Trump criticised for tweet on London mayor after bridge attacks

webfact

By Yeganeh Torbati and David Shepardson

REUTERS

r8.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump makes concluding remarks as first lady Melania Trump listens at the Ford's Theatre Gala, an annual charity event to honor the legacy of President Abraham Lincoln, in Washington, U.S., June 4, 2017. REUTERS/Mike Theiler

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump came under fire on Sunday for criticizing London's mayor in the aftermath of attacks in the city that killed seven people and injured at least 48 others.

In a tweet, Trump seized on comments by London Mayor Sadiq Khan, who said Britons should not be alarmed to see more police in the streets after three men drove a van into pedestrians on London Bridge before stabbing others nearby.

"At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is 'no reason to be alarmed!'" Trump tweeted.

"We must stop being politically correct and get down to the business of security for our people. If we don't get smart it will only get worse," Trump said.

In response, a spokesperson for the London mayor said Khan "is busy working with the police, emergency services and the government to coordinate the response to this horrific and cowardly terrorist attack."

"He has more important things to do than respond to Donald Trump's ill-informed tweet that deliberately takes out of context his remarks urging Londoners not to be alarmed when they saw more police - including armed officers - on the streets," the spokesperson said.

Former Vice President Al Gore, speaking on CNN's "State of the Union" programme, said he thought Trump's tweet misrepresented what the mayor had said.

"I don't think that a major terrorist attack like this is the time to be divisive and to criticise a mayor who's trying to organise his city's response to this attack," Gore, a Democrat, said.

Senator Mark Warner, a Democrat and vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, told CNN that it "troubles" him to see the kinds of tweets Trump has put out in the aftermath of the London attacks.

'EVIL SLAUGHTER'

Trump did not mention the mayor when speaking after a gala event at Washington's Ford's Theatre later on Sunday, where he condemned the attacks as an "evil slaughter."

He said the United States would do everything in its power to assist the UK in bringing those responsible to justice.

"This bloodshed must end. This bloodshed will end," Trump said, adding he would "do what is necessary" to prevent the threat from reaching the United States.

Islamic State on Sunday claimed responsibility for the London attack.

Trump also spoke with British Prime Minister Theresa May to offer condolences and offered Washington's "full support," the White House said in a statement.

Earlier in the day, Trump cited the London attacks to push his March 6 executive order that would temporarily ban entry into the United States of people from six predominantly Muslim countries.

The ban has been blocked in the courts and Trump's legal team has asked the Supreme Court to reinstate it.

Trump has said the travel ban is needed to protect Americans from terrorist attacks. Critics say his reasoning is flawed and assail the ban as discriminatory.

Speaking on NBC's "Meet the Press" programme, former Secretary of State John Kerry said on Sunday: "A travel ban will be cannon fodder to the recruiters. It's the worst thing we could do."

Republican Senator Susan Collins told the CBS programme "Face the Nation" that she thought Trump's travel ban was "not the right way to go" because it was too broad.

The U.S. State Department said it was monitoring the security situation and advised Americans in Britain to heed the advice of local authorities and maintain their security awareness.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security issued a statement late on Saturday saying: "At this time, we have no information to indicate a specific, credible terror threat in the United States." Law enforcement officials in major U.S. cities said they were not aware of any threats but were on alert.

(Writing by , Yeganeh Torbati and Phil Stewart; Additional reporting by Lucia Mutikani and David Morgan in Washington and Angus MacSwan in London; Editing by Andrea Ricci and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-05

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, webfact said:

In response, a spokesperson for the London mayor said Khan "is busy working with the police, emergency services and the government to coordinate the response to this horrific and cowardly terrorist attack."

Not a terror attack by a Muslin believers then, right OK. :whistling:

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Not a terror attack by a Muslin believers then, right OK. :whistling:

And what does that have to do with the stupidity of Trump's comments?

"At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is 'no reason to be alarmed!'" Trump tweeted.

"He [the mayor] has more important things to do than respond to Donald Trump's ill-informed tweet that deliberately takes out of context his remarks urging Londoners not to be alarmed when they saw more police - including armed officers - on the streets," the spokesperson said.

Trump only reads headlines, if that. Maybe he can't read because he is not an educated man.

Having said that, the Brits should not be alarmed at seeing more police and military on

the streets. Having open borders and inviting those without documentation to come visit is a recipe for disaster.

But this attack was committed by the children of Muslim migrants. From an Aussie point of view, I have been

warning about this for decades.

The original migrants came to a civilised country with good intentions. Their children, with low esteem, little

assimilated education, unable to fit in, unable to play sports, probable low IQ, are teased and taunted. They

have no future unless they resort to crime or become "bouncers" at pubs and so on. More than that, the parents

complain that they have no influence on their children. "Too much freedom" they complain.

