Telecom Association vice president jailed for reckless driving

rooster59

Telecom Association vice president jailed for reckless driving

By The Nation

772389142f0c2cb3c2080e41853d22af.jpeg

Telecommunications Association of Thailand vice president Prasong Reungsirikulchai was found guilty of reckless driving yesterday and jailed for 15 days and fined Bt5,000.

A source at the Udomsuk Police Station, which is responsible to the case, said 49-year-old was sentenced at Prasong Phra Khanong Provincial Court on Friday.

The court also ordered that Prasong’s car should be impounded and suspended his driver’s licence for six months. Prasong was released on Bt30,000 bail.

Prasong’s reckless driving, where the court heard he cut in front of other vehicles and stopped in the middle of road in the Prawet area on Thursday morning, was captured on video footage that went viral in Thai social media.

Prasong tested negative for alcohol or other substance abuse. He told police, when he surrendered on Thursday afternoon, that his action was meant to teach other drivers a lesson for driving too slowly.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311686

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-08

I think we are all agreed the fella is an idiot. A 6 month driving ban and a fine is a good start, regardless of whether it deserves jail time.

Now, if we can see the same thing, with a proportional increase in penalty for the nature of the bad driving, accidents, injuries and death caused, nationwide, daily, the road fatality rate will start to drop very quickly. Every journey starts with a single step. I hope this is the first of many.

Does the fact that he was bailed for 30000 baht, presumably NOT because of an impending appeal (because he admitted guilt) mean that his sentence was in fact a 30000 baht fine plus the 5000 already paid?  Or does it simply mean that if he decides to call in at his convenience and actually serve his jail time, he will get his 30000 baht back?  The law here does not seem to make much sense!

Perhaps that last comment is the understatement of the year?

On 08/04/2017 at 7:37 AM, rooster59 said:

Telecommunications Association of Thailand vice president Prasong Reungsirikulchai was found guilty of reckless driving yesterday and jailed for 15 days and fined Bt5,000

On 08/04/2017 at 7:37 AM, rooster59 said:

The court also ordered that Prasong’s car should be impounded and suspended his driver’s licence for six months. Prasong was released on Bt30,000 bail.

How confused am I 

The big thing here is not the fine but the loss of face amongst his peers.

The sniggering behind hands will cause him more grief than any punishment. it's all about the embarrassment factor.

On 4/8/2017 at 4:37 AM, rooster59 said:

Telecommunications Association of Thailand vice president Prasong Reungsirikulchai was found guilty of reckless driving yesterday and jailed for 15 days and fined Bt5,000

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

The man is *clearly* a dangerous <deleted>, and any Judge who doesn't put him in jail immediately is *also* a d.....  And if I had been driving behind him, his insurance-company would be having a chat with my insurance-company, after their expert reviewed the damage on my car and the video from my dashboard camera.

Edited by andersonat