A Rare Beast In Pattaya.

giddyup

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Oh man thank you sooooo much for that. I have tears of happiness running down my face, my wife thinks I have gone totally bababobo and the iPad has about shaken itself to death. 

My missus thought the same!

(about me that is)

:tongue:

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Us rodders must never forget what runs in our veins......Forget the rest....:stoner:

I was never a rodder as such ( though in my youth I would like to think I was <whoops off subject there ....>) I was into and participated in rallying at an amateur level and man if you did not recolour the insides of your underwear, you were not trying hard enough! 

Built the Mk2 from scratch getting most of the bits from the scrap yard nearby and learned a hell of a lot in the process. 

Gas flowed  fuel air mixture in my veins ( ask the local road Plod here who awarded me with a medal for the largest  and most consistent "contributor" to their retirement fund)

Edited by The Dark Lord
Spell checker changed rodder to toddler!Trying to tell me something maybe

As I remember from seeing some, (they weren't around long).....They were a massive hunk of iron - and really really ugly......

The Continentals & Chrysler 500's were massive too but had some symmetry to them.....

I remember seeing an Edsel in a used car lot in Los Gatos, CA ---------------------> sitting right next to a Facel Vega.......

Edited by pgrahmm

23 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Didnt we have Edsel's in the UK years ago?They were a smaller car (Anglia size) usually Blue with a white stripe.My dad told me that they were made to appeal to the Americans in the Uk,or those that stayed/came back after the war.But me being me,I'm probably well wrong.Which some,quick on the draw poster, will rush to tell me.

If they were imported to the UK then the UK had them, if they weren't then it didn't.  Edsels in the UK would have been the same size as Edsels in the US, nothing like the size of Anglias.  They weren't available through Ford dealers though.

3 hours ago, gdgbb said:

If they were imported to the UK then the UK had them, if they weren't then it didn't.  Edsels in the UK would have been the same size as Edsels in the US, nothing like the size of Anglias.  They weren't available through Ford dealers though.

That was all explained a good few posts ago.

??

3 hours ago, gdgbb said:

They are not scams,

I think the best was the Volvo 740 badged as 760 and sold by some at 760 prices.

Volvo used to have the system on the lines of 244 meant series 2, 4 cylinder, 4 door. 

245 meant series 2 4 cylinder 5 doors etc.

740  series 7 4 cylinder  760  series 7 6 cylinder.

Lots of people got conned believing the badges.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

I think the best was the Volvo 740 badged as 760 and sold by some at 760 prices.

Volvo used to have the system on the lines of 244 meant series 2, 4 cylinder, 4 door. 

They had something special with the 850 T-5R with the additional nomenclature indicating the turbocharging and 155 mph top speed. Mate of mine retired from the oil patch and became a used car salesman in Houston to stop the boredom and he had a red one on the lot that we borrowed a few times. Was exactly the same as the one below and it certainly could shift even with my mate and two strippers in it.

volvo_850-red.jpg

Edited by NanLaew

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

They had something special with the 850 T-5R with the additional nomenclature indicating the turbocharging and 155 mph top speed. Mate of mine retired from the oil patch and became a used car salesman in Houston to stop the boredom and he had a red one on the lot that we borrowed a few times. Was exactly the same as the one below and it certainly could shift even with my mate and two strippers in it.

volvo_850-red.jpg

Last time back in Sconny Botland I rented one of these, turbo model.

I was really surprised the way it took off when you floored it. Must have weighed about the same as a T90 tank but!!!

images (36).jpg

gdgbb.

I didnt say they were imported here.And if you get to look at the Edsel's that a much less vitriolic poster than you,posted on here you would see the ones i mean.Look back over the posts on this subject and be educated.Also for your informtion,Datsun made a car for the American market called the Datsun 280c(the Cedric)designed on American lines and internal fittings and fixtures. there are a few of them over here.Nothing as big as an American car but just as beautiful.

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Just like BMW and Merc do now.

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Last time back in Sconny Botland I rented one of these, turbo model.

I was really surprised the way it took off when you floored it. Must have weighed about the same as a T90 tank but!!!

images (36).jpg

You rented a model car?

2 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

gdgbb.

I didnt say they were imported here.And if you get to look at the Edsel's that a much less vitriolic poster than you,posted on here you would see the ones i mean.Look back over the posts on this subject and be educated.Also for your informtion,Datsun made a car for the American market called the Datsun 280c(the Cedric)designed on American lines and internal fittings and fixtures. there are a few of them over here.Nothing as big as an American car but just as beautiful.

I didn't say that you said that they were imported "here" (where?).  The Edsels that were pictured were all variants on the the same model and all were more or less the same size size, they were not Anglia-sized versions!  Are you under the impression that the Nash Metropolitan was an Edsel, perhaps?  To use your expression, look back over the posts on this subject and be educated. 

I don't know why you've brought up the Nissan but, for your information, the 280C/Cedric was not made for the American market, it was first made for the Japanese market in the early 60s and later it was available internationally, not just the US and it was never designed or marketed as a not-so-big version of anything.

5 hours ago, gdgbb said:

I didn't say that you said that they were imported "here" (where?).  The Edsels that were pictured were all variants on the the same model and all were more or less the same size size, they were not Anglia-sized versions!  Are you under the impression that the Nash Metropolitan was an Edsel, perhaps?  To use your expression, look back over the posts on this subject and be educated. 

I don't know why you've brought up the Nissan but, for your information, the 280C/Cedric was not made for the American market, it was first made for the Japanese market in the early 60s and later it was available internationally, not just the US and it was never designed or marketed as a not-so-big version of anything.

First time we saw the name Cedric my mate reckoned the next model would be a Malcom.

On 2/4/2017 at 7:56 AM, overherebc said:

couldn't even find a photo on google so picked that one.

????

More like this maybe? Did your rental have the full-length moon roof?

black v90.jpg

Meanwhile, back in 850 turbo land, the Swedes took it all very seriously.

racing 850.jpg

Apparently their latest offering of the V60 Polestar is officially billed as the fastest production Volvo ever... although at 155 mph, it's the same as they claimed for the 850 shooting brake.

v60 polestar.jpg

Edited by NanLaew

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

More like this maybe? Did your rental have the full-length moon roof?

black v90.jpg

Meanwhile, back in 850 turbo land, the Swedes took it all very seriously.

racing 850.jpg

No moon roof. Took me a few days to get used to the engine cut out and restart at lights etc.

never had that before and in the first few hours I thought it had a problem until it clicked what was happening. Still really liked the thing though, the other problem was motorway and the fact that you were moving a lot faster than you thought, easy to get caught out on the B roads as well.

On 2/3/2017 at 9:10 PM, overherebc said:

There was also a 760 4 pot but it was turbo charged and had a few more HP than the V6. I nearly bought one but settled for a V6 auto estate, I loved that car...

1 minute ago, transam said:

There was also a 760 4 pot but it was turbo charged and had a few more HP than the V6. I nearly bought one but settled for a V6 auto estate, I loved that car...

Did they ever sell those in Thailand? I don't ever recall seeing one so I 'assume' another rare beast.

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Did they ever sell those in Thailand? I don't ever recall seeing one so I 'assume' another rare beast.

Dunno, but in UK it was an option...Actually although I loved the V6, and had it for 10 years, it was probably the worse road car I ever had regarding fuel consumption...