Unfortunately, this event will pass into history as even more atrocities occur. And will continue to occur.

The mayor was right. Don't be alarmed, get used to it

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

And this means trump's remark wasn't stupid, how?

My post was about the Mayor. 

I guess you don't like Trump along with a few others because his not political correct that's why you say it's stupid but his said it how see's it that's all.

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My post was about the Mayor. 

I guess you don't like Trump along with a few others because his not political correct that's why you say it's stupid but his said it how see's it that's all.

Let's refresh your memory. Here's the topic:

3 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

Trump only reads headlines, if that. Maybe he can't read because he is not an educated man.

No his a billion-air. :laugh:

4 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

They have no future unless they resort to crime or become "bouncers" at pubs and so on.

Anyone seen a Muslim believer as a bouncer at a pub. :biggrin:

More evidence that Trump isn't fit to hold the job. Tweeting rubbish, taken completely out of context of the full speech, shows he has about three functioning brain cells that only occasionally bump into each other.

21 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Let's refresh your memory. Here's the topic:

Cor strewth what part of my post was about what the Mayor said after the attack do you not understand.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/04/trump-berates-london-mayor-sadiq-khan-terror-attacks

Edited by Kwasaki

Trump says what real men should be saying. He is not political correct because political correct does more damage than good. He has balls enough to speak the truth even though it offends. He has what is becoming a lost virtue of true men. Standing up against all odds and saying what others know but are afraid to say.

3 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Trump says what real men should be saying. He is not political correct because political correct does more damage than good. He has balls enough to speak the truth even though it offends. He has what is becoming a lost virtue of true men. Standing up against all odds and saying what others know but are afraid to say.

Really? That the citizens of London should be alarmed by seeing lots of police on the street?  Promoting panic is a great idea. Whatever happened to the "stiff upper lip"?

15 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Trump should keep his incredibly stupid mouth shut. Especially when he takes things entirely out of context. The Mayor telling people extra security would be visible on the streets is an entirely different thing from suggesting he isn't concerned about terrorism. Donalds Tweet wasn't politically incorrect, it was just complete and utter rubbish.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

"We must stop being politically correct and get down to the business of security for our people. If we don't get smart it will only get worse," Trump said

9 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Really? That the citizens of London should be alarmed by seeing lots of police on the street?  Promoting panic is a great idea. Whatever happened to the "stiff upper lip"?

I think Trump is asking for the stiff upper lip from people. He is not advocating panic but for people to get strong and face the problem for what it is.and deal with it. 

The greatest fear is fear alone. The fear of people being alarmed about reality if the worst fear I can think of.

"We must stop being politically correct and get down to the business of security for our people. If we don't get smart it will only get worse," Trump said.

Ah the grand poobah of trumptopia once more takes things out of context and misrepresents what was being said for his own agenda.

He really is try to make America covfefe once more.

Edited by Bluespunk

1 minute ago, darksidedog said:

Trump should keep his incredibly stupid mouth shut. Especially when he takes things entirely out of context. The Mayor telling people extra security would be visible on the streets is an entirely different thing from suggesting he isn't concerned about terrorism. Donalds Tweet wasn't politically incorrect, it was just complete and utter rubbish.

Yes I know truth hurts especially to political manipulators. 

Who is to say it was taken out of context. Or Trump was wrong who can be so intelligent to make those judgements and declare them true. Only fools I feel.

"We must stop being politically correct and get down to the business of security for our people. If we don't get smart it will only get worse," Trump said

22 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I think Trump is asking for the stiff upper lip from people. He is not advocating panic but for people to get strong and face the problem for what it is.and deal with it. 

The greatest fear is fear alone. The fear of people being alarmed about reality if the worst fear I can think of.

The Nazi,s were able to make thousands of people walk to their graves without resistance because of fear. Thousands lead by a few.with guns.

The mayor of London is subjecting his citizens to the same mentality. A few terrorists are in control and Londoners do not aleep at night.

5 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Yes I know truth hurts especially to political manipulators. 

Who is to say it was taken out of context. Or Trump was wrong who can be so intelligent to make those judgements and declare them true. Only fools I feel.

Here is the speech. The full article can be found here. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/04/trump-berates-london-mayor-sadiq-khan-terror-attacks

“There aren’t words to describe the grief and anger that our city will be facing today. I’m appalled and furious that these cowardly terrorists would deliberately target innocent Londoners.

“There can be no justification for the acts of these terrorists and I am quite clear that we will never let them win.

