but an option for a special Sim card and it will cost 7700 baht but then this Sim will cost 6xx baht per month for a mandatory 3 month subscription.

I said no thanks on the Sim and put 10K baht on the table.

She gave me 600 baht back and told me, opening promotion and then she started putting small boxes next to the phone as follows:

She gave me a 10.000mAh battery bank, a mini speaker and of all things; a selfie stick to fit the phone on, a 32GB mini sd card (she fitted it in the phone for me) and a plastic cup/glass, she said good when drinking beer, ha-ha.

So instead of one gift I ended up with 4 for my teenage kid, so a good day of shopping for me, I am keeping the beer cup, LOL.

You were ready to buy 9000 an old phone that costs 7000+ anywhere else ?

We do not have the same concept of shopping...

4 minutes ago, amjamj said:

where do I purchase a J7 prime for Bt.7000 ?

cheapest Ive seen it is Bt.9,200

1 hour ago, amjamj said:

Really? The J7 prime was launched in September 2017, again as I said there are 2 types of J7's on the market, J7 prime being the new one.

20% off at Cafe 35 is good for now , but I was not impressed by their coffee today. New espresso machine but the lady struggled with my hot cappuccino .  Maybe the food is better. 

Edited by balo

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2016 at 3:34 PM, newnative said:

My favorite is Central Festival, though I like Harbor, too.  I can tell you why some Bangkokians flock to Pattaya's shopping centers on weekends.  My partner's sister and her husband live in BKK and work at banks.  They leave for work around 5:30AM and get home, exhausted, around 7:30 or 8PM, sometimes later, depending on the traffic.  By the time they unwind a bit and get some dinner, watch a little tv, it's time for bed and start the whole rat race again in the morning.  Good luck finding time to do anything more than essential shopping.  When they sometimes visit us on a weekend, they're off to hit the malls first thing.  They love that the malls are so easy to get to compared to BKK. They can easily hit the outlets, Central Festival, and Royal Garden and they usually come back loaded down with things like shoes, clothes, and so on that they don't have time to shop for during their busy weeks.  We complain about the traffic but it's a breeze compared to BKK and Pattaya is fairly compact with a lot of the shopping choices not far from each other.

they usually come back loaded down with things like shoes, clothes, and so on that they don't have time to shop for during their busy weeks.

OK that takes care of one weekend, but why do they keep going back?

BTW, I don't care how long it takes to get to the malls in Bkk, it can't possibly take longer than going all the way to Pattaya. There are big malls all over Bkk, not just in the center.

Edited by Rimmer
Off topic removed

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

they usually come back loaded down with things like shoes, clothes, and so on that they don't have time to shop for during their busy weeks.

OK that takes care of one weekend, but why do they keep going back?

BTW, I don't care how long it takes to get to the malls in Bkk, it can't possibly take longer than going all the way to Pattaya. There are big malls all over Bkk, not just in the center.

Yikes.  I never said my relatives come to Pattaya all the time to shop.  And, of course they don't trek to Pattaya JUST to shop--good grief.  I guess when you post you have to make sure you give every single detail because otherwise you will get responses like yours.  So, once again with feeling. I have Bangkok relatives. They work very long hours during the week, leaving very early and coming home late.  Maybe 6 or 8 weekends a year they come to Pattaya to visit us.  We socialize, go out to the restaurants, catch up, etc.  A lot of talking and eating.  While they are here they like to go to the malls because they can hit the outlets, Central Festival, Royal Garden, Harbor, etc. very easily since it's just a short distance to all of them.  And, soon there will be Terminal 21, which will also be close.  Of course there are malls in BKK and of course they shop at some of them but when they are in Pattaya it's  a breeze to shop and they have the time to shop because, being away, they aren't tied down with all the usual weekend things--washing the car, doing the laundry, cleaning the house, getting groceries, , etc.   We're lucky to live in a fairly compact city.

My simple wish for any store or restaurant in the tourist town of Pattaya: 1) train your staff on how to wait on the customer & you do not stand around looking at your phone or slurping down your ma-ma noodles behind the cashier counter 2) the international language is English in Pattaya catering to many nationalities- give your promising staff a basic English course on basic English words 3) Give your experienced staff an incentive to stay- bonus after staying 6 months? - sales commission? - salary more than 300 baht a day? Too many employees come & go because there is no incentive to stay
Example: I will go to Hippopotamus Restaurant, a Starbucks, or a Fuji Restaurant over other places because of their better trained staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Went to Central Marina, 2nd Rd north. Don't the planners do any research about the clientele & numbers of visitors to support such a place??? Way too many restaurants -- this is not Bangkok. The kind of tourist that visits Pattaya is more of the budget traveler ( or Cheap Charlie). Maybe on weekends the BKK customer can fill up all these eateries. - but I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 2 months later...

Just got back from Central Marina.  It has become my favorite mall I just like walking around the place. Took my lady today and we had some lunch, a coffee, bought a shirt, walked around Big C and some other shops.  Spent about 3 hours there. The place was fairly crowded also mostly Thai people it seemed.  Lots of people eating.  They do have a food court downstairs behind the Mc'Donald's. Good choices but pricey compared to Festival.  There is also a food court upstairs Big C, although limited but cheaper pricing.

Many other restaurants within the mall complex.

Walked up to the theaters and they are still Thai only.  Many Thais going to the movie.  Glad they have a place to see a flick but it would be great to add a couple of English films.

Anyway, the place fits my shopping, dining needs just fine.  Looking forward to Terminal 21 however.

Edited by bkk6060

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Just got back from Central Marina.  It has become my favorite mall I just like walking around the place. 

It's good for a stroll although there's nothing I need there. I hope when a new mall opens, it has something new that I need to go there for.

• 3 months later...

So for the first time I have seen this there is a movie (Spiderman) in English with Thai subtitles at Central marina.  I have wanted to go to the movie here it looks very nice, but all movies have always been in Thai.  An English movie now and then would be nice.

Edited by bkk6060

Before (in the stone age) when Royal Garden still had cinemas
Central Marina AKA Big C North
Showed films in original language with Thai subtitles and films dubbed into Thai with the 2 voice actors using the very deep "handsome" voice
oh-hoy !

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:15 AM, bkk6060 said:

So for the first time I have seen this there is a movie (Spiderman) in English with Thai subtitles at Central marina.  I have wanted to go to the movie here it looks very nice, but all movies have always been in Thai.  An English movie now and then would be nice.

I assume you must live near there, but Central shows the same movies in English and it's only a 10 baht ride away.

After all, it is a Thai speaking country, and no one in England expects Hollywood movies dubbed into Thai in London.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I assume you must live near there, but Central shows the same movies in English and it's only a 10 baht ride away.

After all, it is a Thai speaking country, and no one in England expects Hollywood movies dubbed into Thai in London.

I am happy the Thais have a nice place to see first run movies.

But, if you knew anything about history of that mall and the theaters you would know they have never shown English speaking movies in the past.  A few with subtitles.  Pretty unusual for a major tourist city to have a modern theater with no English speaking movies. Even the less tourist cities and much less English speaking areas such as Khon Kaen and Korat have major theaters with at least one cinema showing first run movies in English.  This topic about the theaters at Central Marina has come up before, so I was just providing some new information.

As far as London they would be much smarter to make all their theaters showing movies in Arabic, as that seems to be the primary language now.

Have a good day!