Portrait of Thai culture as Constable shows student who is the Old Master

webfact

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, asiaexpat said:

Just another typical Thai road incident. Old man drives like he is the only one on the road and causes a teen that is not legally allowed to ride a motorbike to hit the car. Then the old man exerts his age and position to put the blame on the kid. This happens everyday all over Thailand because there is  no traffic law enforcement. The highly paternalistic culture lets elders and the rich abuse others with impunity and is accepted as a cultural norm.

All true.

Bring on total absolute police reform, including a well educated police force.

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Nothing to do with what happened here, better to stick with what's relevant and the facts.

The driver did not indicate to other road users that he intended to take a turn ( by using his indicator) which is what caused the student to hit his car.

This arrogance seems to common amoung many Thai drivers.

Yes, but as we all know the indicator requirement is honoured more in the breach than the observance. Show me a Thai driver who indicates and there's a strong likelihood that the person has lived overseas and/or has a foreign husband. 

18 minutes ago, scorecard said:

All true.

Bring on total absolute police reform, including a well educated police force.

Hardly likely to happen in our lifetime. They've had 600 years and still cannot get past Thai 1.0 let along strive for Thai 4.0!

Edited by lvr181
Correction

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Nothing to do with what happened here, better to stick with what's relevant and the facts.

The driver did not indicate to other road users that he intended to take a turn ( by using his indicator) which is what caused the student to hit his car.

Arrogance, read ignorance, total lack of common sense and like it or not, one wonders when on the road sometimes, how many monkeys there are behind the wheels of Mercs. I find most drivers are not too bad. Its always the way that the bad ones stick out further. 

Edited by Maggusoil
spelling

2 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

Yes, but as we all know the indicator requirement is honoured more in the breach than the observance. Show me a Thai driver who indicates and there's a strong likelihood that the person has lived overseas and/or has a foreign husband. 

Indicator? What indicator?  I have a steering wheel and sometimes the brakes work. Because I am 'entitled person' I can do what I like. LMAO

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

Rich, arrogant and some more words that may not be printed here.

How is it possible a constable owns a timber yard, or drive a Mercedes.

OK, I know it is an overrated, overpriced "face" car, but how can he, maybe, own one?

Hear, hear, Mercedes & BMW drivers, anywhere in the world, can't be trusted.

Woah there old boy I have a bmw....... just a minute ........

no no I don't, it is in the wife's name.

you are right

Edited by The Dark Lord

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

they indicate when there IS NO REASON to do so....they get half way past a parked vehicle then put indicator on and PUT HAZZARD warning lights on when wanting to go straight forward at a JUNCTION ....this is NOT WHAT hazzard warning lights are on vehicles for...

I see many comments making statements about the child being on a motorbike, but saw no reference to that in the OP perhaps the child was riding a bicycle?

also 555, I wonder if this was the same person filling his mercedez then taking off without paying for the gas in an older article?

I notice many <deleted> driving mercedez, bmw's, volvos & even hondas driving as if they were the only ones on the road. 

Recently I was riding my scooter slowly between traffic lanes and some woman busy gabbing on her cell phone as driving started to cross the lane squeezing me between the 2 vehicles I gently tapped on her door to alert her there were others using the road, and she rolled down the window and cursed me as I moved on. (The driver to my right saw what was going on and moved over to allow me to pass safely)

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Oopsie

I had a so called thai friend drive past me in his pride and joy a Toyota pickup but he swerved at the last minute towards me in a clear road. 

I had my back to my parked red car so no chance of moving. 

As he he narrowly missed my croc infested feet I slapped hard on his pride and joy. 

He he was furious. Not speaking English he did not follow my reprimand for driving like a dick . My wife refused to translate as I was obviously wrong as I am not thai even though she was close to being a RTA statistic as well. 

47 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

I had a so called thai friend drive past me in his pride and joy a Toyota pickup but he swerved at the last minute towards me in a clear road. 

I had my back to my parked red car so no chance of moving. 

As he he narrowly missed my croc infested feet I slapped hard on his pride and joy. 

He he was furious. Not speaking English he did not follow my reprimand for driving like a dick . My wife refused to translate as I was obviously wrong as I am not thai even though she was close to being a RTA statistic as well. 

That 'wife' again

Typical of Thailand 100 years ago, typical of Thailand now and typical of Thailand in 100 years time.  All the countries around them progress and Thailand remains in the Dark Ages where it will stay for Centuries to come !

5 hours ago, phetpeter said:

So many things wrong here, Driver no indication, student no more than M3 (in scout uniform under age). No crash helmet, probably no insurance, and license. 

Doesn't change the fact that the a/hole copper is wrong on many counts, if the kid has a licence and insurance and had of been wearing a helmet -- same outcome.

2 hours ago, garbolino said:

they indicate when there IS NO REASON to do so....they get half way past a parked vehicle then put indicator on and PUT HAZZARD warning lights on when wanting to go straight forward at a JUNCTION ....this is NOT WHAT hazzard warning lights are on vehicles for...

Correct, not what they are normally used (except in LOS),  but at least you know the driver is partially awake and is ready to force their way across an intersection. So no complaints, be happy you know what is likely to happen.

3 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

Woah there old boy I have a bmw....... just a minute ........

no no I don't, it is in the wife's name.

you are right

Does she drive it? Can she be trusted?

Just now, Maggusoil said:

Does she drive it? Can she be trusted?

No to both there. Last time she "drove it" she had donned the "the Issan crazy" about me fancying some mythical and unidentified or specified girl or katoi which was utter tripe. She then reversed it into a wall managing to bugger up the rear bumper for which she has yet to acknowledge responsibility for. 

Instead of doing so so she prefers to invent some halfarsed story about a gik that I supposedly have in Pattaya.

fortunately it now lies in the bmw hospital with a very expensive head gasket problem that I have washed my hands of now. 

23 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Just an everyday event in Thailand.  No matter how many times foreigners complain about the injustices the Thai people consider this to be the Thai way.

Yup, still a feudal society. Suppress the education of the masses, control what they read or see and they will not challenge those in charge.