“My message to Londoners and visitors to our great city is to be calm and vigilant today. You will see an increased police presence today, including armed officers and uniformed officers. There is no reason to be alarmed by this. We are the safest global city in the world. You saw last night as a consequence of our planning, our preparation, the rehearsals that take place, the swift response from the emergency services tackling the terrorists and also helping the injured.”

Now after reading the full speech, tell me once again that Donalds Tweet wasn't taken out of context. Here it is again, so you can compare. "At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is 'no reason to be alarmed!'"

You may want to be careful about using the word fool before checking out the actual facts.

4 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

“There can be no justification for the acts of these terrorists and I am quite clear that we will never let them win.

You are doing what the Mayor does you've left a word out which has the meaning of why they have been turned into terrorists. :whistling:

12 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Here is the speech. The full article can be found here. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/04/trump-berates-london-mayor-sadiq-khan-terror-attacks

“There aren’t words to describe the grief and anger that our city will be facing today. I’m appalled and furious that these cowardly terrorists would deliberately target innocent Londoners.

“My message to Londoners and visitors to our great city is to be calm and vigilant today. You will see an increased police presence today, including armed officers and uniformed officers. There is no reason to be alarmed by this. We are the safest global city in the world. You saw last night as a consequence of our planning, our preparation, the rehearsals that take place, the swift response from the emergency services tackling the terrorists and also helping the injured.”

Now after reading the full speech, tell me once again that Donalds Tweet wasn't taken out of context. Here it is again, so you can compare. "At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is 'no reason to be alarmed!'"

You may want to be careful about using the word fool before checking out the actual facts.

The mayor made a very polite nice,politically correct statement that said nothing. is what I see there. And told his people not to be alarmed. Being alarmed means just that and they should be alarmed. Alarmed does not mean anything more than highly aware. If he had said donot react because you are  alarmed I might see something of value in what he said. It is not common place for armed personnel to walk the streets of London. Alarm bells should be ringing for every one. To accept it is fear of addressing it. 

I still think fools miss the point Just my opinion of course.

Edited by lovelomsak

The London terror tweets prove Donald Trump is never going to be 'presidential'

"In one -- the first he sends out -- he uses the just-breaking terror attacks as a way to make the case for his travel ban,
which continues to be hung up in the courts."

"At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is "no reason to be alarmed!," he continued.

"In a third, he takes on those pushing gun control -- noting that they are silent because these attacks didn't involve guns."

This poor oppotunistic excuse of a man seizes on a tragic event to shamelessly pander to his brainless minority base.

Truly disgraceful.

Political manipulator indeed. Personified.

Disgusting.

Dunning Kruger.

16 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

The mayor made a very polite nice,politically correct statement that said nothing. is what I see there. And told his people not to be alarmed. Being alarmed means just that and they should be alarmed. Alarmed does not mean anything more than highly aware. If he had said donot react because you are  alarmed I might see something of value in what he said. It is not common place for armed personnel to walk the streets of London. Alarm bells should be ringing for every one. To accept it is fear of addressing it. 

I still think fools miss the point Just my opinion of course.

Your opinion appears to be very much alone. The worlds press are pretty much universal in saying Trump got it badly out of context. Clearly the comment about not being concerned was in relation to the extra security on the streets. To suggest the mayor would think a terrorist attack was not something to be concerned about is pure idiocy.I'm done with labouring this point with you as it is obvious that you are being deliberately obtuse and you are extremely close to just trolling.

TRUMP: Mayor of London says there is 'no reason to be alarmed'

KHAN: You will see an increased police presence today, including armed officers and uniformed officers. There is no reason to be alarmed by this.

So as the Mayor of London was busy working with Police and emergency services, Trump seeks to make political capital by typically distorting to appeal to his red-meat base and to the 'guy at the end of the bar'  types (child's play evidently). Sick, sick, sick.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

You are doing what the Mayor does you've left a word out which has the meaning of why they have been turned into terrorists. :whistling:

I was making a direct quote from the mayor. I didn't insert or omit anything. Hence I have to question why you are telling me I have left a word out?

Inserting things into quotes is not allowed. Perhaps if you had actually read the whole post, you might have understood it, which would have made your post pointless and unnecessary. This is about comments being made out of context, which is what my post showed.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Cor strewth what part of my post was about what the Mayor said after the attack do you not understand.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/04/trump-berates-london-mayor-sadiq-khan-terror-attacks

They don't care what you said. It's that you didn't criticize Trump, even though he only posted what more than a few of us on TVF think.

Two things are getting really tiresome:

- putting up with the amount of lies and BS, the egomaniac dipp$h1t in the White House says

- putting up with the defenders of the egomaniac dipp$h1t in the White House