Major hassle transferring bike ownership

Kenny202

Transferred 3 bikes into my name since moving to Thailand but last 2 times I had to go to the transport office first to get a letter to give immigration a letter so that they can give me a letter to take back to transport. Like comedy capers...

So I have to give transport 2 copies of passport and visa. Wait around 45 minutes. They give me a very simple letter back. I take that to immigration and copies of passport, visa stamp, home rental contract and departure card. Another 45 minutes waiting on them. That was all just to get the residency letter for transport.

And we still haven't transferred the bike yet. Went and gave the lady at the bike shop the residency letter and another copy of passport and visa and she supposedly will take care of the actual transfer with transport.

Would serve no purpose asking the reason behind all the red tape to simply transfer a vehicle...as usual no one would know or simply state it's the law. Do they really keep all of these copies and paperwork?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I know what you mean.  In Chiang Mai it now takes at least 2 weeks and normally longer to get the letter. This is what happened to me;-

"

I am writing for advice as to how to complete the registration of a car in Chiang Mai. I purchased a car in February from a UK citizen but because immigration at Chiang Mai takes at least 2 weeks for the letter of residency could not register the car before my return to the UK. My time is divided between Thailand and the UK. All of the sale and purchase documents are dated on the day of sale.

When I returned to Chiang Mai in April I obtained the "letter" after almost 3 weeks because of national holiday holidays.

I followed the procedure to register and Change the car at DLT  Chiang Mai from Bangkok, paid the tax and was given a date to collect the new plates which was the day after I returned yet again to the UK.

My friend went to collect the plates. He was told that as the vendors visa was now out of date I would need to get a copy of his new visa or a certified letter of sale. I contacted the seller who is now back in the UK and he has refused  either of these things saying I acted in a "mai pen rai " manner in not registering the car also saying that the "letter" is issued same day. This is not the case.

Any advice from members would be gratefully received. Oh and and I am still in the UK until 5th July."

The car remains unregistered wit a desperate owner.

I don't know about Chiang Mai,  but here in Phuket they give you the residency registration letter for buying or selling bikes or cars or for driving licence etc.  in 15 min (no need for any docs from land transport) ,  I took that with other docs and copies to Land transport office and transferred the bike to my name,  30 min wait,  then back after a few days for Green book..... very easy,  forms had to be filled in Thai,  and signed by two Thai witnesses... one small hassle was they couldn't read and copy chassis number off the under bike's handle bar, so had to go to dealer to do that... 

Edited by Agusts

Any advice from members would be gratefully received. Oh and and I am still in the UK until 5th July."

The seller is being a bit of an idiot !
You should try using an "agent" or "fixer" to get it registered in your name..there are normally lots hanging around (outside) the DLT
or you can try at the places that do vehicle inspections (MOT) the fixers have connections in the DLT and can get things done that no mere mortal could,and at a resonable price.

The seller is being a bit of an idiot !
You should try using an "agent" or "fixer" to get it registered in your name..there are normally lots hanging around (outside) the DLT
or you can try at the places that do vehicle inspections (MOT) the fixers have connections in the DLT and can get things done that no mere mortal could,and at a resonable price.

Dunno where people like u get off calling others idiots. Uve only highlighted ur own ignorance. What ever you do u will need a residency letter. My story is based around that. The bike shop does in fact have an agent who will take it from here. The fix it thing in any case in my experience is a myth. All they do is run around and shuffle the paperwork. They can't help you if there is a fault or problem with Ur vehicle

Hi Kenny. I think johng was referring to the guy who sold me the car. You are right about the letter of course. The seller says that I could get the letter the same day. I couldn't! I am sure his reccomendation re a "fixer" is right. I will do that next week. I would prefer to do the right thing.

I've used 3 different "fixers" mate and all they really do is move the paperwork around. Got a sports pipe on my bike and last time I was assured for 1000 baht all taken care of. It wasn't. And in any case u need to get the resident letter. A friend of mine got away initially using a very good copy. He got picked up at ho before everything was complete and had to resubmit a current original residents lettrr

Got a sports pipe on my bike and last time I was assured for 1000 baht all taken care of. It wasn't.   

Re seller being an idiot I was answering Mikeheart.

If your "sports pipe" doesn't have a T.I.S stamp then it is illegal.

5 minutes ago, johng said:

Re seller being an idiot I was answering Mikeheart.

If your "sports pipe" doesn't have a T.I.S stamp then it is illegal.

Don't know if it is stamped or not. It got passed but I had to go and have it "quietened down"

5 minutes ago, johng said:

This is a very interesting thread. 5 weeks ago I bought a new bike and gave them a residence letter.

It is now 5 weeks later and my permission to stay (as stated on the residence letter) is now just out of date. New plates and registration still not arrived. (I have since got further permission to stay)

Will my registration be rejected as the residence letter is "out of date" as the Land Transport Dept. have sat on the registration for 5 weeks and who knows how much longer.

If so, this is a Catch 22 situation as it will repeat over and over.

5 hours ago, Mikeheart said:

I know what you mean.  In Chiang Mai it now takes at least 2 weeks and normally longer to get the letter. This is what happened to me;-

"

I am writing for advice as to how to complete the registration of a car in Chiang Mai. I purchased a car in February from a UK citizen but because immigration at Chiang Mai takes at least 2 weeks for the letter of residency could not register the car before my return to the UK. My time is divided between Thailand and the UK. All of the sale and purchase documents are dated on the day of sale.

When I returned to Chiang Mai in April I obtained the "letter" after almost 3 weeks because of national holiday holidays.

I followed the procedure to register and Change the car at DLT  Chiang Mai from Bangkok, paid the tax and was given a date to collect the new plates which was the day after I returned yet again to the UK.

My friend went to collect the plates. He was told that as the vendors visa was now out of date I would need to get a copy of his new visa or a certified letter of sale. I contacted the seller who is now back in the UK and he has refused  either of these things saying I acted in a "mai pen rai " manner in not registering the car also saying that the "letter" is issued same day. This is not the case.

Pay 500b same day or next day service on residence letter

Just another case of "This is Thailand".

I had no problem transferring my bike in my name to somebody elses when I sold it.

Most establishments in Thailand make up their own rules, and I think that was your problem.

16 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

It is entirely possible. Depends whereabouts in the beauracratic chain it is. But anything is possible in Thailand. Particularly if some beauracrat has the opportunity to make something more difficult

Yes, it is 5 weeks now and nothing back yet. The letter with the old "permission to stay until" date is now just out of date.

I happened to be in the motorcycle dealership yesterday. While I was there I asked if the registration had arrived. It had not. I asked how long they usually take. The woman said, "Could be any period. Impossible to know."

When I get it back, rejected or otherwise, I will post here.

I transferred a Motor Bike from my Ex wife into my name a few weeks ago,  Certificate of residence from Jomtien Immigration ten minutes, 500 B , did not need anything from the Transport Dept., Went to a Thai lady that does everything for you, took 15 minutes,    charged 300 B for her service, she also renewed the road tax, and the insurance, went one day picked the paper work and sticker up the next day, very quick, easy and cheap, same as most things if you know what to do, she does cars and everything to do with the Transport Dept.  

Certificate of residence from Jomtien Immigration ten minutes, 500 B

Price at Jomtien gone up again ?

It was 300 baht just a while ago

Its supposed to be free....and is if you want to wait 2 weeks then when your turn up to collect ohh sorry the official who has to sign it is on holiday or sick so come back in another 2 weeks etc

Seems at least one person posting on this thread might have insisted it was free and got the run around [emoji14]

Things are a little different up here. Went to Phetchabun DLT to transfer bike registration from Surat and renew for one year. They told the gf (as no english) that I had to go to our local amphur to get a letter from them re where we were living.

The amphur said no letter as we were not married (same reason for not giving a yellow book).

I had to have a Certificate of Residence in Surat so I thought it might work here too. Printed out the application form, took it to Immigration who had not seen one before and did not know what a CoR was. But they are helpful here so they typed up a letter with my address from their computer records.

Took the letter to DLT hoping they would accept it, the gf was doubtful but she explained that the amphur would not give a letter of residence. The officer did not even look at the Immigration letter and proceeded to register the bike.

Have to love the country.

Didn't they even hint at a quicker route ?
First time I tried to get the residence certificate they told me to come back next week !
I said thats a long time I need it today they said 200 baht and come back in half an hour to collect it.

I've bought 4 vehicles now. First two times go to immigration, get resident letter and no problem. It did cost 500 baht both times though. Last 2 times immigration refused to issue a standard residents letter and said we needed to get a letter from transport requesting immigration for a resident letter..there was no fee. Why it has changed I have no idea. I can only imagine someone has complained about the 500 baht tea money imm were charging. And now maybe theyre not benefitting they figure "not their proprem".

Incidentally I tried to get a yellow book from our Amphur once as they made it so difficult to get residents letters (or anything else). The Amphur head told us we would need to bring the Tambon head, the poh jai Bahn, a couple of neighbour's and a teacher etc to vouch for me...for an all day meeting and interview. Was ridiculous. Like he thought he was issuing me permanent resident visa or something. Incidentally that particular Amphur they treat Thai people even worse than farang

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/06/2017 at 0:23 PM, Briggsy said:

Yes, it is 5 weeks now and nothing back yet. The letter with the old "permission to stay until" date is now just out of date.

I happened to be in the motorcycle dealership yesterday. While I was there I asked if the registration had arrived. It had not. I asked how long they usually take. The woman said, "Could be any period. Impossible to know."

When I get it back, rejected or otherwise, I will post here.

2 months. Still heard nothing.

Went into the dealer (Sri Racha). Woman said, "Oh we have been waiting for you. We were going to call you but we didn't because you might have been out of the country [because you are a foreigner]." (That makes sense :blink:)

As I predicted, someone in the chain decided to sit on my documents for 6 weeks and when they were submitted they were already out of date and thus rejected. So I am back to square one. I have to go to Jomtien and get a new letter (300 Baht and a wasted couple of hours).

I did ask if the same thing will re-occur. The dealer (Sri Racha) said it won't as they will be straight on to it upon receipt of the new letter. She also laid the blame squarely on the Head Office of the dealership in Chonburi for messing it up (She would, wouldn't she). They (Chonburi) have assured her (Sri Racha) next time documents will be actioned immediately upon receipt.

As before, I will get back with an update in due course. In the meantime, I have to prepare new application documents for a new residence letter.

34 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Went into the dealer (Sri Racha). Woman said, "Oh we have been waiting for you. We were going to call you but we didn't because you might have been out of the country [because you are a foreigner]." (That makes sense :blink:)

As I predicted, someone in the chain decided to sit on my documents for 6 weeks and when they were submitted they were already out of date and thus rejected. So I am back to square one. I have to go to Jomtien and get a new letter (300 Baht and a wasted couple of hours).

I did ask if the same thing will re-occur. The dealer (Sri Racha) said it won't as they will be straight on to it upon receipt of the new letter. She also laid the blame squarely on the Head Office of the dealership in Chonburi for messing it up (She would, wouldn't she). They (Chonburi) have assured her (Sri Racha) next time documents will be actioned immediately upon receipt.

As before, I will get back with an update in due course. In the meantime, I have to prepare new application documents for a new residence letter.

Ah yes typical :)

I had to get 3 certificates of residence for my Ducati because they once lost the papers and once they sat on it too long until it expired (identical to what happened to you). Just took a couple months to get a plate. Always great fun.

People can always get the 'letter', which is a Certificate of Residence, from their embassy.

It is usually 1,000-3,500thb depending on your embassy (guess which end of the scale the British Embassy is.)

You get it in 1-3 days, no bollocking about.

26 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

People can always get the 'letter', which is a Certificate of Residence, from their embassy.

It is usually 1,000-3,500thb depending on your embassy (guess which end of the scale the British Embassy is.)

You get it in 1-3 days, no bollocking about.

Yes, you can get it in one hour at Jomtien. The "bollocking about" is after handing the letter to the dealer who eventually sends it to their Head Office who then takes weeks to stick it in to the Land Transport Dept. who then take a few days to process it who then reject it as by that time the letter is out of date.

It is possible you have misunderstood the conversation. The delay and the resulting problems are nothing to do with immigration. Your comment suggests you have misread the thread. :wai: